Injury Report: Dach and Toews to LTIR and Seabrook to IR

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I mean, Hossa was literally elected into the Hall of Fame while on LTIR. It's retirement except on the books. This season is actually Hossa's last contract year.

right but the Hawks books are what I care about. Pronger got hired by the league while he was still on a roster, lol

Reactions: FeatherHead

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Somehow I doubt he's going to leave $15.5 million on the table.

right but the Hawks books are what I care about. Pronger got hired by the league while he was still on a roster, lol

tenor (8).gif

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
All the guy said that you quoted was, he believes Seabrook may retire. Nothing was said about cap implications.

Not to mention, it's easy to retire and not leave money on the table. Which was his original point.

I have no idea what he's even arguing at this point.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
The problem with an LTIR retirement is you can't go on LTIR until day one of the season so that's $6.875M of unused cap space every off-season that can't be filled for three more offseasons.

This smells like Anisimov to me where everyone thought we'd be able to trade him whenever, no problem. Then when we finally found a suitor, we had to take back Zack Smith at $3M+ for 2 more years.

There are no easy answers with Seabrook besides an outright retirement or mutual termination, both pipe dreams. The Hawks are screwed on the ice, they need to strike gold in the draft. They're gonna have 2-3 of these golden picks coming up.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah.... Kings, Mild, Senators, and Devils especially without Crawford will be bad, but probably all close with the Hawks come the end of the year.
I dunno. I think Blackwood is going to be a pretty damned good goaltender and keep the Devils in more games than they should be. Tonight was a great example right off the bat.

Reactions: Pertti and RayP

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The problem with an LTIR retirement is you can't go on LTIR until day one of the season so that's $6.875M of unused cap space every off-season that can't be filled for three more offseasons.

This smells like Anisimov to me where everyone thought we'd be able to trade him whenever, no problem. Then when we finally found a suitor, we had to take back Zack Smith at $3M+ for 2 more years.

There are no easy answers with Seabrook besides an outright retirement or mutual termination, both pipe dreams. The Hawks are screwed on the ice, they need to strike gold in the draft. They're gonna have 2-3 of these golden picks coming up.

It doesn't matter because you get a 10% overage in the off-season. Toronto used this a couple seasons in a row to stay cap compliant with their LTIR contracts. If Seabrook is LTIRetires, there's very little downside.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I dunno. I think Blackwood is going to be a pretty damned good goaltender and keep the Devils in more games than they should be. Tonight was a great example right off the bat.

Great goalie but they don't have a capable backup and so far, Blackwood has struggled with heavier workloads. They'll have to rest him a lot or he'll get injured again.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Surprise for me was Toews on LTIR 'cause I thought he was weeks away to coming back.

If Seabrook retires his cap hit doesn't go away, sum of it still stays? (a 'la Luongo).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Surprise for me was Toews on LTIR 'cause I thought he was weeks away to coming back.

If Seabrook retires his cap hit doesn't go away, sum of it still stays? (a 'la Luongo).
Toews can still come back in 10 games, or 24 days. I doubt he does but..

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It doesn't matter because you get a 10% overage in the off-season. Toronto used this a couple seasons in a row to stay cap compliant with their LTIR contracts. If Seabrook is LTIRetires, there's very little downside.

bowman talked about this before, you still have to be cap compliant on day 1. It’s not as easy as LTIR seabrook, you can use that money freely

Reactions: Giovi

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I mean of course there is no downside to it, but you’re also only going to be able to use that money on rentals you have to overpay for mid season. This team won’t be good enough to even need a rental for a playoff push until that contract is basically over.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
bowman talked about this before, you still have to be cap compliant on day 1. It’s not as easy as LTIR seabrook, you can use that money freely
Explain how Tampa is cap compliant then. Bowman was talking about needing space to add players and make acquisitions throughout the year, so needing extra space for that. Off season LTIR is different than in season.

I dont think the Hawks really have to worry about cap space for a couple years anyway.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Tampa Bay and Toronto have both used this in recent years to be over the cap, but remain cap compliant. It doesn't matter, because on day 1...those players hit LTIR and you are cap compliant. It's not a concern for the Hawks at all.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
The Hawks will not be contending for a cup run for several years now so ltir’ing Seabrook will not strain the Hawks for the remainder of his contract.

The only thing it restricts is the ability of the Hawks to take on someone else’s ltir contract in return for assets. Stan will have his own ltir contracts that will be on the books. It’s a tool to acquire assets which Stan won’t have available.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Explain how Tampa is cap compliant then. Bowman was talking about needing space to add players and make acquisitions throughout the year, so needing extra space for that. Off season LTIR is different than in season.

I dont think the Hawks really have to worry about cap space for a couple years anyway.

They waived 2 vets and didn't dress them for opening night. After game 1, teams can use LTIR to save against the cap. But prior to game 1, they can't.

""""Veterans Tyler Johnson and Luke Schenn won't be available for the Lightning on Opening Night. Both were placed on waivers Monday in an effort to take advantage of the CBA rules and create as much cap space and flexibility as possible. The two cleared waivers Tuesday but can't play in tonight's season opener. They'll be eligible to play Friday when the Bolts host the Blackhawks again at AMALIE Arena in game No. 2 of 2020-21 and going forward the rest of the season."""""

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They waived 2 vets and didn't dress them for opening night. After game 1, teams can use LTIR to save against the cap. But prior to game 1, they can't.

""""Veterans Tyler Johnson and Luke Schenn won't be available for the Lightning on Opening Night. Both were placed on waivers Monday in an effort to take advantage of the CBA rules and create as much cap space and flexibility as possible. The two cleared waivers Tuesday but can't play in tonight's season opener. They'll be eligible to play Friday when the Bolts host the Blackhawks again at AMALIE Arena in game No. 2 of 2020-21 and going forward the rest of the season."""""
You missed the point.

They have Marian Gaborik, Nikita Kucherov, and Anders Nilsson on LTIR. That's 17mil.
The roster they are playing with is ~80mil in a 81.5mil cap.

80mil + 17mil = 97mil in cap hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad