Injury Report: Dach and Toews to LTIR and Seabrook to IR

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
You missed the point.

They have Marian Gaborik, Nikita Kucherov, and Anders Nilsson on LTIR. That's 17mil.
The roster they are playing with is ~80mil in a 81.5mil cap.

80mil + 17mil = 97mil in cap hits.

I wonder what they do next year. Only Coleman and Goodrow coming off the books. We should try to capitalize somehow.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Does anyone else think that Seabrook is done and all of this conjecture is the Hawks doing their due diligence before he's off to LTIRetirement?

its definitely a non-zero possibility...Seabrook might want to come back but its just so unlikely after multiple surgeries that he will ever play consistently again...He wasn't an NHL defenseman before the surgeries so why would that change now after sitting out for over a year from game action and participating in almost no team practices

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Yes. This has been my belief since the surgeries were announced.

The concerning thing is the surgeries were supposed to help his back issues and it sounds like his back is acting up again so while the surgeries may have fixed specific issues, it hasn't fixed the back problem.

Reactions: Muffinalt

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The concerning thing is the surgeries were supposed to help his back issues and it sounds like his back is acting up again so while the surgeries may have fixed specific issues, it hasn't fixed the back problem.
take it from someone who lives with a chronic back issue as a result of a Motor Vehicle Accident some 30 years ago

once you have a back problem that is significant, you never ever get back to what it was prior to the injury

all you can do is try to make the best of it, maintenance visits to the Chiropractor and insane amount of stretching is how I can still walk

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Well, that's what's being reported. Again, I don't think there was ever any intention of Seabrook playing for this team again once he had those surgeries.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Does anyone know what Dach is up to conditioning wise?
If there is any hope of his coming back towards the end of the season and hopefully playing in the PO's if we are so lucky I would hope he's skating and working his lower body.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Does anyone know what Dach is up to conditioning wise?
If there is any hope of his coming back towards the end of the season and hopefully playing in the PO's if we are so lucky I would hope he's skating and working his lower body.
From an interview on the 8th:

""I heard Kirby Dach was back skating. Do you have an update on his rehab and is there a chance he returns later this season?

I don’t have an update on that. I think he’s going sometime soon for the next check-in, so have a better idea then. But I think it’s going to be one of those cases where he’s going to feel and we’re going to see and think he’s ready to play much earlier than he’s actually ready. Watching him skate, I think he probably could play today, just the way his skating is. He’s a great skater and he’s fresh and he’s young. But obviously with those things, you just have to let the full healing take place. So I don’t think the timeline is shifted. It certainly hasn’t been delayed. Whether it’s been accelerated or not, I don’t know that. But I think there’s been no issues at all with the healing and everything’s been going along really well.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

""I heard Kirby Dach was back skating. Do you have an update on his rehab and is there a chance he returns later this season?

I don’t have an update on that. I think he’s going sometime soon for the next check-in, so have a better idea then. But I think it’s going to be one of those cases where he’s going to feel and we’re going to see and think he’s ready to play much earlier than he’s actually ready. Watching him skate, I think he probably could play today, just the way his skating is. He’s a great skater and he’s fresh and he’s young. But obviously with those things, you just have to let the full healing take place. So I don’t think the timeline is shifted. It certainly hasn’t been delayed. Whether it’s been accelerated or not, I don’t know that. But I think there’s been no issues at all with the healing and everything’s been going along really well.
Awesome thanks for that Giovi!

Reactions: Pez68

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

promising...young people do heal faster...not sure it will happen however can you imagine if Dach did return how that would elevate the team...

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Readed somewhere that his cast is still on. I don't remember did I read that this week or last week.:(

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
It'll be a glorious day when the Hawks will finally be free from that Seabs deal. The man contributed greatly during his prime with the Blackhawks but his days are sadly, and obviously behind him.

I wish him all the best and hope that his injuries don't wind up plagueing him long in to the future. As horrific as he's been lately when he plays, you can't deny the fact that he scored some big goals for the club during the playoff runs.

I'll never forget the playoffs against the Blues when he levelled Backes.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know if pkayersvonKTIR get fill pay or only 2/3 pay as with most disability insurance coverage which I am certain all NHL clubs pay for in case their players out long term?

Or is the club on the hook to pay the other
1/3 even if the injured player cannot fulfill his cobtract while being injured? Does the CBA guarantee players full pay if injurred 2/3 of "salary" reimbursed by insurance coverage and 1/3 on club's own risk ...or do they only get the insurance disbursement like with all other disability coverages for employees in other businesses?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
According to Toews contract in 2021/22 and in 2022/23 (the last 2 seasons renaining on his deal) EACH of these seasons Hawks still must pay him $4million in bonus and $2.9 million in "salary"..

So the question is:

IF Toews medical problen doesnit resolve so he can pkay again next season:

.will he voluntarily retire abd forgoe alk that loot still owed him...or just opt for LTIR to still collect his money owed?

In this case of LTIR are Hawks still obligated forcthe bonus portion since he cannot show up ready to play?

Or is each season's decision on LTIR made too late to prevent player from gettibg his bonus?
So if bonus due July1st and the LTIR comes only with 1st game of the season why woukd tgecHawjs want to pay$8million in bonus still owing if he can never play again?

ObviouslyvHawjs would want to buy out his salary remaining to avoid paying the $4million bonus money ..

So to me ..IF the situation resolved into he cannot okay again...expect Hawjscto buy him out and just be in the hook for 2/3 of his "salary" portion remaining spread over 4 years...
So do not exoect Toews to forgo another 2/3 x $5.8million even if it takes hom 4 more years to get it all.

Thus LOGIC sYs Hawks buy him out IF they think he cannotbpkay again or are UNCERTAIN about him playing next seadon..I do not hunk they will grant him 2021/22 off ifvtgey think he only woukd bechealtgy by 2022/23.

So here is my take:

Either Toews is healthy and ready to play nextcsesdon...Or they buy him out!before tgey have to pay his bonus money...

If you were running the Hawks you too would make tgatcdecusion.

So between now and whenever his bonus must be paid,Hawks will need to know if he will be available healthy to play next season or not...If there is any uncertainty about that...they buy him out.

If on the other hand insurance does cover bonuses owed to injured players,and if lHawks thought he was finaljyvrecoverubgcand woukd bevhealthy by say January 2022 to implement nextcseadon .THEN Hawks might opt for LTIR and let him havectge bonus money (or whatever portion insurance pays ..

In other words it it crucial for Hawks to know by this sumner before bonuscpaid how soon or If Toews plays again.

If they cannot know..I think they just buy him out anyway .

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
According to Toews contract in 2021/22 and in 2022/23 (the last 2 seasons renaining on his deal) EACH of these seasons Hawks still must pay him $4million in bonus and $2.9 million in "salary"..

So the question is:

IF Toews medical problen doesnit resolve so he can pkay again next season:

.will he voluntarily retire abd forgoe alk that loot still owed him...or just opt for LTIR to still collect his money owed?

In this case of LTIR are Hawks still obligated forcthe bonus portion since he cannot show up ready to play?

Or is each season's decision on LTIR made too late to prevent player from gettibg his bonus?
So if bonus due July1st and the LTIR comes only with 1st game of the season why woukd tgecHawjs want to pay$8million in bonus still owing if he can never play again?

ObviouslyvHawjs would want to buy out his salary remaining to avoid paying the $4million bonus money ..

So to me ..IF the situation resolved into he cannot okay again...expect Hawjscto buy him out and just be in the hook for 2/3 of his "salary" portion remaining spread over 4 years...
So do not exoect Toews to forgo another 2/3 x $5.8million even if it takes hom 4 more years to get it all.

Thus LOGIC sYs Hawks buy him out IF they think he cannotbpkay again or are UNCERTAIN about him playing next seadon..I do not hunk they will grant him 2021/22 off ifvtgey think he only woukd bechealtgy by 2022/23.

So here is my take:

Either Toews is healthy and ready to play nextcsesdon...Or they buy him out!before tgey have to pay his bonus money...

If you were running the Hawks you too would make tgatcdecusion.

So between now and whenever his bonus must be paid,Hawks will need to know if he will be available healthy to play next season or not...If there is any uncertainty about that...they buy him out.

If on the other hand insurance does cover bonuses owed to injured players,and if lHawks thought he was finaljyvrecoverubgcand woukd bevhealthy by say January 2022 to implement nextcseadon .THEN Hawks might opt for LTIR and let him havectge bonus money (or whatever portion insurance pays ..

In other words it it crucial for Hawks to know by this sumner before bonuscpaid how soon or If Toews plays again.

If they cannot know..I think they just buy him out anyway .

If he has an illness that prevents him from playing his pay would be covered by insurance, like the Hossa contract. Also you can't buyout players on LTIR without their consent and there is no reason for a player to agree to that. It's the equivalent of asking a worker to waive his drug benefits and pay out of pocket because they have expensive prescriptions that drive up the cost of the company's health plan. It's nuts.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So you arexsurvtgevinsutabce covers all his salary bonus owed ? IT must be a huge premium ..because ordinary longvtermdisabikity insurance onlynpay 2/3 of salary to workers.

But I guess the CBA guaratiesxalk money owed to injured players ...but doesctge onsirancevonlynpauvapart of it and the climbing male up thevrestvor does the insurance protect the club by covering All its contractvonligationsvtobthebpjayer?
If you are not allowed to buy out LTIR guys thenI guess wexsitcaround forc2 more years whike Toewscust collects and we do notcsee him..

Also isvtgebinjuryvwork related or merely a health issue in general.. I cannot believe the club pays for that risk..

If a guy injured on the job or intriguing for work...that isc1 thing.. if he gets hurt or sick off the job why shoukdvthe club not be allowed to buy him out..
It should cover only work related illness or injury..

In the Hossa case it was that he could no longer wear the equipment as it caused painful skin problems to hom...so I get that the CBA covered that...and a legit no buyout allowed only LTIR..but ifca player getsxsY Cancer ...nothing to do with work.. doescthevinsurance cover that in extra benefits over what they woukd cover if any other employer got cancer not caused by the job?

In other words ate tgere

Exceptions wherecanzlTIR giy can be bought ought specifically because his malady was not work-related?

So again..I ask..ate you certain that underpants circumstance he coukd not be bought out ?

Remember too.. tgat LTIR must be assigned each season ..So if tgey decline to out hom onLYIR nextcsesson why can't tgey buy hom out before the deadline to declare the annual LTIR listing?

It would seem there must be a window unless the CBA has specific wording regarding players who were on LTIR thisvpastcseason but show medicalbproofvtgeyvstill cannot pkay.

There simply cannot be a general rule where clubs take on190% risk for non-job related injury or illness.. Otherwidexavokayer coukd beconecacdrig addict ...preventing him from playing..and the club still pays via the insurance for the whokevshevang owed to hom forvthecredtbofvthe cobtract?

That us crazy.. So there must be sone items not covered and if not covered may be the club can use a buy-out for a guy who was out the prior season under LTIR?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00