Denmark: Danish League 2013-14

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
An update to Rødovre's injury list after the SønderjydskE game:

Mathias Larsen apparently with a broken nose
Sebastian Bergholt avoided a broken collarbone, but have damaged a ligament in the shoulder and is out at least 2 weeks.
Morten Allesøe has a quite swollen hand, so injury uncertain since they can't scan it yet (?); but still with head and neck pains.

The three tackles can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD-3MpSzxts

Furthermore Marco Illemann out with studies and possible call up Thor Stokholm has to be operated his ear to avoid losing hearing after a hit.

So that only leaves Rødovre with following D-men:
Mike RÃ¥dde - Sweden age 25.
Mads Carlsen - age 19
Matias Lassen - age 17
Call up Christian Mieritz - just turned 16 some days ago.
..and that's it. Have to find some more to call up to the roster, but they would all be fairly young and so also with a high degree of injury risk when playing way over their normal level.

I would say that Rødovre in this situation only can surprise positively because their defense will be seriously out of gas in the 3'rd period. You can really put pressure on them giving the current situation.

Last edited:

PietB

Random User
Apr 29, 2011
Denmany and Germark
Danmarks Ishockey Union has suspended Jason Walters for 6 matches for his hit on Bergholt. Minimum suspension for hits to the head is 3 matches, they chose to give him 3 more for being blindside. What do you guys think?
Personally, especially considering the little amount of games played during the regular season compared to other hockey leagues, 6 games is a bit steep. Sure, it has to be more than 3, since it was ugly and reckless, but 4 or 5 would have done it for sure.

Also, I read some further into Rødovres game recap. The person who wrote it, compared the hit to an assault on a young student in early 2013. In my opinion, this is a no go. Even with emotions involved, there's no need to compare a (even though dirty) hockey play with a crime and quite vocally calling out for punishment. I understand that writers frustration with that hit and the other hits in the game, but Rødovre organisation should have a talk with him.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
An update to Rødovre's injury list after the SønderjydskE game:

Mathias Larsen apparently with a broken nose
Sebastian Bergholt avoided a broken collarbone, but have damaged a ligament in the shoulder and is out at least 2 weeks.
Morten Allesøe has a quite swollen hand, so injury uncertain since they can't scan it yet (?); but still with head and neck pains.

The three tackles can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD-3MpSzxts

Furthermore Marco Illemann out with studies and possible call up Thor Stockfisch has to be operated his ear to avoid losing hearing after a hit.

So that only leaves Rødovre with following D-men:
Mike RÃ¥dde - Sweden age 25.
Mads Carlsen - age 19
Matias Lassen - age 17
Call up Christian Mieritz - just turned 16 some days ago.
..and that's it. Have to find some more to call up to the roster, but they would all be fairly young and so also with a high degree of injury risk when playing way over their normal level.

I would say that Rødovre in this situation only can surprise positively because their defense will be seriously out of gas in the 3'rd period. You can really put pressure on them giving the current situation.

Well Patrick Rasmussen has played D in both junior and pro level he'll be on there I guess. Mathias Lassen is gonna need surgery so don't know if that'll keep him out for a bit. They're properly trying to talk to Emil Bigler who's in Gladsaxe(I think) to get him back. Perhaps even Jannik Svane and Brugisser in Amager to. Some 1-2 month deal that their club could agree to.

Add to that they have a Div 1-team with guys in the 17-18 age. They'll cope like Rodovre always do... Or pull Jesper Duus out of retirement :)¨

Regarding the hits. Spellings hit seems clumsy and more like an accident. Lunds seems to be with the intent to hurt. Walters is reckless but Bergholdt is skating with his head down and leaned forward. They guy jumping on Ulrich Linnet in the following scrum does seem to need some cool aid. It's not like it's big bad Canadians pounding Walters :laugh:

I'm wondering why SønderjyskE feels the need to rough if it up in a game they had complete control in against a clearly inferior team of mostly teenagers. Mostly thinking about Mads Lund and the jumping guy. Not they've are out on the deep end or anything just seems strange.

Last edited:

PietB

Random User
Apr 29, 2011
Denmany and Germark
Well Patrick Rasmussen has played D in both junior and pro level he'll be on there I guess. Mathias Lassen is gonna need surgery so don't know if that'll keep him out for a bit. They're properly trying to talk to Emil Bigler who's in Gladsaxe(I think) to get him back. Perhaps even Jannik Svane and Brugisser in Amager to. Some 1-2 month deal that their club could agree to.

Add to that they have a Div 1-team with guys in the 17-18 age. They'll cope like Rodovre always do... Or pull Jesper Duus out of retirement :)¨

Regarding the hits. Spellings hit seems clumsy and more like an accident. Lunds seems to be with the intent to hurt. Walters is reckless but Bergholdt is skating with his head down and leaned forward. They guy jumping on Ulrich Linnet in the following scrum does seem to need some cool aid. It's not like it's big bad Canadians pounding Walters :laugh:

I'm wondering why SønderjyskE feels the need to rough if it up in a game they had complete control in against a clearly inferior team of mostly teenagers. Mostly thinking about Mads Lund and the jumping guy. Not they've are out on the deep end or anything just seems strange.

I must say, I don't get why people get so worked up about Overmark coming to help Walters. Sure, he came a bit fast, but honestly, I'd do the same, maybe a bit more carefully than that, if someone went 2-on-1 on one of my teammates, even in less aggressive floorball.

Good you point out Bergholdt was skating head down.. Now I take a closer look at the video, it seems like Walters came a bit more from the side than I originally thought. He might have seen Walters coming if he had kept his head up. Checks to the head still remain a no-go, though.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I must say, I don't get why people get so worked up about Overmark coming to help Walters. Sure, he came a bit fast, but honestly, I'd do the same, maybe a bit more carefully than that, if someone went 2-on-1 on one of my teammates, even in less aggressive floorball.

Good you point out Bergholdt was skating head down.. Now I take a closer look at the video, it seems like Walters came a bit more from the side than I originally thought. He might have seen Walters coming if he had kept his head up. Checks to the head still remain a no-go, though.

Well I'm completely on page with him coming to Walters aid, it's the "form" that sticks out to me. He jumps off the ice to "attack"(In lack of better words) Ulrich Linnet -Aren't they old teammates? - making it seem much more crazy that what I think was intended. Sure there's a scrum going on but usually you'd just puff Linnet away and let Walters and the other dance around a bit. Not a big thing just strikes me as remarkable :)

Agree that Walters is a bit reckless even though Bergholdt does himself no good skating head down. Gotta teach players at early ages to keep their head up. The other thing is dangerous as hell. Which is why Lunds hit is to me the most concerning. But I'm biased and not completely in to the rule book. So I'm mostly going off player-to-player-security.

And @loser yes typo/reading mistake from me. Larsen and not Lassen of course. My bad :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well Patrick Rasmussen has played D in both junior and pro level he'll be on there I guess. Mathias Larsen is gonna need surgery so don't know if that'll keep him out for a bit. They're properly trying to talk to Emil Bigler who's in Gladsaxe(I think) to get him back. Perhaps even Jannik Svane and Brugisser in Amager to. Some 1-2 month deal that their club could agree to.

So even with the inclusion of Patrick Rasmussen and Christian Mieritz they are still only 5 d-men.
I would say that Jesper Duus would be a good option playingwise, though he probably would say no...
Luckily for Rødovre they are surrounded by a lot of Copenhagen amateur teams so you are right that players from Amager, KSF, Gentofte, Gladsaxe or Hvidovre could be a possibility for short term contracts....

All of Rødovre IK's d-men are between 16-19 so if they want a bit more experience it's the way to go. I also think that Emil Bigler sounds like a good option since he has danish league experience from Rødovre before.

But has anyone seen anything like this in the danish league before....?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I still think that there is no need to play that rough (it's not the NHL) and the danish league has a lot of semi-professionels and youngsters. So if we want the danish league as a good development league it's not a good long-term plan to seriously injure teenagers. That would not exactly endear the game among hockey parents.
So you need to have harsher punishment for players being reckless, than in high-paid full professional leagues. That's my opinion.
Saying that a young players are themselves at fault because they skated with the head down is correct BUT I think the level of play must be brought into context regarding that answer. Even Lars Eller did that in NHL and got really injured so what chance has teenage youngsters?!

You are quite right that it doesn't make sense why SønderjydskE players felt they had to rough Rødovre up. They were a superior team and it's just the beginning of the season.
Mads Lund's tackle from behind against the board with both men at speed on Morten Allesøe was potentially very dangerous (that is where you can break your neck).

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So even with the inclusion of Patrick Rasmussen and Christian Mieritz they are still only 5 d-men.
I would say that Jesper Duus would be a good option playingwise, though he probably would say no...
Luckily for Rødovre they are surrounded by a lot of Copenhagen amateur teams so you are right that players from Amager, KSF, Gentofte, Gladsaxe or Hvidovre could be a possibility for short term contracts....

All of Rødovre IK's d-men are between 16-19 so if they want a bit more experience it's the way to go. I also think that Emil Bigler sounds like a good option since he has danish league experience from Rødovre before.

But has anyone seen anything like this in the danish league before....?

Luckily Rodovre produces a quantity of talent, that every club in 10 km range has a couple of usable Rodovre-boys in store? ;) I'd bank on Svane and Bigler before Duus.

Sounds like they'll go with the Div 1-guys for the next game.

Other scenarios include the young guys in 1. Div being cable of handling small minutes/other versatile players going D for a few games - Daugulis went ass. coach when he was out a couple of years back. Could possibly play D for 3-4 games. I think Astrup has played some D at rollerskating hockey - and finally what will properly happen anyway, they'll just roll with 2/2,5 pair. It's been done before. Back in the glory days they'd go Eastman-Johnson, Bornhammar-Damgaard, Lutz-whoever, to ease in Grønvaldt/when Skygge went down. Next year the plan was somewhat the same for Jesper Jensen but he handle the minutes so well he became part of full rotation. Other candidates could be Tobias Ruelykke and Tobias Hansen(Who like Svane and Brugisser both have been in the league before) :)

A lot of opportunities if they want to creative but I think the best thing is to see what you got in the 1. Div and take it from there :)

Btw Lund got 3 days.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I still think that there is no need to play that rough (it's not the NHL) and the danish league has a lot of semi-professionels and youngsters. So if we want the danish league as a good development league it's not a good long-term plan to seriously injure teenagers. That would not exactly endear the game among hockey parents.
So you need to have harsher punishment for players being reckless, than in high-paid full professional leagues. That's my opinion.
Saying that a young players are themselves at fault because they skated with the head down is correct BUT I think the level of play must be brought into context regarding that answer. Even Lars Eller did that in NHL and got really injured so what chance has teenage youngsters?!

You are quite right that it doesn't make sense why SønderjydskE players felt they had to rough Rødovre up. They were a superior team and it's just the beginning of the season.
Mads Lund's tackle from behind against the board with both men at speed on Morten Allesøe was potentially very dangerous (that is where you can break your neck).

The problem is perhaps the difference between players like Walters(Who are full time pros in foreign country) and young guys like Bergholt and younger guys(Who are just offered peanuts to play with the big guys). One is there to make a living taking on the risks that include while the other basically is there to have fun.

I'm not a rule book expert so I don't know the possibilities for punishment but if you wanna do the young players a favor you learn them to skate with their head up and hit hard on hits like Mads Lund(Who I also think played with Allesøe at one point in SønderjyskE - you'd think things were more easy going when these guys know each other so well).

That said no doubt Walters was a bit reckless. But the entire element of hits is not sustainable if guys skates around with their heads and necks in vulnerable positions. I read the punishments given as a signal. They're cracking down on hits to the head while the other - while more dangerous, with more intend to hurt and with less reckless play from D-man - is given the "normal" penalty.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Luckily Rodovre produces a quantity of talent, that every club in 10 km range has a couple of usable Rodovre-boys in store? ;) I'd bank on Svane and Bigler before Duus.

Sounds like they'll go with the Div 1-guys for the next game.

Other scenarios include the young guys in 1. Div being cable of handling small minutes/other versatile players going D for a few games - Daugulis went ass. coach when he was out a couple of years back. Could possibly play D for 3-4 games. I think Astrup has played some D at rollerskating hockey - and finally what will properly happen anyway, they'll just roll with 2/2,5 pair. It's been done before. Back in the glory days they'd go Eastman-Johnson, Bornhammar-Damgaard, Lutz-whoever, to ease in Grønvaldt/when Skygge went down. Next year the plan was somewhat the same for Jesper Jensen but he handle the minutes so well he became part of full rotation. Other candidates could be Tobias Ruelykke and Tobias Hansen(Who like Svane and Brugisser both have been in the league before) :)

A lot of opportunities if they want to creative but I think the best thing is to see what you got in the 1. Div and take it from there :)

Btw Lund got 3 days.

True - > the Rødovre talent factory provides a lot of players all around them in Copenhagen :laugh:
Good idea that they could take some forwards and move them down in defense as you say.
Patrick Rasmussen you mentioned already and Michael Daugulis both have the needed size to keep Rødovre's defense more "heavy".

But then without both Karvinen and Daugulis the offense will be severely depleted, but then it seems this season it's the matches against Rungsted and Herlev that matters and then survive the others until the injured comes back (hopefully) in time for playoffs.

Rungsted-Herlev tonight. Also important match for Rødovre for the internal Copenhagen Championship and avoiding 9'th place in the league.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I must be seen - if it was Overmark that jumped into the Rødovre player (Ulrich Linnet) - as an overreaction and potentially dangerous. You can push, as the others players are doing.
The point is what made the SønderJydske players so aggressive that game...it's not them laying injured all over the ice?!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
True - > the Rødovre talent factory provides a lot of players all around them in Copenhagen :laugh:
Good idea that they could take some forwards and move them down in defense as you say.
Patrick Rasmussen you mentioned already and Michael Daugulis both have the needed size to keep Rødovre's defense more "heavy".

But then without both Karvinen and Daugulis the offense will be severely depleted, but then it seems this season it's the matches against Rungsted and Herlev that matters and then survive the others until the injured comes back (hopefully) in time for playoffs.

Rungsted-Herlev tonight. Also important match for Rødovre for the internal Copenhagen Championship and avoiding 9'th place in the league.

:laugh: Don't think that'll be a big issue. Perhaps in front of the net on the PP but not otherwise. He's a prototypical grinder unless he's changed a lot the last 1,5 year :D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
:laugh: Don't think that'll be a big issue. Perhaps in front of the net on the PP but not otherwise. He's a prototypical grinder unless he's changed a lot the last 1,5 year :D

Well Daugalis is still 3-4th in point production and second best forward this season, and he gives the offense some bulk!
But you are right that Karvinen is the BIG goal scorer (and partly Michael Smith). Especially with Contois and Chistiyakov gone.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Well Daugalis is still 3-4th in point production and second best forward this season, and he gives the offense some bulk!
But you are right that Karvinen is the BIG goal scorer (and partly Michael Smith). Especially with Contois and Chistiyakov gone.

Yeah get where you're coming from but A) The guy had like 5 goals last year. Good start and all aside he's not gonna pop out and give you 20 goals B) I think it was the idea that Martin Nielsen and Vaagensøe was going to be the main replacements for Contois and "Mini Tolle". But that everybody had to pull some extra weight. Michael Christensen, Smidt, Astrup, Schultz etc. etc. So far this year it's come from Mathias Lassen and Emil Ramussen mainly. That's not sustainable. So the other guys have to step up anyway.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah get where you're coming from but A) The guy had like 5 goals last year. Good start and all aside he's not gonna pop out and give you 20 goals B) I think it was the idea that Martin Nielsen and Vaagensøe was going to be the main replacements for Contois and "Mini Tolle". But that everybody had to pull some extra weight. Michael Christensen, Smidt, Astrup, Schultz etc. etc. So far this year it's come from Mathias Lassen and Emil Ramussen mainly. That's not sustainable. So the other guys have to step up anyway.

So you sound you are still positive (?) with regard to Rødovre's chances this year.
As it stand currently I would regard the team as being 6-7'th with Herlev in the league. With no injuries they are better than Herlev, but how would you rank them?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I'm away from Copenhagen these years so I'm just going by hear say and the few games I get to see. But never were to positive :laugh:

Ended up with following for tonight: Mathias Larsen(wow), Mads Carlsen, Chr. Mieritz, Mike RÃ¥dde, Anders Schultz, Marco Illemann, Mathias Lassen and Patrick Rasmussen on D. Don't know how it looked irl but they let in 5 goals.

Last edited:

ficohok*

Croatian NT forward, Dominik Kanaet (Herlev), scored his first two goals in Danish league in today's game. Both were on PP.

ficohok*

Was at the game:)

Very good game by Kanaet.. Impressive young player, very fast and energetic :)

Nice to hear that :) Hopefully his adjustment period is over and he will start produce points on more regular basis, but I know it won't be easy as Herlev is weak team judging from results so far.

p.s. is it possible to see highligts of that game ?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nice to hear that :) Hopefully his adjustment period is over and he will start produce points on more regular basis, but I know it won't be easy as Herlev is weak team judging from results so far.

p.s. is it possible to see highligts of that game ?

Yeah, Herlev lost a lot of their star players in Dresler, and Staal among others, and have been struggling with a lot of Injuries.

But they are one of the better, bottom teams.. For some reason, there are not a lot of highlights or TV games this year... Really sad :(

But there are always highlights from the better teams in Jutland.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah, Herlev lost a lot of their star players in Dresler, and Staal among others, and have been struggling with a lot of Injuries.

But they are one of the better, bottom teams.. For some reason, there are not a lot of highlights or TV games this year... Really sad :(

But there are always highlights from the better teams in Jutland.

Yeah Herlev are still certainly better than Rungsted, and on par with Rødovre, but after Esbjerg. Hockey in Copenhagen has been truly sidelined by the Jutland Teams (with Odense on Fyn as well).

Rødovre's bronze medal last year looks like to be a lone medal for years to come for a capital team? Rødovre needs to keep talents longer to bounce back, but they often change to Sweden or NA younger and younger these days.

Herlev has the golden age in the early 80's.
Silver & Gold in 1982-83 & 1983-84.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah Herlev are still certainly better than Rungsted, and on par with Rødovre, but after Esbjerg. Hockey in Copenhagen has been truly sidelined by the Jutland Teams (with Odense on Fyn as well).

Rødovre's bronze medal last year looks like to be a lone medal for years to come for a capital team? Rødovre needs to keep talents longer to bounce back, but they often change to Sweden or NA younger and younger these days.

Herlev has the golden age in the early 80's.
Silver & Gold in 1982-83 & 1983-84.

My mothers brother, or simply, my uncle! Always talks about the golden ages and Frank Barth and Dana Barbin :D

But yeah, it is really sad to see that the teams on this side are struggling so! Rødovre are victims of their own developmental succes.

Kind'of the Ajax of Icehockey :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Copenhagen hockey clubs and Danish Champions......an ancient thing!?

Rungsted: 1955+1963+2002 (last win from "the east").
KSF: 1956+1960+1961+1962+1964+1965+1966+1970+1972+1976
Gladsaxe: 1967+1968+1971+1974+1975
Rødovre: 1978+1983+1985+1986+1990+1999
Herlev: 1984 (Barbin & Barth Canadian duo with combined 200 points).
Hvidovre: None - best 4'th 1996 (Leonids Tambijevs player of they year 1996).
Gentofte: None - best 4'th 1997 (Kristian Just Petersen Danish player of the Year 1998)
Amager: Never in the 1'st division.

So today we have only 3 professional Copenhagen teams and they look to become the 3 last in the league so far.
Rødovre has managed silver in 2001 and bronze medals in 2009 & 2013 as the only current east team with a medal chance.

Especially sad history when you see the past of KSF and Gladsaxe, that they can't even go pro these days.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad