Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2013-14

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I think there has been a free stream on NHL.com in the past, so there might be too this year. It's the feed from NHL network, whose coverage isn't as good as TSN, but it is better than nothing. TSN usually have a stream on their website, but I think it is geo-restricted. Otherwise you can try and find a stream on sites that usually streams sports.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So if the choice is from #6 to #9 who do you want Nikolaj Ehlers to get drafted by?

I'd rank it Winnipeg, Carolina/Vancouver, Toronto.

Remi

Mar 2, 2012
Denmark
Was hoping that Viaplay had the draft on one of their channels, but it does not seem so. Does anyone have any clue on how to watch it when in Denmark? Is it live on NHL.com or something?

Usually streams up on NHL homepage. Otherwise go google and search wizwig hockey streams (and check wizwig forums for more).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Woooooo. Ehlers is a jet. I have a good feeling about that and the jet board seems excited too.

As a Jet fan, I'm extremely happy with this pick. Ehlers was one of the players I was hoping would be on the board when the Jets selected. Great combination of incredible speed, slick hands, vision, and character. Seems like a really solid kid in interviews as well.

Looking forward to seeing him in the Jets upcoming Prospect camp, and hope he gets a few games in pre-season come September.

Did I mention that I'm very happy with this selection? :nod: :D

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
As a Jet fan, I'm extremely happy with this pick. Ehlers was one of the players I was hoping would be on the board when the Jets selected. Great combination of incredible speed, slick hands, vision, and character. Seems like a really solid kid in interviews as well.

Looking forward to seeing him in the Jets upcoming Prospect camp, and hope he gets a few games in pre-season come September.

Did I mention that I'm very happy with this selection? :nod: :D

Great to hear... we are pretty excited which is witnessed by our 3 1/2 year old thread about him. The Danish guys are usually pretty down to earth and hardworking coming from such a small country. But ehlers is really international having lived in four countries already. He will need at least one more year in the Q. But there aren't many places better than Halifax to develop so it's all good.
Going to be watching a lot of your games when he comes up

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Great to hear... we are pretty excited which is witnessed by our 3 1/2 year old thread about him. The Danish guys are usually pretty down to earth and hardworking coming from such a small country. But ehlers is really international having lived in four countries already. He will need at least one more year in the Q. But there aren't many places better than Halifax to develop so it's all good.
Going to be watching a lot of your games when he comes up

With Drouin potentially moving on to the NHL next year, it'll be great for Ehlers to be the real 'go to' guy in Halifax. Should do wonders for him. Agree that he probably needs another year in the Q - he's got the skating and skills, but it would be nice for him to add a bit more weight to his frame.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have to admit I Will probably try to sneak in a few more jets games as of now aswell:)

Harpy Ehlers ended up in Winnipeg, seems like a great City and a great fit:) really love what you guys have done in the last couple of drafts:)

member 498sixnine

Regin gets another season at Chicago. 1 y 650K. Good for him :)

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Yeah great Danish Free Agency Day with Danish eyes...

Anaheim: Jonas Hiller out. Freddy and Gibson has in a year driven not one but two experienced goalies out. And they're stocking up behind him in the depth chart with LaBarbera.

Chicago: Peter Regin got a resign - which is always a good signal because it's a stamp of approval. They also got Brad Richards to add with the arrival of Teräväinen. Dennis Rasmussen is also there instead of Handzus. Competition's stepped up. They're over the cap though and with Kane + Toews extensions coming someone might have to go.

Colorado: For now the Avalanche looks like a = at the numbers of D-men. Out goes Hunwick, Sarich and Benoit. In comes Stuart, Gervais and Redmond. So Lauridsens at status quo.

Montreal: Ellers' RFA coming up. The Schenn contract could set the targeted range. Montreal did nothing on the forward/center position that should threat Eller. Gionta and Vanek left with Sekac as replacement. Then a bunch of depth moves.

Islanders have addressed the issues in net by Halak and today Chad Johnson + added a joker in Conacher. Other wise nothing new for Franzie. Small plus.

Arizona: Have gotten Gagner and Vitale for Vrbata, Ribiero, Miele, Moss and other depth players. Not sure that's great for Bødker.

Philly: Oliver Lauridsen steps into his one way-year of his contract. It think he'll be waived and pass but Philly did shed some of his competition. Bye Hal Gill, Bruno Gervais, Marc-André Bourdon. Not counting Pronger... He's 8th in line as far as I can count.

Canucks: Also here it looks like the broom cleared some of the depth/lower lines forwards. From your Booths and Santorellis to your Schroeders and Dalpes. Added nothing up front as I'm writing. So looks like they're at 10 forwards signed. 2 RFA(Kassian and newly acquired Vey). And then Nicklas Jensen, Kennins and their college FA from last year Zalewski. Nothing in the way of having two Danes on opening night

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Thank you for the write-up Bank, good work.

It is an interesting read, and you are right; the last week has generally been positive from a Danish perspective. Now it is up to the players themselves to prove that they belong on the NHL roster come September.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Well the Islanders situation changed quickly. Mikhail Grabovski posses a new threat to Frans Nielsens status as a #2C. But the addition of him and Kulemin could indicate that Snow and Wong means some sort of business this year.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well the Islanders situation changed quickly. Mikhail Grabovski posses a new threat to Frans Nielsens status as a #2C. But the addition of him and Kulemin could indicate that Snow and Wong means some sort of business this year.

Yeah Grabovski is in all likelihood bought to play 2C, so Frans Nielsen can be moved to 3C.
But surely Islanders is really buffing up their team for this season.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

I'm still quite surprised he didn't get picked up in the 7'th round of the draft (especially for Montreal where he could be a promising feisty 4C in a few years).
His playoff + Memorial Cup for Edmonton Oil Kings warranted that in my opinion.

Will be interested if he can get a contract after this camp.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I'm still quite surprised he didn't get picked up in the 7'th round of the draft (especially for Montreal where he could be a promising feisty 4C in a few years).
His playoff + Memorial Cup for Edmonton Oil Kings warranted that in my opinion.

Will be interested if he can get a contract after this camp.

By the looks of those boards and Twitter alot of People are suprised about that. I know People in Montreal also wanted to invite him. Too late :laugh:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Yeah though he is probably envisioned as a depth player on the roster, so he probably wont play much unless injuries strikes Chicago.

He must have signed the deal with the hope of at least fighting for the 3C position with the likes of Krüger. And then 20 minutes after he signs, CHI signs Brad Richards... I wonder if he was told the truth about the team's plans for him when he signed. If not, he got screwed to some extent.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
He must have signed the deal with the hope of at least fighting for the 3C position with the likes of Krüger. And then 20 minutes after he signs, CHI signs Brad Richards... I wonder if he was told the truth about the team's plans for him when he signed. If not, he got screwed to some extent.

Not a good time to get picky to be honest. I think it was either this deal or back to Europe. Dont think he would get 3 mio. DKK anywhere in Europe either.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Not a good time to get picky to be honest. I think it was either this deal or back to Europe. Dont think he would get 3 mio. DKK anywhere in Europe either.

I think he could have gotten a similar deal in the KHL, probably less in the SEL. But, ice time should be at least as important. In Chicago, he most likely will be a spare part. He could end up in the press box way more than on the ice. He is certainly no 4th liner, so it's either 3C or being a healthy scratch.

I like the fact that he gives it another year in the NHL, but there's a very real possibility it could end up being a wasted year with very little ice time.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Lars Eller becomes the highest paid Dane in a couple of seasons with his new contract for Montreal. AVV 3,5 mil for 4 years. Good contract for him. Congrats to Lars!

Remi

Mar 2, 2012
Denmark
Very happy for Eller, especially as a Habs fan, and looks like Bergevin is trusting on Ellers development.

I just hope he gets some more offensive line-mates, not like Moen, Prust, Bourque (season) etc.

He is amazing defensively and had a ton of time on PK last season and playoffs. But we could see in the playoffs, that when his teammates actually stepped up and played (Bourque), he played better too. Alot of the Habs fans rely on Lars to do everything himself, but when you are stucked on the 3rd line with limited offensive zone time and PP time it is hard.

Also if Frans Nielsen keeps playing like he does, I'm pretty sure he will be highest paid dane in 2-3 years. Maybe Andersen can be up there too, if he plays well next two seasons with alot of games.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
If I'm not mistaken Eller's 4,25 season starts the year Frans Nielsen starts his next contract. That will be UFA years against UFA years. That'll be a good argument :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad