Denmark: Danish Prospects

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
There is this Lithuanian 17 year-old Nikita Piazenko in Herning's system, currently with 3 points in 5 games in the Danish 2nd league. How good is it and how does it project regarding his future? Some of the lower-end Danish U18 NT players seem to have similar numbers.

If we disregard the very small sample size, his production is certainly acceptable. As you write, it put him on the same level as some Danish youth national team players. And I suppose he would fight for a spot on the Lithuanian U18 national team. But I have never seen him play, so this is purely based on his stats for last season and the current one.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well he will be on our U18 for sure and quite likely even on U20. But what I'm most curious about is what are his chances of turning pro in Denmark based on those numbers. I understand the sample size is really small but it also doesn't appear like you guys play too many games at the junior level.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
Watched the last ten minutes of Slovakia vs Denmark. I noticed how little Marcus Almquist is, which is natural. He is only 15. (he was not enough on the puck to judge his game). A bit impressive that he can be a ppg player in the Danish div 1. (second tier). On the other hand, his frame needs to get bigger to make him more dominant. Only time can tell...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Watched the last ten minutes of Slovakia vs Denmark. I noticed how little Marcus Almquist is, which is natural. He is only 15. (he was not enough on the puck to judge his game). A bit impressive that he can be a ppg player in the Danish div 1. (second tier). On the other hand, his frame needs to get bigger to make him more dominant. Only time can tell...

Scandinavian kids often develop more slowly, but as he is by far the biggest prospect we have currently he will be very interesting to follow the next couple of years.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
J16 NT - cause for worries now? Oh yes!
Den - Lat 2-8
Den - Fra 2-8
Den - Nor 0-10

I’ve been following Danish NT junior hockey for more than 10 years, and I can’t remember any results this bad!!

Hopefully part of it is due to opt outs or injuries. Almquist is u16, and he would have been a huge reinforcement, but in no way that alone could explain these terrible results. Is winther coming for the Danish prospects development? The J17 wasn’t much better yesterday...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
J16 NT - cause for worries now? Oh yes!
Den - Lat 2-8
Den - Fra 2-8
Den - Nor 0-10

I’ve been following Danish NT junior hockey for more than 10 years, and I can’t remember any results this bad!!

Hopefully part of it is due to opt outs or injuries. Almquist is u16, and he would have been a huge reinforcement, but in no way that alone could explain these terrible results. Is winther coming for the Danish prospects development? The J17 wasn’t much better yesterday...
We have been blessed with great talents, though our prospect pool is quite small.
Yet the prospect pool is not that big for Norway, France and Latvia either; so it is quite worrisome they are beaten so badly 3 times over.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
No...

Player development is a process that begins early but doesn't end early.
Common knowledge that some players develope early while others later, but that is not the point here. Point is that the results of this j16 team is comparatively much worse than earlier results from the j16 teams . Denmark used to be equal to e.g. Norway
Now they loose 0-10. 10 goals difference!

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Common knowledge that some players develope early while others later, but that is not the point here. Point is that the results of this j16 team is comparatively much worse than earlier results from the j16 teams . Denmark used to be equal to e.g. Norway
Now they loose 0-10. 10 goals difference!
A little secret.

For the mid-major nations, U16 results rarely mean anything.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
A little secret.

For the mid-major nations, U16 results rarely mean anything.
Still as Marras notes on ihc on the same tournement results:
“Not sure what happened for Denmark at this tournament.

The junior-program seems to have taken a step back in recent years, but these scores are still abysmal and something usually seen against Top-Nations like Sweden and Finland”

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Still as Marras notes on ihc on the same tournement results:
“Not sure what happened for Denmark at this tournament.

The junior-program seems to have taken a step back in recent years, but these scores are still abysmal and something usually seen against Top-Nations like Sweden and Finland”
When the Austrian 00 and 01 class were in the U16 division we regularly lost to countries like Hungary, Italy, and Slovenia.

Think about it this way. By the time these kids are 19, a third to half of them will no longer be playing hockey. The U teams under U18 are not federation sponsored, so poorer kids who can't pay their own fare don't play at these tournaments. If lucky, each class will have 2 or 3 good prospects total, and if unlucky, none at all.

I wouldn't read too much into it. If this class produces one or two gems, it will be sufficient for the purposes of enhancing the national team in the future.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Marcus Almquist looks promising. Played for HV71 in a U16 tournament in Gothenburg and was tied for the tournament lead in scoring, including 4 goals in the championship game. Many of the top end Swedish players participated.

U16 Scandinavium Cup | stats.swehockey.se

I can tell you that Almqvist already is the biggest or second biggest offensive threat on the Danish U18 squad.

The U18 team played a tournament about a month ago and as it progressed and Almqvist felt more and more comfortable with mostly two year old players, he started dominating offensively.

He sure is a small guy, but Jonas Røndbjerg was also a very tiny fellow when he played on the U18 as U16-player and all of a sudden he grew 20 centimeters so I guess Almqvist might do the same. You never know when their last growing spur occurs.

Anyway Almqvist is extremely opportunistic and challenging all the time. He put in some nice passes to go along with his intriguing dekes and soft hands. He didn't exactly do much on the defensive, so I don't know if it's in him to do that. I have only watched him in those three games.

The only offensive player looking as dangerous as Almqvist on that U18 squad was Mikkel Jensen. They played on seperate lines.

The thing is: The team was bad. They didn't show much of a passing game, so I don't know if Almqvist has a good passing game in him. The nice passes I refered to was not a part of what I would call a passing game, it was more just "here you go, I can't go further without losing the puck, so I might as well pass it now" or passes to a shot. No give-and-go's or anything like that.

Almqvist probably wasn't a sho-in for the Danish U18 from the beginning of the season, and was left out of the first tournament, but I can't see him left out for the Worlds since they have so few offensive threats. Had the 01's been one of the good Danish classes like the 87's, 89's, 93's, 95's and even 97's he probably could have been left out easily, but not with the 01's. They need offense badly!

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I can tell you that Almqvist already is the biggest or second biggest offensive threat on the Danish U18 squad.

The U18 team played a tournament about a month ago and as it progressed and Almqvist felt more and more comfortable with mostly two year old players, he started dominating offensively.

He sure is a small guy, but Jonas Røndbjerg was also a very tiny fellow when he played on the U18 as U16-player and all of a sudden he grew 20 centimeters so I guess Almqvist might do the same. You never know when their last growing spur occurs.

Anyway Almqvist is extremely opportunistic and challenging all the time. He put in some nice passes to go along with his intriguing dekes and soft hands. He didn't exactly do much on the defensive, so I don't know if it's in him to do that. I have only watched him in those three games.

The only offensive player looking as dangerous as Almqvist on that U18 squad was Mikkel Jensen. They played on seperate lines.

The thing is: The team was bad. They didn't show much of a passing game, so I don't know if Almqvist has a good passing game in him. The nice passes I refered to was not a part of what I would call a passing game, it was more just "here you go, I can't go further without losing the puck, so I might as well pass it now" or passes to a shot. No give-and-go's or anything like that.

Almqvist probably wasn't a sho-in for the Danish U18 from the beginning of the season, and was left out of the first tournament, but I can't see him left out for the Worlds since they have so few offensive threats. Had the 01's been one of the good Danish classes like the 87's, 89's, 93's, 95's and even 97's he probably could have been left out easily, but not with the 01's. They need offense badly!
Jonas Torbensen? Maksim Popovic? Nicolai Harries Andersen?

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Do they qualify as offense? Thoughts?

I would have certainly put Popovic and Torbensen ahead of Almqvist before december, but in that tournament last month Almqvist just soared ahead of them. When it comes to the Worlds in April hopefully the two others will show more bite.

Popovic has very good hands and a scorers touch. He also stands up for himself physically and tends to get feisty every now and then. If he could get more wisely feisty in every shift he could have a pretty good career ahead of him, but often he's not working hard enough. But absolutely an offensive threat on his good shifts. Compared to Almqvist he's just not flying around doing stuff the whole time though.

Torbensen is pretty fast and has a very good size as well. To me he just seems a bit confused about his positioning, but he also seems able to score every now and then.

Harries is quite average, but a good basic worker.

Christian Dreier and Lukas Bang in my eyes seems better than Torbensen and Harries. Dreier has good hand to eye coordination making him a little dangerous from the distance as well, while Bang is the kind of player to drive the play offensively and I also think the Hvidovre players Mathias Hansen and Christian Thunbo will contribute on offense. I like Anders Biel a lot too, but he's more of a two way team player.

It's not entirely miserable, but there are just not any players of the same magnitude that we have seen for about a decade. The absolute top players seems to have vanished, where as the depth on the other hand seems better.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
The absolute top players seems to have vanished, where as the depth on the other hand seems better.

I’m totally on par with you. This is exactly what I see, and actually we saw the same with the j20. In most games the played OK, but they didn’t have they high end players to make the goals.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Don't tell me you're referencing the WJC?

I'm sure you are trying to blame everything on the rest of the team, but it doesn't explain letting in about 6-7 soft goals in the games against Canada, Switzerland and Czech Republic and especially the six goals on just 21 shots in the all decisive relegation matches against Kazakhstan.

He also blew it big time in the U18 Worlds in the spring of 2018. Christian Elmose took over as starter after a miserable couple of showings by Søgaard. I'm sure he does well in Medincine Hat this season. They must play exactly the way that fits him well because in the Danish national team he hasn't shown any signs of reading plays well and moving very well on the ice. Perhaps Medicin Hat tells him to just stay put, we will make sure you get easy shots from good points with very few screenings or whatever.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I'm sure you are trying to blame everything on the rest of the team, but it doesn't explain letting in about 6-7 soft goals in the games against Canada, Switzerland and Czech Republic and especially the six goals on just 21 shots in the all decisive relegation matches against Kazakhstan.

He also blew it big time in the U18 Worlds in the spring of 2018. Christian Elmose took over as starter after a miserable couple of showings by Søgaard. I'm sure he does well in Medincine Hat this season. They must play exactly the way that fits him well because in the Danish national team he hasn't shown any signs of reading plays well and moving very well on the ice. Perhaps Medicin Hat tells him to just stay put, we will make sure you get easy shots from good points with very few screenings or whatever.
Denmark's display is likely the worst defensive performance (and effort) I've ever seen from a national team. How do you define, "soft goals?" There isn't necessarily a consensus as to what is soft and what is not. Denmark provided no net coverage, could barely cover the slot, screened Sogaard, zone exits were horrendous, and cross crease passes were copious. I don't think you realize how difficult it is to be a goaltender when you have to survey every skater. Withal, Denmark hardly played the boards at any point in the tourney. Nearly every opportunity in their end was quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad