D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023, 5th, MTL)

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Flyers fan here. Kept a close eye on Reichbacher last year given where PHI was picking. Really liked Reichbacher, had him 8th on my personal list and think he has the chance to be a good 2/3 dman.

From an outside perspective didn’t really have a good year. Both team wise and personally for himself. Montreal fans, am I in the right ballpark with that assessment?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From an outside perspective didn’t really have a good year. Both team wise and personally for himself. Montreal fans, am I in the right ballpark with that assessment?

He doesn't have a single goal all season against a goalie, that alone kind of sums of the season he's had as that's never what you want to hear from a 5th OA pick unless it's a goalie prospect of course.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He doesn't have a single goal all season against a goalie, that alone kind of sums of the season he's had as that's never what you want to hear from a 5th OA pick unless it's a goalie prospect of course.

It's almost impossible to score goals as a defenseman playing for Kloten these days. The only Kloten defenseman with more goals than Reinbacher is Nicholas Steiner who scored a whopping 3. Tells you everything you need to know.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
At least Reinbacher was extremely young for his draft year, so there should definitely be more upside there than you might think at first glance.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You have it backwards, he was old for his draft year. If he was a few weeks older would have been 2022 eligible.
Elias Salomonsson (Jets 2nd round pick in 2022) is only 2 months older than Reinbacher, and he's the leading even-strength D producer on a strong Swedish Elite League team.

Reinbacher is still young, and could be a good one, but it will be hard to fully assess until he's been in a different situation, I guess.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Is Montreal the only team where the local fans UNDERRATE their prospects? Every other team over rates them, but for years I periodically find myself arguing with MTL fans about how their prospects are better than they're able to acknowledge at the time. But they always come around ;).

It depends.

The fanbase has a tendency to underrates the likes of Slafkovsky, Price, Reinbacher.

But on the other end, a plethora of marginal prospects have been greatly overvalued.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It depends.

The fanbase has a tendency to underrates the likes of Slafkovsky, Price, Reinbacher.

But on the other end, a plethora of marginal prospects have been greatly overvalued.
Yeah it's odd. I guess the high picks have such high expectations so that when they don't become Rantanen or Ekblad right away, Canadiens fans shit on them due to little patience (Cup drought, no 90+ pts players since Damphousse), while conversely, the mid to later round picks are always thought to be nothing, until they start moderately popping off, which leads to the Sean Farrell types of the world to get massively overrated.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you play in the CHL ok, but a 19 year old D should not turn around a trash team in the NLA
Agreed. Especially as a defenseman it's almost impossible to just go yolo mode playing vs men. Hockey is a team sport. Also, if he tried to go full yolo and consistently gambled on offense in order to up his personal numbers he probably would have gotten his TOI cut down significantly. Not sure that would have been a smart thing to do.

Furthermore, Reinbacher is a puck mover by nature, not a puck hog or dangler. Reinbacher likes fast paced hockey, is most valuable when it comes to speeding up transition and creating quality chances off the rush. For that he kinda needs capable teammates he can pass the puck to and who are able to something with it. His stats would look completely different on a better team but it is what it is. Adversity can make you stronger as well. I'm not yet worried about him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jeff Gorton is terrible with top 10 picks. Reinbacher might be his next Andersson or Kravtsov.

From the draft video the Habs put out it made it look like Gorton was surprised and he asked a couple times if they were sure but they were all in agreement. I thought it was a smokescreen that early in the year it was leaked that the Habs were high on Reinbacher as it doesn't make sense to me to leak that but sure enough they were right.

Jul 6, 2016
According to many rumours, Nashville was ready to trade Askarov + their own 1st rounder for Reinbacher at #5 spot. Philly was ready to trade Cutter Gauthier (+???) to pick Reinbacher. And Arizona was hoping that he would be available at #6. So, the kid must have some great potential .

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
According to many rumours, Nashville was ready to trade Askarov + their own 1st rounder for Reinbacher at #5 spot. Philly was ready to trade Cutter Gauthier (+???) to pick Reinbacher. And Arizona was hoping that he would be available at #6. So, the kid must have some great potential .
I thought the rumors around Nashville trading up was for them to take a Center?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Reinbacher is at worse a top 4. Nothing to do with Andersson or Kravtsov situation.

@Devonator care to explain what is funny?
You have no way of knowing what he will become, just like people like me who aren't fans can say he won't be a top four guy.

What we can say is he was disappointing this year for a guy taken 5th overall.

I never saw the appeal, he's not going to be a guy that puts up much in the way of points and he's not gonna be a Slavin like defender, so what makes him worthy of 5th overall? I think they should have taken a forward and I think Willander and the big Russian taken by the yotes will end up better.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You have no way of knowing what he will become, just like people like me who aren't fans can say he won't be a top four guy.

What we can say is he was disappointing this year for a guy taken 5th overall.

I never saw the appeal, he's not going to be a guy that puts up much in the way of points and he's not gonna be a Slavin like defender, so what makes him worthy of 5th overall? I think they should have taken a forward and I think Willander and the big Russian taken by the yotes will end up better.
Big russian is a 7th defenseman for his team and a non factor in playoffs so far

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I thought the rumor was Nashville would have traded Askarov plus the 15th pick to San Jose for 4th overall to take Carlsson had the draft gone Bedard, Fantilli, Smith (Columbus liked Smith more than Carlsson). But since Verbeek went with Carlsson at 2, that nixed the plan.

Regardless, a lot of teams were higher on Reinbacher than most of us.

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad