D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Hypothetical question here but if he goes to Medicine Hat Next year, can he play in the AHL when he is 19? I thought I heard something about a rule that if a player signs when they are 18 they not subject to the same rules as players drafted out of the CHL. That might only be for non Canadians though

Since he's a late birthday, he could go to the AHL in his draft+2 regardless of whether or not he plays CHL in his draft+1.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Makar looked like he was playing against Bantams last night..he's at a level I've never seen in Junior A tier 2 ...something to behold.

Here are the Makar highlights - Check out the play he makes on his first goal going outside the blueline for a 1-timer wind up that goes top cheese. The other two plays are excellent as well..makes it look easy.

https://recrutes.ca/cale-makar-2g-1a-vs-portage-may-3-2017/

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Makar looked like he was playing against Bantams last night..he's at a level I've never seen in Junior A tier 2 ...something to behold.

Here are the Makar highlights - Check out the play he makes on his first goal going outside the blueline for a 1-timer wind up that goes top cheese. The other two plays are excellent as well..makes it look easy.

https://recrutes.ca/cale-makar-2g-1a-vs-portage-may-3-2017/
How much of that do you think is Makar being amazing, and how much is the competition being mediocre?

Every time I watch Makar, I can't get over how much faster he is than everybody else. It's like they're in slow-mo.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
How much of that do you think is Makar being amazing, and how much is the competition being mediocre?

Every time I watch Makar, I can't get over how much faster he is than everybody else. It's like they're in slow-mo.

Both. His speed and hands will still be top notch in the NCAA. His passing is good. But when he plays in college he won't be able to walk around everyone as easily. I'm looking forward to seeing how he is defensively against better players. Point is, his strengths will still be strengths at the next level.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Colton Parayko was drafted straight out of the AJHL. I'm sure a lot of teams are kicking themselves for not keeping an eye on him. While Colton is a beast of a man physically, Makar has significantly outproduced him offensively in his draft year. Makar is playing in this league only because he is going the NCAA route.

I hope that Jim Benning is paying attention to him, seeing that he was a star defensemen in the AJHL himself.

Makar has dominated every league/tournament he has participated in, and I think he may turn out to be the best player in this draft.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How does the competition in the AJHL compare to say HS hockey which Mittelstadt played this year?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Colton Parayko was drafted straight out of the AJHL. I'm sure a lot of teams are kicking themselves for not keeping an eye on him. While Colton is a beast of a man physically, Makar has significantly outproduced him offensively in his draft year. Makar is playing in this league only because he is going the NCAA route.

I hope that Jim Benning is paying attention to him, seeing that he was a star defensemen in the AJHL himself.

Makar has dominated every league/tournament he has participated in, and I think he may turn out to be the best player in this draft.

Parayko grew like 5 inches in 2 years from midget to 2nd year junior. Complete bambi on ice till 2nd half of 2nd year which was when he get drafted. Really took off in 1st ncaa year when skill caught up to size and development exploded. Not really good examples

Makes plays ajhl not whl to preserve ncaa eligibility. Parayko played ajhl because he had little to no shot at whl out of midget

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
How does the competition in the AJHL compare to say HS hockey which Mittelstadt played this year?

Much, much faster, more physical and just older (for lack of a better word) than MNHS. There are some very talented players in MNHS, but the vast majority of them spend a year in Tier II hockey (USHL, BCHL or AJHL) before heading to NCAA schools.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Makes plays ajhl not whl to preserve ncaa eligibility. Parayko played ajhl because he had little to no shot at whl out of midget

Why does he want to play in the NCAA and at UMass of all places? How much education is he going to get in one or two years?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why does he want to play in the NCAA and at UMass of all places? How much education is he going to get in one or two years?

I don't think he "chose" it, I think it was the best school that recruited him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think he "chose" it, I think it was the best school that recruited him.

A few decent nhlers have made stops through Amherst over the last ten years. Plus, if people are concerned about his physical strength, the D1 schedule allows for and usually demands a lot of time in the gym/weightroom. The CHL schedule is so loaded, especially for top guys who play internationally, that you usually don't see a whole lot of in-season strength development from prospects. It's all about off-season for major junior weight gain, from what I've seen.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

Prospects undergo 3rd party testing that is standardized. I've seen his numbers, his mobility is off the charts. He beat McDavid in a couple of tests.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Would you mind expanding on this. I'm unfamiliar and would like to learn. Thank you!

This is definitely not my area of expertise but what I understand is the AJHL is one of 10 leagues in the CJHL and they gather all 10 league champions to compete in a tournament that eventually leads to the RBC Cup, their version of the Memorial Cup. Since there's 10 league champions there's an additional tourney to get one of the three regional births, this is the step Brooks is in now and they have advanced to the final game of the West regional.

So while this is still junior A and all that, I would consider this a higher level of competition than just the AJHL. One of the league champions they recently played and beat was Pentiction.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Level of competition really isn't doing Makar any favors here.

Plenty of notable NHLers played in similar leagues in their draft years, including most of the league's NCAA alumni.

Wouldn't Fabbro be an ideal comparison?

Not really, Fabbro likes to allow plays to develop, he's less aggressive and very smooth.

Makar is much more explosive and seems to have some special athletic gifts. Seems like the kind of guy who would could be excellent in several sports.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Would you mind expanding on this. I'm unfamiliar and would like to learn. Thank you!
He is the dominant player on the dominant team in a tournament featuring the leagues champions from the British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba Junior A leagues. This tournament decides participants in the RBC Cup which is the Junior A version of the Memorial Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad