D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
There is also high possibility that he is a bust and never plays a nhl game. Joe colborne 90 in 55 AJHL games with a way worse team.

His skating and hockey IQ will get him in the nhl, Colborne is really a terrible comparison. I have been saying for quite a while i hope the wings get him, he is exactly what we need.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
His skating and hockey IQ will get him in the nhl, Colborne is really a terrible comparison. I have been saying for quite a while i hope the wings get him, he is exactly what we need.

I honestly don't think he has the complete game to be a number one dman. You have to have next level hockey IQ to be a smaller framed guy like karlsson and be able to be true #1. If he make the nhl I see him as a gostisbehere type player. I honestly think Heiskanen has more potential than him. I also don't see him getting past Arizona even if he does Buffalo will take him.

Last edited:

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015
Why does he want to play in the NCAA and at UMass of all places? How much education is he going to get in one or two years?

The Bandits have a strong connection to UMASS. At this time I believe we have 3 former players there right now, and including Makar, have 3 more committed for the future. You have to understand that his committment to UMASS came about 18 months ago, long before he was a draft prospect let alone a top 10 prospect. He was quite small when he first committed and it looked like several years in the gym and a quality education at a top notch university was a good plan.

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015
I was saying that joe colborne lit up the AJHL on a weaker team meaning that Makar's numbers might be inflated.

You really have to watch him play. It has jack all to do with numbers. The way he controls the puck at high speed, read plays, dangle through defenders is top notch. Once you see him live, you will understand. The first time he played as a 16 year old you could tell he was special. No player has made me say "holy skit" the first time like he has. :handclap::yo:

Reactions: MaKarter

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Bandits have a strong connection to UMASS. At this time I believe we have 3 former players there right now, and including Makar, have 3 more committed for the future. You have to understand that his committment to UMASS came about 18 months ago, long before he was a draft prospect let alone a top 10 prospect. He was quite small when he first committed and it looked like several years in the gym and a quality education at a top notch university was a good plan.

Now that he looks like a top 10 pick, is he open to going to the WHL? Or is he dead set on college?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Now that he looks like a top 10 pick, is he open to going to the WHL? Or is he dead set on college?

looks like hes dead set, unless the team that drafts him can convince him and his agent to go to the CHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is definitely not my area of expertise but what I understand is the AJHL is one of 10 leagues in the CJHL and they gather all 10 league champions to compete in a tournament that eventually leads to the RBC Cup, their version of the Memorial Cup. Since there's 10 league champions there's an additional tourney to get one of the three regional births, this is the step Brooks is in now and they have advanced to the final game of the West regional.

So while this is still junior A and all that, I would consider this a higher level of competition than just the AJHL. One of the league champions they recently played and beat was Pentiction.

He is the dominant player on the dominant team in a tournament featuring the leagues champions from the British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba Junior A leagues. This tournament decides participants in the RBC Cup which is the Junior A version of the Memorial Cup.

Thanks guys. Excited to see how well Makar and the Bandits do in this tournament.

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015

He is still planning on going to UMASS. He has never once talked about going to WHL. The coach at UMASS readily admits he will be a one and done player. I am sure the team who drafts him will have input.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He is still planning on going to UMASS. He has never once talked about going to WHL. The coach at UMASS readily admits he will be a one and done player. I am sure the team who drafts him will have input.

I can't see him being a one and done as a defencemen with his first year at NCAA competition.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You know who else was kicking ass in the AJHL, was extremely exciting, won player of the year award and ended up being a 1st rounder? Joe Colborne.

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015
I read the interview where coach Carvel at UMASS said he will be there for 1 year only. I know dmen especially smaller ones may need more time to develop. I see him doing 1 year at UMASS then AHL for a year then NHL. As for the poster who says he will flame out because Joe Colborne did... well if you discount a player's ability just because a different player from the same league flamed out..well think of it this way, you are saying all players from the QMJHL should be discounted because Alexandre Daigle was a bust...seems stupid doesn't it.

Last edited:

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015
Wasn't Parayko from the AJHL too?

Yes, however he was a different situation entirely. While in the league he was a good, but not outstanding player until late. He really blossomed after he left the league, while Makar was eyepopping from his first game onwards. Its just taken longer for scouts to notice as they don't watch the league enough.

hradekbr

Apr 19, 2017
Yes, however he was a different situation entirely. While in the league he was a good, but not outstanding player until late. He really blossomed after he left the league, while Makar was eyepopping from his first game onwards. Its just taken longer for scouts to notice as they don't watch the league enough.
Yep hit it right on the head. Parayko really hit his stride after leaving the AJHL. Was very good in his second season for the Oil Barons but didn't become a complete defenseman til he got to college.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colborne was very effective and a great player in junior but not consistently dominating and seldom if ever electrifying. Very different.

What Colborne accomplished in 2008 alone:

- 2nd best scorer in the league
- playoff MVP
- player of the year award
- lead his team to win the RBC cup

Translated to the NHL it would be like finishing 2nd in scoring, winning the Hart, winning the Conn Smythe and winning the Stanley Cup. All in one season. I don't know about you but that sounds pretty damn dominant to me.

I'm not saying Makar can't be good but it's a fact that the league is weak.

Last edited:

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'm not saying Makar can't be good but it's a fact that the league is weak.

Yup, you’re totally right here. It’s very hard to project him, especially since we haven’t seen him very much under duress thus far this season.

With his package of skills though, I’m still thinking he’s a lock for a top 10 pick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad