Player Discussion Dan Girardi Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The odds of Beukeboom becoming an NHL head coach any time in the near future aren't much better than mine--which is to say extremely remote. Beukeboom is yet to have his first head coaching job--he's been an assistant everywhere. He's not going to get a head coaching job in the NHL and especially not with the Rangers with no head coaching experience. Which was the motivation by the way for Ulf leaving to coach the Hurricanes AHL team.

If the Rangers fire AV you can rest assured that they will hire either a former NHL coach or someone who has had success in the AHL or maybe even college like Dave Hakstol.

To add to this, we haven't even seen if Beukeboom can be an adequate assistant coach at the NHL level. I get it that a lot of people have gripes with how AV handles things, and I'm one of those people, but he still is one of the better coaches around the league.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I like Girardi. Maybe not so much now but he's been a very good player us in the past. His contract definitely isn't great for what he brings. He should not have played as much as he did last year. He wasn't over the injuries from the previous year's playoffs and was banged up throughout the year and when he cracked his kneecap it was reasonable to think that AV and his coaching staff or the GM or even the medical staff---someone would have stepped up and said---'You know what, give the guy a ****ing rest--let him recuperate.

It didn't happen. I don't know why. If I were still working and I had a cracked kneecap, believe me, I would have been taking some time off and my job never required me to block shots or take and deliver body checks like Dan's does. To me it was absurd, and especially when you have a young guy like McIlrath (who played pretty decently when he got the chance) sitting in the stands who really should have been playing more anyway. Honestly I thought Boyle was pretty much a waste on the right side too--it wasn't just Girardi and his gimpy knees.

If I was really going to **** on a decision from last year though it would have been letting Hagelin go. And that's pretty much on Gorton/Sather. Hopefully Gropp becomes a player but I have some doubts there. As for Etem---****ing horrible.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Hagelin was a cap casualty, nice player that fits well in Pittsburgh, but do you really want to be paying him 4+ million a year?

Guys like him come along often in drafts. Maybe not as fast as he is, but those types of players are dime a dozen. I like him, but at the end of the day, he's not worth that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hagelin was a cap casualty, nice player that fits well in Pittsburgh, but do you really want to be paying him 4+ million a year?

Guys like him come along often in drafts. Maybe not as fast as he is, but those types of players are dime a dozen. I like him, but at the end of the day, he's not worth that.

I really don't look at Hagelin though as a dime a dozen player. He is one of the best forechecking and one of the best back checking and one of the best penalty killers and just about the best forward in the league when a team needs to protect a one goal lead in the last couple minutes of a game. He's not the most productive but he's good enough to keep other teams honest. He was the best skater on the Rangers and he had the best engine and IMO he is worth $4 mil a year.

The Rangers pk fell apart last year. Some people want to lay all the blame on the D. But our forward penalty killers did not do a good job either. They collapsed on the D a lot. They did not pressure the points nearly well enough.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hartnett: Girardi Is A Whipping Boy With Fans, But Rangers Know His Value
True Measure Of Veteran Defenseman's Worth Doesn't Come With Advanced Stats, But With The Eye Test

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/24/new-york-rangers-dan-girardi-nhl-standings/

this is exactly the problem with Girardi. The reason his advanced stats suck is because he sucks. If anyone wants to pin the success of the rangers on Girardi's back, and therefore ignore McDonagh's monstrous play in those years, they are sorely mistaken. The league knows Girardi has minimal value, and in today's world of NHL contracts, Girardi is worth a league minimum contract. That's the reason Dan will never get out from under that microscope.

Dan is approaching his last year in the organization, hands down, and I think he knows that--he's playing for either another contract, or a future with another team... It's in his best interests to play as best as possible this year, which opens him up for trade candidates, and avoids a buyout--that accomplishes 2 things:

a) He can still work for the Rangers organization
b) he will not lose the 1/3 salary owed to him due to a buyout

and as a bonus, the rangers get a lower cap hit assuming they move him at 50% retained, they get a mere $2.75M dead cap weight instead of the $3.6M cap hit in the years of contention

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
complete and utter stupidity. and i definitely incorporate the eye test into how i judge a player. Dan Girardi the last few years has been beyond putrid using the eye test. hes been better this year...but most of that is because he hasnt played a lot of minutes.

you put DG in 3rd pairing matchups for 12-14 mins a night...most people wont have much of a problem with him other than his salary.

play him regularly against alexander ovechkin now and watch the goal totals rise up...in fact, considering the fact that AO consistently roasts the rangers for goals, assists and points...and the fact that AV always used to put DG against AO...its nothing new to us as a team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like some of these journalists are journalists because they got Ds in math. So they just close their eyes and ears and pretend that math doesn't mean anything. No offense to any journalists at HF.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW Henrik in his post game clip last night spoke glowingly of Girardi in the exact same words that the journalist used in his article. So it's not just journalists, the GM and the coach, Micheletti, Rosen and Maloney---his teammates, all of them seem to be just as 'clueless' as the journalist. What gives with that? All these hockey people and none of them know ****.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hartnett: Girardi Is A Whipping Boy With Fans, But Rangers Know His Value
True Measure Of Veteran Defenseman's Worth Doesn't Come With Advanced Stats, But With The Eye Test

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/24/new-york-rangers-dan-girardi-nhl-standings/

This article is everything I hate about "eye-test." Grey areas, bigger pictures, and intricate details that stats can't account for. What a ****ing fairy tale.

Stats account for possession, shots, chances, and production. What the **** else is there? What grey area is being left?

Sure, stats come with context which the eye test provides, but the idea that there's these mysterious Area 51 aspects of the game into which stats dare not tread is lunacy.

I try not to be too hard on Hartnett because he's smart when he wants to be and he's a Liverpool fan, but then he writes **** like this.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
FWIW Henrik in his post game clip last night spoke glowingly of Girardi in the exact same words that the journalist used in his article. So it's not just journalists, the GM and the coach, Micheletti, Rosen and Maloney---his teammates, all of them seem to be just as 'clueless' as the journalist. What gives with that? All these hockey people and none of them know ****.

The same people that speak highly of Tanner Glass...got it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Because Henrik is probably friends with Girardi. He knows that guy for a decade. You think he'll say something bad about him? It's AV's job to be above that.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Because Henrik is probably friends with Girardi. He knows that guy for a decade. You think he'll say something bad about him? It's AV's job to be above that.

Yep. These guys are not going to dis each other. It would be unprofessional and ruin the locker room if players started ripping each other in the media. On top of that, Hank is probably comfortable by now with the way G plays. There is a degree of predictability there.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just like how every player plays in front of the world's best fans in the world's best arena.

I mean, they've all played in every NHL city, obviously they all know.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Girardi has been on a steady decline for years. It may have been accelerated by injuries last year, but it's a little crazy to expect some huge rebound even if he's healthy.

He's 32, played a physical style, and logged ridiculous minutes under Torts.

He deserves respect, he doesn't deserve his 1st pairing spot back.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009

When was the last time Micheletti, Rosen and Maloney said a negative thing about any Rangers player ever?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The same people that speak highly of Tanner Glass...got it.

It is true they are teammates but maybe you should look at the clip again. I mean sure Henrik is not going to run down a teammate but he doesn't have to be smiling and happy happy when talking about a teammate either and especially if he really thinks the guy is a big problem for him. He could do serious question deserves a serious answer---none of the giddy bull **** that you see in that postgame clip.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It is true they are teammates but maybe you should look at the clip again. I mean sure Henrik is not going to run down a teammate but he doesn't have to be smiling and happy happy when talking about a teammate either and especially if he really thinks the guy is a big problem for him. He could do serious question deserves a serious answer---none of the giddy bull **** that you see in that postgame clip.

My point is that you're using Maloney, Micheletti and Rosen as people to vouch for Girardi, when these are the same people who will extol the virtues of Glass. That discredits them to a degree IMO.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My point is that you're using Maloney, Micheletti and Rosen as people to vouch for Girardi, when these are the same people who will extol the virtues of Glass. That discredits them to a degree IMO.

Is that to a large degree, a small degree or a medium degree? Basically you're saying you agree with what you agree with any of those individuals on but you don't believe everything they say. I think we're all in that club---to a degree.:)

I've never really been much for agreeing wholeheartedly with anyone and that includes posters here. When I see all this agreement here on Girardi and a whole another kind of agreement amongst the hockey people there on Girardi--you guys are all right? and they're all wrong? and there's no such thing as a somewhere in between the extremes? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad