D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023, 5th, MTL)

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Big russian is a 7th defenseman for his team and a non factor in playoffs so far

Played most of the season in KHL as a 18 yold and putting up some decent numbers is still good. IMO, he has higher ceiling

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Played most of the season in KHL as a 18 yold and putting up some decent numbers is still good. IMO, he has higher ceiling
That's a classic reputation call, or a "gut feeling". Internationals are not played by russians at the moment, and nothing from Simashev's performance in KHL this year tells "this is a blue chip prospect". He is playing a limited, sheltered role.
Maybe he has a higher ceiling than Reinbacher, maybe not. At this point, he is an enigma and a project.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
That's a classic reputation call, or a "gut feeling". Internationals are not played by russians at the moment, and nothing from Simashev's performance in KHL this year tells "this is a blue chip prospect". He is playing a limited, sheltered role.
Maybe he has a higher ceiling than Reinbacher, maybe not. At this point, he is an enigma and a project.

While it might be true, i was responding to the comment that he wasn't good enough to play in the KHL.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
You have no way of knowing what he will become, just like people like me who aren't fans can say he won't be a top four guy.

What we can say is he was disappointing this year for a guy taken 5th overall.

I never saw the appeal, he's not going to be a guy that puts up much in the way of points and he's not gonna be a Slavin like defender, so what makes him worthy of 5th overall? I think they should have taken a forward and I think Willander and the big Russian taken by the yotes will end up better.
It’s not some outrageous opinion to say he is gonna be a top 4 dman, lol. It’s easy to see he is gonna be a good NHL defenceman.

The poster compared his selection to Andersson and Kravtsov, two players who aren’t in the league.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It’s not some outrageous opinion to say he is gonna be a top 4 dman, lol. It’s easy to see he is gonna be a good NHL defenceman.

The poster compared his selection to Andersson and Kravtsov, two players who aren’t in the league.
Fair enough, top four is pretty ambiguous and you're right he's not going to be a bottom pairing guy.

The thing is tho with such a forward heavy draft and such a need in Montreal for an impact forward, it seems like a really low bar for a 5th overall pick. Throw in the fact that this draft has so many high -end D it just leaves me scratching my head.

As for hab fans, many have now put silly expectations on him because of guys like Michkov etc being available.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
At the end of the day the Habs got a good sized, shutdown RHD which is very very hard to find. (Off the top of my head both Toronto and Ottawa have seemingly wanted one forever)

With that said, what he's done is disappointing for a 5th overall selection. Hopefully you pair him with Hutson and they can meet in the middle to create a good pair.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wayyyyyyyyy to early to judge a prospect. So hard to say what the f*** was going on with his shit show of a team in Switzerland this season. It's hard to say what he will eventually become. There were tons of negative comments regarding Slafkovsky during his D+1 season as well.

Anyways, he's in North America now and will continue to develop under the Habs prospect development team.

Reactions: abo9 and pouf pouf

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
At the end of the day the Habs got a good sized, shutdown RHD which is very very hard to find. (Off the top of my head both Toronto and Ottawa have seemingly wanted one forever)

With that said, what he's done is disappointing for a 5th overall selection. Hopefully you pair him with Hutson and they can meet in the middle to create a good pair.
Points wise maybe, but when you look at his team and see that he is the top point getter for his team on the back end(there is a dude above him, but he's also listed as RW) and in his 17 missed games he's only 18 points back of the top point getter overall on the team.

The team just sucked offensively and it has been stated Reinbacher doesn't have the offensive game that maybe people want, so his low offensive production isn't a surprise, or really a disappointment when you look at the big picture

Reactions: pouf pouf

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Points wise maybe, but when you look at his team and see that he is the top point getter for his team on the back end(there is a dude above him, but he's also listed as RW) and in his 17 missed games he's only 18 points back of the top point getter overall on the team.

The team just sucked offensively and it has been stated Reinbacher doesn't have the offensive game that maybe people want, so his low offensive production isn't a surprise, or really a disappointment when you look at the big picture
Yes but this is exactly why it's disappointing for a 5th overall pick. Which is exactly what I and others have said.

Reactions: Nicko999

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Reinbacher had 22 points in 46 games last year, this year he has 11 points in 35. This is a significant decline. Also -15 instead of +7.

Any way you look at it, his current season is worse than his previous season. That's not a good sign. And he's also ranked worse within his team in scoring than last season.

I also definitely do consider it a disappointment, as I do every time that a player of this age has a worse season than their previous one was.

Last season, Reinbacher could have been seen as a bit of a statwatcher-trap. I didn't really see any gameplay by him, and I wonder how many teams extensively scout NLA. Defensemen rarely get drafted from there in the first round.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Reinbacher had 22 points in 46 games last year, this year he has 11 points in 35. This is a significant decline. Also -15 instead of +7.

Any way you look at it, his current season is worse than his previous season. That's not a good sign. And he's also ranked worse within his team in scoring than last season.

I also definitely do consider it a disappointment, as I do every time that a player of this age has a worse season than their previous one was.

Last season, Reinbacher could have been seen as a bit of a statwatcher-trap. I didn't really see any gameplay by him, and I wonder how many teams extensively scout NLA. Defensemen rarely get drafted from there in the first round.
It's the same as Colby Barlow for the Jets, he has a disppointing season so far but if you take into account his injury and the fact that he's playing with an awful OS team you can see that this guy is still a solid prospect.

Reinbacher will start this weekend in the AHL and I can't wait to see how he play. I'm still expecting a two-way 1st pairing defenceman from him in the future.

Reactions: pouf pouf

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Fair enough, top four is pretty ambiguous and you're right he's not going to be a bottom pairing guy.

The thing is tho with such a forward heavy draft and such a need in Montreal for an impact forward, it seems like a really low bar for a 5th overall pick. Throw in the fact that this draft has so many high -end D it just leaves me scratching my head.

As for hab fans, many have now put silly expectations on him because of guys like Michkov etc being available.
Agreed, I don't think there's ever going to come a time where it's the right pick, but Reinbacher is tracking to become a type of player that is very sought after and very hard to find - big, mobile RHD so if he becomes a legit top pair guy that's pretty great.

It does wreak a little bit of Adam Larsson at #4 though, who is a fine player that a lot of teams would love to add, but pretty unglamorous for a top 5 pick. I actually think he could end up basically being Larsson but better skater and more offense

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Agreed, I don't think there's ever going to come a time where it's the right pick, but Reinbacher is tracking to become a type of player that is very sought after and very hard to find - big, mobile RHD so if he becomes a legit top pair guy that's pretty great.

It does wreak a little bit of Adam Larsson at #4 though, who is a fine player that a lot of teams would love to add, but pretty unglamorous for a top 5 pick. I actually think he could end up basically being Larsson but better skater and more offense
Sounds like people are already trying to justify his disappointing projection.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

You can say that with retrospect but at the time of the draft Larsson was probably the top prospect and it was pretty surprising he fell to 4 even.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Sounds like people are already trying to justify his disappointing projection.
My first sentence was literally "I don't think there's ever going to come a time where it's the right pick", in what world is that justifying? Reality is reality, they picked Reinbacher not Michkov there's no point lamenting the pick. He has a pretty high floor as a top 4 D and potential to be more than that, seeing him as a contributing part of the team's future doesn't mean I think they made the right choice

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad