Denmark: Danish Prospects

triguy

May 11, 2015
Stats from U13 played 24-26 of March.

Frederikshavn did smash a lot of teams in the tournament.

Frederikshavn - Aalborg 7-2
Frederikshavn - Vojens 7-1
Frederikshavn - Rødovre 3-7 (only game lost) - Rødovre had three games with scoring 7 as their best.
Frederikshavn - Herlev 10-3
Frederikshavn - Esbjerg 10-2
Frederikshavn - Rungsted 12-0
Frederikshavn - Gentofte 5-2

So with 54 goals, Frederikshavn scored 20 more than the second most scoring team Rødovre with 34 goals.
Rødovre won the championship by winning over Frederikshavn, even though they lost themselves to Gentofte.
So Frederikshavn did ice an awesome attack as it was a round-robin tournament. The top-4 producers were all from Frederikshavn.
Source: http://www.sportsadmin.dk/hockeystats/Default.aspx?tournamentid=1325

Worth noting perhaps that more than half of Rodovre's team (including both goalies) that won will be in the same age group next year. I predict they will be a very strong U13 team for the 2017-18 season, hopefully in Sweden also.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup has production wise really had an down-and-up season.

Back in 2014-15 he looked like an amazing gold-scoring machine with 40G in 23 games playing in USPHL 16U and one was tempted to think about a possible draft pick.
Last season (15-16) was a bit more modest with 17G in 30 games in USPHL Premier, so no drafting in site.

This season he started playing in the USHL and only produced 2G in 29 games which certainly doesn't look career promising; but after moving to NAHL things have really turned back on track for him, 15G in 26 games!
Next season he will play in the NCAA.

So will be interesting to see what level he will eventually reach career wise.

He was drafted in the USHL draft this past week by the Fargo Force. With this, I question if he is going to college in the fall or not.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
sorry if I didn't read all the post but anyone saw Rondbjerg play and could tell me more ?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
sorry if I didn't read all the post but anyone saw Rondbjerg play and could tell me more ?

184 cm, 80 kg, switched to SHL club Växjö Lakers last season. Started on their J20 Superelit team and ended up on their SHL team in the second part of the season. Not a new Ehlers, but less is also acceptable. Nr. 19 on latest ranking for euroskaters for the 2017 draft. Dont know much about him to be honest, but seems like our biggest talent this year.

Not elite in anything, but good overall. Works hard and has a humble approach. If he gets drafted I would project him as a new Jannik Hansen type of player.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Congratulation to Jonas Røndbjerg who was picked by Vegas Golden Knights as no. 65 (3rd round) in the NHL Entry Draft, and to Malte Setkov who was picked by Detroit Red Wings as no. 100 (4th round). Both were picked before I expected, specially Malte Setkov, who I thought would only have a chance for a wild card ie. 6.-7. round.

I'm very pleased that we again gets a D-man drafted. It is a testimony to the increased level of our young defenders.

Not elite in anything, but good overall. Works hard and has a humble approach. If he gets drafted I would project him as a new Jannik Hansen type of player.

I have seen the Jannik Hansen comparison before but to me he looks more like a Frans Nielsen type of player. Jannik Hansen has a physical edge and aggressiveness to his game that I don't see in Jonas Røndbjerg. But we will see.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Danish prospects playing abroad

Below is a list of Danish prospects born in 1999 or younger that will be playing abroad this coming season. I will try to keep the list updated when new transfers are made.

Lucas Andersen F (1999), Roedovre will transfer til Jokerit (FIN)
Albert Adamsen G (1999), Okanagan HC Europe (USA) will transfer to Dauphin Kings (CAN)
Peter Eg Larsen F (1999), HC Letnany U18 (CZE) will transfer to HC Sparta Praha U20 (CZE)
Albert Philip Praem F (1999), Varnamo GIK (SWE) will transfer to Olofstroms IK (SWE)
Andreas Kikkenborg F (1999) is playing in Olofstroms IK (SWE)
Jonas Roendbjerg F (1999) is playing in Vaxjo Lakers HC (SWE)
David Madsen F (1999) is playing in Vaxjo Lakers HC (SWE)
Daniel Mads Baastrup Andersen D (1999) is playing in Linkoping HC (SWE)
Malte Setkov D (1999) is playing in Malmo Redhawks (SWE)
Soeren Dietz-Larsen F (1999) is playing in IK Oskarshamn (SWE)
Jeppe Urup Mogensen F (1999) is playing in AIK (SWE)
Lukas Bach Nielsen F (2000) is playing in Zug (SUI)
David Lillegaard Grubak G (2000) is playing in Backen HC (SWE)
Emil Bredvig F (2000), Herning will transfer to Tingsryds AIF (SWE)
Mikkel Pedersen F (2000) Olofstroms IK (SWE) will transfer to Tingsryds AIF (SWE)
Max Vilstrup Olesen D (2000), Herlev will transfer to Vaxjo Lakers HC (SWE)
Gustav Green F (2000), Rungsted will transfer to Malmo Redhawks (SWE)
Alberto Pison Staermose F (2001) is playing in Newbridge Academy U18 (CAN)
Jonas Broendberg D (2001), Aalborg will transfer to Vaxjo Lakers HC (SWE)
Christian Kongsbak Dreier F (2001), Frederikshavn IK will transfer to Malmo Redhawks (SWE)
Nicolai Kristiansen G (2001), Odense will transfer to RedBull Hockey Akademie (SUI)
Marcus Almquist F (2003), Roedovre will transfer to Malmo Redhawks (SWE)

Hungry

May 15, 2017
Blichfeld has been out the last week or so with a concussion. A shame as I thought he'd be in for a big year, hopefully he'll be back soon. This year's U20 team doesn't look as deep as last year's (understandably so) but hopefully will be deeper than the typical year, and enough to stay up another year.

On a semi related note, it seems the depth at the men's level is finally catching up to the top end talent. There looks to be way more players in SHL & KHL, along with the AHL and Finish and German leagues, whereas it used to be the NHL players and not a whole lot after that. Any reason in particular or simply an anomaly?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Blichfeld has been out the last week or so with a concussion. A shame as I thought he'd be in for a big year, hopefully he'll be back soon. This year's U20 team doesn't look as deep as last year's (understandably so) but hopefully will be deeper than the typical year, and enough to stay up another year.

On a semi related note, it seems the depth at the men's level is finally catching up to the top end talent. There looks to be way more players in SHL & KHL, along with the AHL and Finish and German leagues, whereas it used to be the NHL players and not a whole lot after that. Any reason in particular or simply an anomaly?

Well off course some have returned from NHL to play in KHL (Philip Larsen, Nicklas Jensen, Peter Regin, Oliver Lauridsen), but the amount of players in good european leagues it is just a sign that our depth gets better and better for each year.
It is good for the National Team, that borderline NHL players choose KHL instead, which makes the 4 mentioned above available (if uninjured).

Depth:
NHL (7)
Frans Nielsen
Jannik Hansen
Lars Eller
Mikkel Bødker
Frederik Andersen
Nikolaj Ehlers
Oliver Bjørkstrand

AHL (4)
Patrick Russell
Mathias Bau Hansen
Alexander True
Mikkel Aagaard

KHL (5)
Philip Larsen
Peter Regin
Nicklas Jensen
Oliver Lauridsen
Jesper "B" Jensen

SHL (8)
Jesper Jensen
Morten Madsen
Nichlas Hardt
Frederik Storm
Matias Lassen
Mathias From
Jonas Røndbjerg
David Madsen

Allsvenskan (3)
Nicolai Meyer
Malte Setkov
George Sørensen

Liiga (3)
Patrick Bjørkstrand
Stefan Lassen
Emil Kristensen

DEL (4)
Mads Christensen
Markus Lauridsen
Nicholas B. Jensen
Sebastian Dahm

EBEL (1)
Morten Poulsen

So that is pretty damn good compared to just a handful of years ago.

Hungry

May 15, 2017
Well off course some have returned from NHL to play in KHL (Philip Larsen, Nicklas Jensen, Peter Regin, Oliver Lauridsen), but the amount of players in good european leagues it is just a sign that our depth gets better and better for each year.
It is good for the National Team, that borderline NHL players choose KHL instead, which makes the 4 mentioned above available (if uninjured).

Depth:
NHL (7)
Frans Nielsen
Jannik Hansen
Lars Eller
Mikkel Bødker
Frederik Andersen
Nikolaj Ehlers
Oliver Bjørkstrand

AHL (4)
Patrick Russell
Mathias Bau Hansen
Alexander True
Mikkel Aagaard

KHL (5)
Philip Larsen
Peter Regin
Nicklas Jensen
Oliver Lauridsen
Jesper "B" Jensen

SHL (8)
Jesper Jensen
Morten Madsen
Nichlas Hardt
Frederik Storm
Matias Lassen
Mathias From
Jonas Røndbjerg
David Madsen

Allsvenskan (3)
Nicolai Meyer
Malte Setkov
George Sørensen

Liiga (3)
Patrick Bjørkstrand
Stefan Lassen
Emil Kristensen

DEL (4)
Mads Christensen
Markus Lauridsen
Nicholas B. Jensen
Sebastian Dahm

EBEL (1)
Morten Poulsen

So that is pretty damn good compared to just a handful of years ago.

The depth is very impressive. It doesn't seem to be slowing down either as there's a number of young players who are either on your list or will be ready to make that jump in a few years with some more seasoning. This is great for future World Championships (especially this year's!). How has Denmark been able to do so much with so little?

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Great list Justinov, and you can probably add Oliver Larsen (1998) to the list. He has been playing for Leksand in Alsvenskan the last 3 games.

On a side-note: Anybody knows what is happening to Oliver Gatz Nielsen? He seemingly haven't been playing this season.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The depth is very impressive. It doesn't seem to be slowing down either as there's a number of young players who are either on your list or will be ready to make that jump in a few years with some more seasoning. This is great for future World Championships (especially this year's!). How has Denmark been able to do so much with so little?

I think it began with the "Russian" seriousness of Rødovre, that changed the way danish players viewed icehockey.
Rødovre managed to get Boris Kulagin as a coach in 1977 for their local players and they managed to win the danish league in 1977/1978 for the first time.
See the roster here: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=4571&year0=1978
So Rødovre got a kind of russian hard work attitude into their club culture and what was especially important also for young players.
No excuses - you played in Rødovre, you came to sacrifice.
The Finnish guy on that 1977/78 roster - Heikki Karvinen - is the main man behind the almost miraculous Rødovre development of youth players.
As later Russian player and coach for Rødovre Valeri Bragin said to a danish player.
Problems with wife? (kept him from practice) You must get new wife!

With time the Rødovre "seriousness" started spreading:
Herning is the other Danish clubs with "miraculous" youth development and it seems now to proliferate to more and more clubs, that also starts to sprout talent.
It's almost like this in Denmark: If you choose hockey it is because you ARE serious.
From my own experience youth practice is many other sports in Denmark are often very unstructured as it has to be "fun for all".

A big factor here is the establishment of "hockey families" -> parents playing on the team got their kids into hockey from a very early age to do serious training.
On that Rødovre team:
Olaf Eller is the father of Lars & Mads Eller.
Bent Hansen is the father of Jannik Hansen.
Heikki Karvinen is the father of Jannik & Michelle Karvinen.
Kim Andersen is the father of Sebastian Dahm.

So even if our pool of players is very small, these players get excellent coaching and play very early in on an atmosphere of seriousness in more and more clubs (doesn't mean that practice can't be fun, but it's structured in the best clubs).

It also really helped that a goal-keeper Erik Nielsen from the 1977/78 roster actually became the mayor of Rødovre! Really Denmark need many more icehockey mayors if we are to get more rinks.

Another big factor was that promising Danish players, then got a chance to play in the top league in Sweden!
Heinz Ehlers arrived in Leksand in 1984/85
Swedish television even made a special about him (I remember seeing as a kid). It was very surprising for the Swedes that Denmark had produced an excellent hockey player [it was as surprising back then, as if Denmark today got in elite ski jumper].
Jens Nielsen arrived in Leksand in 1987/88
Jesper Duus arrived in Färjestad in 1987/88
These three became hockey stars even in Sweden and so mentally made in possible for young kids to dream about something bigger. As these Danish players had success it started a veritable hockey migration of young Danish players to Swedish clubs, that still goes on to this day.
Without the proximity to Sweden it is unlikely that Danish hockey would have progressed as much as it has on the elite level. It meant you could go for a professional career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Great list Justinov, and you can probably add Oliver Larsen (1998) to the list. He has been playing for Leksand in Alsvenskan the last 3 games.

On a side-note: Anybody knows what is happening to Oliver Gatz Nielsen? He seemingly haven't been playing this season.
Thanks Valdemar.

Oliver Larsen seems to go between Leksand U20 and Leksand first team, so be interesting if he can establish himself on the first team! He is not currently listed on the Leksand roster on eliteprospects.

Oliver Gatz Nielsen is longterm injured.
See: http://www.faceoff.dk/foer-kampen-roedovre-herning/

Hungry

May 15, 2017
I think it began with the "Russian" seriousness of Rødovre, that changed the way danish players viewed icehockey.
Rødovre managed to get Boris Kulagin as a coach in 1977 for their local players and they managed to win the danish league in 1977/1978 for the first time.
See the roster here: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=4571&year0=1978
So Rødovre got a kind of russian hard work attitude into their club culture and what was especially important also for young players.
No excuses - you played in Rødovre, you came to sacrifice.
The Finnish guy on that 1977/78 roster - Heikki Karvinen - is the main man behind the almost miraculous Rødovre development of youth players.
As later Russian player and coach for Rødovre Valeri Bragin said to a danish player.
Problems with wife? (kept him from practice) You must get new wife!

With time the Rødovre "seriousness" started spreading:
Herning is the other Danish clubs with "miraculous" youth development and it seems now to proliferate to more and more clubs, that also starts to sprout talent.
It's almost like this in Denmark: If you choose hockey it is because you ARE serious.
From my own experience youth practice is many other sports in Denmark are often very unstructured as it has to be "fun for all".

A big factor here is the establishment of "hockey families" -> parents playing on the team got their kids into hockey from a very early age to do serious training.
On that Rødovre team:
Olaf Eller is the father of Lars & Mads Eller.
Bent Hansen is the father of Jannik Hansen.
Heikki Karvinen is the father of Jannik & Michelle Karvinen.
Kim Andersen is the father of Sebastian Dahm.

So even if our pool of players is very small, these players get excellent coaching and play very early in on an atmosphere of seriousness in more and more clubs (doesn't mean that practice can't be fun, but it's structured in the best clubs).

It also really helped that a goal-keeper Erik Nielsen from the 1977/78 roster actually became the mayor of Rødovre! Really Denmark need many more icehockey mayors if we are to get more rinks.

Another big factor was that promising Danish players, then got a chance to play in the top league in Sweden!
Heinz Ehlers arrived in Leksand in 1984/85
Swedish television even made a special about him (I remember seeing as a kid). It was very surprising for the Swedes that Denmark had produced an excellent hockey player [it was as surprising back then, as if Denmark today got in elite ski jumper].
Jens Nielsen arrived in Leksand in 1987/88
Jesper Duus arrived in Färjestad in 1987/88
These three became hockey stars even in Sweden and so mentally made in possible for young kids to dream about something bigger. As these Danish players had success it started a veritable hockey migration of young Danish players to Swedish clubs, that still goes on to this day.
Without the proximity to Sweden it is unlikely that Danish hockey would have progressed as much as it has on the elite level. It meant you could go for a professional career.

Terrific, thorough explanation. Greatly appreciated

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
This must be the first time ever that a danish player is at the top of the points and goals top-scorer lists in the USHL after more than 10 games played. It is Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup that has been on fire this season and as of today has 15 goals and 10 assists for 25 points in 22 games played. An amasing feat, and hopefully something he can carry with him to the 2018 WJC in Buffalo, USA.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Can someone give me a scouting report on Lucas Andersen?

Not much to be honest. 2nd tier talent. Have played in Rødovre (same club as Eller, Hansen, Bødker), switched shortly to Malmö in Sweden, came back to Rødovre and signed a two year contract with Jokerit at the end of last season. Have played on various national teams and is expected to play WJC in december for Denmark. Dont know anything about strengths and weaknesses, hvis ability to skate stickhandling etc.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Here are the Danish players that are on Central Scouting’s November list for 2018 draft. They are all classified as a C prospect meaning that they are a late round candidate, but most likely they won't get drafted I'm afraid.

F Phillip Louis Schultz, Rødovre (180/70, born 24.07.2000)
F Rasmus Simonsen, Rødovre (184/76, born 19.07.2000)
D Max Vilstrup Olesen, Växjö Lakers Jr. (188/82, born 13.06.2000)

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Another Danish player that could get NHL drafted is Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup. I mentioned him a couple of weeks ago in this thread and he continues to impress in the USHL. He is still leading the USHL in both goals and points with 17 goals and 30 points in 23 games. He is also named to the 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game. Some scouts are now saying that it is not a matter of if he is getting drafted but where he is going to go. Well let's see what's going to happen, at least he will get a chance to show what he is capable of in a few weeks at the 2018 WJC.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The Danish top prospect for the 2021 NHL draft; Marcus Almquist, who is currently playing for Malmö Redhawks (SWE) U16 team, has been given 2 games this week on the U18 squad that is playing in the J18 Elit (best Swedish U18 league) and made 2 goals and an assist. It will be interesting to see if they are going to give him more games.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
The Danish top prospect for the 2021 NHL draft; Marcus Almquist, who is currently playing for Malmö Redhawks (SWE) U16 team, has been given 2 games this week on the U18 squad that is playing in the J18 Elit (best Swedish U18 league) and made 2 goals and an assist. It will be interesting to see if they are going to give him more games.

He is 14? wow... Never heard of him, thx for the info. Will follow him in the months to come.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
He is 14? wow... Never heard of him, thx for the info. Will follow him in the months to come.

I mentioned him in this forum for the first time more than 2 years ago. See post #199. From there on we have discussed him several times in the prospects thread. See also here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->