Denmark: Danish Prospects

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Anybody have any info on how Nikolaj Krag-Christensen has looked? It's hard to find any good info on the more obscure leagues in the States. I know he was trying to make a switch to the Finnish league, but ended up in Rungsted (if I remember correctly). I'm not super high on him, but he has been a bright spot on the young Danish teams for a few years now, and I'm curious how he's doing in Europe.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Anybody have any info on how Nikolaj Krag-Christensen has looked? It's hard to find any good info on the more obscure leagues in the States. I know he was trying to make a switch to the Finnish league, but ended up in Rungsted (if I remember correctly). I'm not super high on him, but he has been a bright spot on the young Danish teams for a few years now, and I'm curious how he's doing in Europe.

He has indeed ended up in Rungsted. I dont follow the Danish league closely, so cant really tell anything about him, but if that is the level he can compete on right now, then you should probably forget that ever heard of him :) A bit harsh maybe, but looking at the numbers, he hasnt exactly impressed there either.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
He has indeed ended up in Rungsted. I dont follow the Danish league closely, so cant really tell anything about him, but if that is the level he can compete on right now, then you should probably forget that ever heard of him :) A bit harsh maybe, but looking at the numbers, he hasnt exactly impressed there either.
Thanks for the info! Sucks to hear that, but he was a late pick so oh well.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Valdemar,

Is there any truth to this?

Petri Skriko er bekymret over de dansk talenter - Hockeymagasinet.dk - Alt om ishockey

Is Skriko correct, has Denmark failed to use the massive momentum swing hockey has had in Denmark the last two decades?

Worrying, if this will mean Denmark will start to regress al'a Norway.

I think there are some truth in his statement. The 1996-1998 born looks pretty strong. The 1999 looks okay, but the next couple of years do not seem to produce the same amount of talent.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Valdemar,

Is there any truth to this?

Petri Skriko er bekymret over de dansk talenter - Hockeymagasinet.dk - Alt om ishockey

Is Skriko correct, has Denmark failed to use the massive momentum swing hockey has had in Denmark the last two decades?

Worrying, if this will mean Denmark will start to regress al'a Norway.

I think your question needs a more detailed answer than I have time to write now, but don't be too disheartened. Denmark IS producing high quality prospects, but some birth years will be better than others, and it seems like birth year 2000 will be somewhat weaker than we could have hoped for, but then again it seems better than birth year 1990 and to some extend 1992. There seems to be top end forwards from the birth year 2001 and 2003 and a great D-man from birth year 2004. We cannot expect to produce NHL caliber talents each and every year, that is simply impossible with the few rinks we have.
We most likely will become an elevator team in the U20 again, but that is the norm. The strange thing is that we have managed to stay up among the best nations as long as we have. We have hit a peak with the birth years 1995 to 1999, and now it will be more back to normal.
From a Herning perspective things may look bleak (Petri Skriko is head coach in Hernings profesional department), they have declined as a talent power house unfortunately. But the youth programs in other clubs have really stepped up and Rødovre is still going strong.
The worst problem for Denmark in my opinion is, that some of the countries we normally compare us up against have improved their development programs, and the competition in the U18 and U20 will only get tougher.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
What is the deal with Morten Jensen? 21 years old, 6'0", 181 pounds, seemed to have earned his keep in the Danish league. When will we see him with the National Team and when will he be moving back to Sweden?

6 years ago I thought he would be the next great D-man for Denmark, but apparently that wasn't to be. He can still become a good player, but the last 2-3 years he has failed to take the next step and establish himself e.g. in the SHL. He is still young though and maybe next year he will be ready for a bigger foreign league.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
6 years ago I thought he would be the next great D-man for Denmark, but apparently that wasn't to be. He can still become a good player, but the last 2-3 years he has failed to take the next step and establish himself e.g. in the SHL. He is still young though and maybe next year he will be ready for a bigger foreign league.
So 28 in 50 as a 20-21 year old didn't really impress you?

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
So 28 in 50 as a 20-21 year old didn't really impress you?

It is a question of perspective. I had imagined him to have a trajectory maybe not similar to Philip Larsen but close to. Going back to Denmark and not staying in Sweden, was disappointing for me. I'm not saying that 28 points in 50 games in the best Danish league at his age is not impressive, but I question if it was the right move for him in the first place. Wouldn't it have been better for him to play in the Allsvenskan and move up from there?

Reactions: kabidjan18

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
No Danes were picked in the 2018 NHL entry draft. That was more or less expected, even though I had hopes for Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
This really lacks nuances. You guys just refer to points without discussing how the players actually play the game. Morten Jensen is way too bad on his skates and physically to not mention this along with his production. I'm not saying he couldn't get a chance to play National Team hockey at some point, but he is absolutely not strong in the areas where you would want an international defender to be strong. A parallel could be Philip Brugisser or perhaps to a degree Simon Grønvaldt. When the game gets too intense in Denmarks own zone all of these guys will be a problem for Denmark defensively. Not physically strong enough, not a good enough understanding of how to move around defensively with the opposing players and technically lacking parts of the skating. Actually you can throw Nicolai Weichel into this equation as well, though Weichel has international strength, stamina and will power to make him a slightly better fit.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
This really lacks nuances. You guys just refer to points without discussing how the players actually play the game. Morten Jensen is way too bad on his skates and physically to not mention this along with his production. I'm not saying he couldn't get a chance to play National Team hockey at some point, but he is absolutely not strong in the areas where you would want an international defender to be strong. A parallel could be Philip Brugisser or perhaps to a degree Simon Grønvaldt. When the game gets too intense in Denmarks own zone all of these guys will be a problem for Denmark defensively. Not physically strong enough, not a good enough understanding of how to move around defensively with the opposing players and technically lacking parts of the skating. Actually you can throw Nicolai Weichel into this equation as well, though Weichel has international strength, stamina and will power to make him a slightly better fit.

Since few of us actually has the chance to see any youth prospects at all we can do is to go on statistics.
So your assessment of the different Danish defenders is very welcome, but just remember that we don't lack nuances in our discussion because of inability to discuss them.

Reactions: Hulide

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Updated prospect list for the years 2001 to 2005

Here is my updated list of the best young Danish prospects seen from my point of view. I have included the birth year 2001 to 2005 and have also mentioned a single player born in 2006.

As I have written before: The information is gathered from around the web (statistically data, game reports and articles), and is not based on first hand viewing.

The players are divided into two groups: Top prospects and Honourable Mention (HM). In the HM group the players are listed in no particular order.

Please don't take this list too seriously; it's a crap shot at best, especially for the youngest players.

Born 2001
Top prospect:
None

HM:
Alberto Pison Stærmose, Newbridge Academy U18 (CAN) (F)
Jonas Brøndberg, Växjö Lakers HC (SWE) (D) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Sean Michalewich, Red Deer Chiefs Midget AAA (CAN) (F)
Christian Kongsbak Dreier, Malmö Redhawks (SWE) (F)
Jonathan Brinkman Andersen, Aalborg Pirates (F) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Simon Schleicher, Herning (F)
Maksim Popovic, Herlev Eagles (F) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Frederik Søgaard, Herning (G)
Anders Biel, SønderjydskE (F)
Mathias Lehmann Hansen, Hvidovre (F)
Christian Elmose Christensen, Gentofte Stars (G) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Anton B. Bruzellus Hansen, HPK (FIN) (D)

Born 2002
Top prospect:
None

HM:
Sebastian Vesterø Uldal, Vojens (F)
Jeppe Müller, Vojens (F)
Mikkel Skjellerup, Hvidovre (D)
Kasper Larsen, Rødovre (D)
Carl Almlund, Rungsted (F)
Magnus Lykke Jonassen, Herlev (F)

Born 2003
Top prospects:
Marcus Almquist, Rødovre (F)
Philip Nolsøe, Aalborg (F)

HM:
Magnus Rosenørn Boesen, AaB (F)
Andreas Schou Nielsson, AaB (F)
Conrad Ahlberg, Gentofte (F)
Conrad Schmidt, Gentofte (F)
Mikko Lønne Sørensen, Herning (F)
Tobias Svenson, Vojens (F)
Viktor Bergqvist, Rungsted (D)

Born 2004
Top prospect:
Anton Ibman Stenbakken, Frederikshavn (D)

HM:
Sebastian Holm Pedersen, Frederikshavn (F)
Jonas Karup Haugaard, Aalborg (F)
Gustav Lykke, Rødovre (F)
Magnus Banke-Eriksen, Rødovre (F)
Aya Juhl Petersen, Rødovre (G) (girl)
Lucas Husted Leszkowicz, Malmö Redhawks (SWE) (F)
Wictor Husted Leszkowicz, Malmö Redhawks (SWE) (F)

Born 2005
Top prospect:
Hjalte Kruse Thomsen, Herning (F)

HM:
Albert Schioldan, Frederikshavn (F) - son of Christian Schioldan
Magnus Vangsted, Frederikshavn (F)
Oscar Fisker Mølgaard, Frederikshavn (F) - son of Lars Mølgaard
Victor Schmidt Nielsen, Rødovre (D)
Mathias Kløve Mogensen, Vojens (F)
Jens Zion, Vojens (F)

Born 2006
Top prospect:
Anton Linde, Rødovre (F)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Here is my updated list of the best young Danish prospects seen from my point of view. I have included the birth year 2001 to 2005 and have also mentioned a single player born in 2006.

As I have written before: The information is gathered from around the web (statistically data, game reports and articles), and is not based on first hand viewing.

The players are divided into two groups: Top prospects and Honourable Mention (HM). In the HM group the players are listed in no particular order.

Please don't take this list too seriously; it's a crap shot at best, especially for the youngest players.

Thanks Valdemar for this list.

Interesting that you added top prospects for the years 2003-2006, but none in 2001-2002.
Besides Almquist I have no knowledge of these younger guys (& girl), so have you heard/soon anything of Nolsøe, Stenbakken, Kruse Thomsen & Linde that makes them especially stand out?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Born 2001
Top prospect:
None

HM:
Alberto Pison Stærmose, Newbridge Academy U18 (CAN) (F)
Jonas Brøndberg, Växjö Lakers HC (SWE) (D) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Sean Michalewich, Red Deer Chiefs Midget AAA (CAN) (F)
Christian Kongsbak Dreier, Malmö Redhawks (SWE) (F)
Jonathan Brinkman Andersen, Aalborg Pirates (F) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Simon Schleicher, Herning (F)
Maksim Popovic, Herlev Eagles (F) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Frederik Søgaard, Herning (G)
Anders Biel, SønderjydskE (F)
Mathias Lehmann Hansen, Hvidovre (F)
Christian Elmose Christensen, Gentofte Stars (G) He participated on the Danish 2018 WJC-18 team.
Anton B. Bruzellus Hansen, HPK (FIN) (D)

Born 2002
Top prospect:
None

HM:
Sebastian Vesterø Uldal, Vojens (F)
Jeppe Müller, Vojens (F)
Mikkel Skjellerup, Hvidovre (D)
Kasper Larsen, Rødovre (D)
Carl Almlund, Rungsted (F)
Magnus Lykke Jonassen, Herlev (F)

Born 2003
Top prospects:
Marcus Almquist, Rødovre (F)
Philip Nolsøe, Aalborg (F)

HM:
Magnus Rosenørn Boesen, AaB (F)
Andreas Schou Nielsson, AaB (F)
Conrad Ahlberg, Gentofte (F)
Conrad Schmidt, Gentofte (F)
Mikko Lønne Sørensen, Herning (F)
Tobias Svenson, Vojens (F)
Viktor Bergqvist, Rungsted (D)

Born 2004
Top prospect:
Anton Ibman Stenbakken, Frederikshavn (D)

HM:
Sebastian Holm Pedersen, Frederikshavn (F)
Jonas Karup Haugaard, Aalborg (F)
Gustav Lykke, Rødovre (F)
Magnus Banke-Eriksen, Rødovre (F)
Aya Juhl Petersen, Rødovre (G) (girl)
Lucas Husted Leszkowicz, Malmö Redhawks (SWE) (F)
Wictor Husted Leszkowicz, Malmö Redhawks (SWE) (F)

Born 2005
Top prospect:
Hjalte Kruse Thomsen, Herning (F)

HM:
Albert Schioldan, Frederikshavn (F) - son of Christian Schioldan
Magnus Vangsted, Frederikshavn (F)
Oscar Fisker Mølgaard, Frederikshavn (F) - son of Lars Mølgaard
Victor Schmidt Nielsen, Rødovre (D)
Mathias Kløve Mogensen, Vojens (F)
Jens Zion, Vojens (F)

Born 2006
Top prospect:
Anton Linde, Rødovre (F)

Thanks for posting the list!!

What is the news on Marcus Almquist? I thought he went to Malmø but eliteprospects have him back in Rødovre now. Seems weird with the numbers he put up...

triguy

May 11, 2015
Sorry, but you're way off with some of the 04s... The twins are just hyped up from the recent TV Program - they struggled sometimes to make the Rodovre U13 team a couple of years ago (the reason for move) and they are far too small. You're missing Anton Also (D) - got best defenceman at u13 national champs - big, strong, works very hard. Lykke hasn't played for Rodovre for 2-3 years - think he's Herlev now - he's good, no better than any other strong player, but definitely not a prospect. Agree with 06 Linde, and there are still some strong 05s around.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Sorry, but you're way off with some of the 04s... The twins are just hyped up from the recent TV Program - they struggled sometimes to make the Rodovre U13 team a couple of years ago (the reason for move) and they are far too small. You're missing Anton Also (D) - got best defenceman at u13 national champs - big, strong, works very hard. Lykke hasn't played for Rodovre for 2-3 years - think he's Herlev now - he's good, no better than any other strong player, but definitely not a prospect. Agree with 06 Linde, and there are still some strong 05s around.

Hi Triguy.
If you have some actual viewing of these kids - or other "inside" information" I know some of us would love to know more as we don't have the opportunity to see these kids with our own eyes, so it will rely on stats and newspaper articles (including hyped ones).

triguy

May 11, 2015
Thanks Justinov - I'm far from a hockey expert, but I do get eyes on Sjaelland kids 04s and down regularly so will keep my eyes open... I find it hard to assess sometimes when one team is more or less better than all the others and so a 3rd line guy in that team may well be the star in another... But in terms of 04-06 standouts on this side, I'd say there are a lot of 'strong' kids but none that jump out, except Linde and of course that's very early to say...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thanks Justinov - I'm far from a hockey expert, but I do get eyes on Sjaelland kids 04s and down regularly so will keep my eyes open... I find it hard to assess sometimes when one team is more or less better than all the others and so a 3rd line guy in that team may well be the star in another... But in terms of 04-06 standouts on this side, I'd say there are a lot of 'strong' kids but none that jump out, except Linde and of course that's very early to say...

That would be really great if you could share you thoughts occasionally. I would agree that it's very hard in most team sports - it's only really technical skills (stick handling) that is very obvious to the viewer. For instance who would later become great defensemen must be almost impossible to predict.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There is this Lithuanian 17 year-old Nikita Piazenko in Herning's system, currently with 3 points in 5 games in the Danish 2nd league. How good is it and how does it project regarding his future? Some of the lower-end Danish U18 NT players seem to have similar numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->