GDT: Dallas @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, Jan 16

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I know his teams play with structure, but this is why I would have a hard time watching either Hitch or Tippett coach my team. They are where the joy of watching hockey goes to die.
Better than blashills system it’s the same system junior c teams run in the league I coach it’s a complete joke

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't have a good feeling about this one. Dallas has looked good lately; well coached team playing with some serious fire and passion right now. Radulov is a nut-case but he seems to have revved up some of those stone-faced Canadian boys. I believe that Mrazek's game against Chicago is the beginning in a gradual shift toward his reclaiming some of his luster with the organization. We all know how Jimmy performs post-injury, and while he wasn't on the shelf long, there is some history that makes me wonder if he'll play out the year as strongly as he started it.

5-2 Stars

i was really pulling for an empty netter at the end there so you would be right

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Jeez that was a rough game to watch. 3 days off now, let's see if they play like slugs on Saturday.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know Benn is a big guy, but Larkin needs to stick up for himself. If he wants to pull that garbage with 15 seconds left you slash him where he doesn't have padding.

Better than blashills system it’s the same system junior c teams run in the league I coach it’s a complete joke

Blashill and Cooper run the same system, they both readily admit it is how they choose to play hockey. We just don't have the talent to execute it and are often stuck with what you're looking at.

What you think the difference between Pete Deboer in Florida versus cup runs in New Jersey and San Jose is the system?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Looks like the refs have swallowed their whistles to let the players decide the game. Too bad they didnt do that when the stars scored on 2 power plays.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I know Benn is a big guy, but Larkin needs to stick up for himself. If he wants to pull that garbage with 15 seconds left you slash him where he doesn't have padding.

Blashill and Cooper run the same system, they both readily admit it is how they choose to play hockey. We just don't have the talent to execute it.

I don’t see how they play the same system, Tampa plays with puck possession and make passes we throw a puck 100 feet and hope it bounces right, we literally just rim the puck around the boards instead of possessing it, I know we have bad d but I think guys like green, Kronwall, Daley can all possess the puck but the system has them just flipping it and throwing it away. I know we have some fast forwards but I think we’d be better suited making 10 foot passes not 100. Come at teams with speed and support not hope for a break

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Looks like the refs have swallowed their whistles to let the players decide the game. Too bad they didnt do that when the stars scored on 2 power plays.

The Stars blew their doors off tonight. This wasn't as upsetting to me as the Tampa loss not long ago. I think their was a bigger argument there. The difference there is our effort, there were some bad calls, but the Wings effort was absolute crap. The Wings didn't look interested in playing and got kicked around as a result. If you don't engage in this league you deserve the loss. As coaches like to say there were a lot of passengers out there tonight.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t see how they play the same system, Tampa plays with puck possession and make passes we throw a puck 100 feet and hope it bounces right, we literally just rim the puck around the boards instead of possessing it, I know we have bad d but I think guys like green, Kronwall, Daley can all possess the puck but the system has them just flipping it and throwing it away. I know we have some fast forwards but I think we’d be better suited making 10 foot passes not 100. Come at teams with speed and support not hope for a break

Well both guys admit it openly. The difference is who is executing the system. You have seen Tampa enough to realize they are constantly flying the zone with Johnson and Kucherov. They just execute the pass. They break the forecheck our pathetic D cannot. When you're asking for support a part of the problem all night is our forwards have to come so low to get the puck because our D cannot make simple passes and plays. So teams continue to be emboldened in their forecheck and the issues compound.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We have gone to ludicrous.
We have indeed.

C7398A234DC5588F0799EB4A0FC850C676176914

Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Reactions: theYman

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I know his teams play with structure, but this is why I would have a hard time watching either Hitch or Tippett coach my team. They are where the joy of watching hockey goes to die.

The NHL, more than any other pro sport, need a coach who comes in and turns the league on its ear with a run-and-gun style.

But as anyone who's ever played hockey can tell you - anyone can play defense. If you commit to defense and discipline and you work hard, you can neutralize even the most dangerous players.
As long as the NHL rewards mediocrity with the 3-point games, coaches are not going to risk run-and-gun styles.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Well both guys admit it openly. The difference is who is executing the system. You have seen Tampa enough to realize they are constantly flying the zone with Johnson and Kucherov. They just execute the pass. They break the forecheck our pathetic D cannot. When you're asking for support a part of the problem all night is our forwards have to come so low to get the puck because our D cannot make simple passes and plays. So teams continue to be emboldened in their forecheck and the issues compound.

But what’s wrong with our forwards coming so low. I mean I know we aren’t the Soviet national team but isn’t that what they did? They moved pucks they support the puck and they were tough to handle. Again not saying that we would even be good if we did this but me personally I would enjoy watching that over what we see now. We almost have to get lucky to get a chance. Also this way we are at least making high percentage plays and will turn over the puck less, and ice the puck way less. Turnovers really kill us now because when we do we have zero support from forwards cause they have flown the zone and the d are left on there own to defend.

To me it makes no sense to play stretch hockey I would way rather come as a 5 man unit. But who knows maybe that would work either

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't mind the flip passes - to an extent.

If you're playing D and you're expecting the flip pass, you've got to back out of the zone.
You can't try to keep the zone or you could get smoked.

All it takes is 1-2 early flip passes early to put the fear of god into a slow Dman and that creates room and opens passing lanes for outlet passes.

The big problem was we were too slow with our decision making in transition today.
Our defense was pretty poor with the puck behind our own goal, too.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I don't mind the flip passes - to an extent.

If you're playing D and you're expecting the flip pass, you've got to back out of the zone.
You can't try to keep the zone or you could get smoked.

All it takes is 1-2 early flip passes early to put the fear of god into a slow Dman and that creates room and opens passing lanes for outlet passes.
Yes I get that but is it really a good strategy? It’s pure luck to try that and even if the d backs up and you get the puck to the stretch guy he is still there with no support. I do understand it stretches them out but to me it just isn’t entertaining or winning hockey.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The NHL, more than any other pro sport, need a coach who comes in and turns the league on its ear with a run-and-gun style.

But as anyone who's ever played hockey can tell you - anyone can play defense. If you commit to defense and discipline and you work hard, you can neutralize even the most dangerous players.
As long as the NHL rewards mediocrity with the 3-point games, coaches are not going to risk run-and-gun styles.

Totally agree and it also might come down to a hand-checking (NBA) and well several of the QB driven NFL rules.

Sullivan plays offensive transition hockey. Cooper and Blashill both used it at lower levels, Cooper has found a more skilled group to do it with at the NHL level as has Sullivan.

I prefer the European model for how points are awarded. I know the history purists will hate what it does to the record book but it would help. I also would like to see the trapezoid disappear entirely. Those are two ideas I would do backflips for if the NHL put them in tomorrow.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Put the 2 line pass rule back in it will stop teams from doing the stupid flip and stretch pass and you’ll see a way better flow to the game imo

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Put the 2 line pass rule back in it will stop teams from doing the stupid flip and stretch pass and you’ll see a way better flow to the game imo

I don't miss those days at all. It is certainly something a good team uses to its advantage in terms of long stretch passes and flip plays. I do think it would help with concussions and injuries though, heck a lot more than eliminating fighting in my opinion.

EDIT: Good teams have multiple options, that unfortunately really is our best and all too often only option with the talent we have on the back-end. Heck in terms of puck support pay attention to how often it is our forward way down low executing this play. Bertuzzi is making a pass from very deep, Larkin's flip pass was way deep. That is actually the support you are wondering about, that a bunch of our best breakout passes actually happen by our forwards is extremely troubling.

Last edited:

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I don't miss those days at all. It is certainly something a good team uses to its advantage in terms of long stretch passes and flip plays. I do think it would help with concussions and injuries though, heck a lot more than eliminating fighting.
I think it would make teams make short passes and play with support way more. That’s the hockey I like. Cant stand the flip or just guys tipping pucks in then forechecking imo the nhl has become so boring in that sense

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...EDIT: Good teams have multiple options, that unfortunately really is our best and all too often only option with the talent we have on the back-end. Heck in terms of puck support pay attention to how often is our forward way down low executing this play. Bertuzzi is making a pass from very deep, Larkin's flip pass was way deep. That is actually the support you are wondering about, that a bunch of our best breakout passes actually happen by our forwards is extremely troubling.

Yeah I don't see much difference between Blashill & Cooper's "system" vs. the rest of the NHL. The flow is supposed to be quick moving and forward instead of slowing the play down laterally between the D like the Wings used to do to maintain possession and set up. As you say I see the better teams flip it many times, pass to a cutting center others, hard up the boards, whatever. Every team just wants to get the puck up ice instantaneously. The back and forth is a rush I love when games get flowing like that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think it would make teams make short passes and play with support way more. That’s the hockey I like. Cant stand the flip or just guys tipping pucks in then forechecking imo the nhl has become so boring in that sense

I am not wild about the stretch chip either (which you can actually thank Babcock for) but like it or not, unskilled teams play this way because they cannot be competitive without turning defensemen and forcing their opposition to move the puck 200 feet. It is expressly designed to get pucks deep while minimizing the risk of neutral zone turnovers. If you want to attack the neutral zone as a five-man unit on the regroup, be my guest. You will find yourself skating into a mass of humanity as opposing defensemen step-up in the neutral zone and quickly force turnovers. The stretch may not always give you the immediate possession that you want, but it does create space in the neutral zone. Our bigger issue in initiating transition is that our defensemen are never a threat to actually skate the puck and cannot beat the initial fore checker with their feet (apart from Daley at times).

Puck support though is certainly a big issue in the offensive zone. On our bad nights we do a very poor job of supporting the man with the puck in the offensive zone at even strength and on the PP.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nice to see AA producing (11p last 12G) and Bert picking up some points as well.

Otherwise expected loss, heading closer to a TDL sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad