D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Think he'll be a longer term project. Has some skills but will need a few NCAA years. Think he'll be a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Some pretty good numbers and outscoring Ian Mitchell by a lot.

How does the AJHL compare to BCHL? Is the drop off in quality significant?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Makar is a very skilled player...would not be surprised if he climbs the rankings as the season goes on. Seeing Mitchell ranked above him speaks to the lack of frequent scouting that lesser Jr A leagues receive.

AJHL is a step below overall, there is no question. No difference between the top end teams in my eyes, and the AJHL champ always competes at the RBC cup, but they routinely produce 30-50% less NCAA commitments and the bottom feeders would get crushed in the BCHL.

Makar is in the best developmental program in the league though, last year Brooks had the most NCAA commitments in the CJHL, and they currently have the most in the AJHL this season.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Once in awhile the AJHL and more often the BCJHL do retain top quality prospects and quite often those players pay a price on draft day. With a seemingly weak draft in June it wouldn't surprise me if there are more eyes on those leagues than normal.

With his size he might not normally make it into the first 4 rounds, this draft, who knows.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Not many talking about this guy. I think he goes in the tail end of the first round, I really love his explosiveness.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Pasichnuk is bigger and by stat-watching, better and he went undrafted last year. I think Makar has a little more hype than Pasichnuk though, and he will probably get drafted, but late.

This is a nasty, nasty goal though:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Between Makar and Pasichnuk, I'd definitely say Makar has more skill of the two. Having played against both it seemed like with Pasichnuk a lot of his points come from his rocket of a shot, and that's not to say he has no skill at all, since he does, but that's where a lot of his offence comes from I believe. It's also tough to compare numbers wise as Pasichnuk likely got much more opportunities as the Bandits have always had a pretty deep blue line, whereas Bonnyville was not as strong IMO.

Makar moves so well, his mobility really is impressive, but I'd definitely say he's got the most pure skill out of the two.

Reactions: MaKarter

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Comparing two players by stat watching means taking Blake Leask over Colton Parayko.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
He has been nothing short of spectacular tonight. This was a must watch game if you enjoy defensemen just toying with their opponents.

Canada West plays again tomorrow night against the Russian team. It should be a much closer game and probably a more fair test of Makar's skills. The games on being streamed on the Hockey Canada website for those interested.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
1st round sleeper candidate, just like Cholowski last year. Better offensive talent than Dennis though.

axepig

Jul 14, 2014
I looked at past drafts and Ryan Ellis was the last 5'10 to be picked, there was 2 5'11 in 2014 but they are the only sub 6'0 dmen taken in the first round in over 6 years. I think some teams will be afraid of his size and he will be an early 2nd rd, could be a steal this summer.

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015
I live in Brooks and have been watching him for the last 3 years. I have seen him play probably 30+ times, and what you saw in the last game is routine for him. His vision, first pass, stickhandling are truly great. While not a physical player, he offsets that by real sound positioning. His one weakness is a lack of shot from the point. I really wouldn't worry too much about the size, his speed and IQ more than makes up for it. I am really looking forward to how he does at UMass next year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not to sidetrack the thread with an age debate but I always wonder why a late birthday isn't playing in college in their U-19 year if they're going that route, you'd think it would be better for both development and draft stock playing against the better competition if they're good enough?

Does to the Western provinces have a September school cutoff like the states meaning he's just in grade 12 now?

Or is this a question of not being ready for the college game at freshman age, if so- size, late bloomer, why? Any input appreciated

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not to sidetrack the thread with an age debate but I always wonder why a late birthday isn't playing in college in their U-19 year if they're going that route, you'd think it would be better for both development and draft stock playing against the better competition if they're good enough?

Does to the Western provinces have a September school cutoff like the states meaning he's just in grade 12 now?

Or is this a question of not being ready for the college game at freshman age, if so- size, late bloomer, why? Any input appreciated
I was told by someone in the know he was 5'8 last year, taking the slow route may be in his best interest. Like Cholowski, it is interesting that a guy without first round hype is going to a good program but one that lacks a big recruiting name (for example ND, BC, Michigan, BU, etc).

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
At this rate there's no chance he'll be available for teams at the bottom of the 1st round.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Some pretty good numbers and outscoring Ian Mitchell by a lot.

How does the AJHL compare to BCHL? Is the drop off in quality significant?

I've had a lot of buddies play in the BCHL and AJHL and others across Canada, and they've said the further you go past BC and Alberta, the worse the talent gets.

I know a guy I use to play regular minor hockey with, and he plays in Manitoba or somewhere around there, and he was no better than me. :laugh:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
At this rate there's no chance he'll be available for teams at the bottom of the 1st round.

Rightfully so, not a lot of top D this year as it is

whl
bchl

ajhl
junior B

It's not really that simple; Brooks had 18 D1 commitments last year, by far the best program in the league today.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I went and read PK Subban's prospect thread because I think that PK is the most obvious comparable for Makar, and a lot of the praises and criticisms are the same. Makar loves to jump into/lead the rush and walks past people in the neutral zone. This style of play comes with certain risks of course, but I think Makar's puck handling and evasiveness at speed is right up there with anyone in this draft. I think he'll be getting top 15 consideration come draft day, even despite his size, late birthday, and NCAA status.

Reactions: MaKarter

Stud Puffin

Sep 15, 2015
I still think his lack of size/lack of experience against stronger competition will scare off many teams. Think he goes at best late 2nd likely somewhere in the 3rd.

I'm afraid you are right, but I doubt he gets through the 2nd. I get a kick out of all the talk about him now. I was at his very first AJHL game when he was 16. You could see he was special right from game 1. He had that speed and ellusiveness as a 16 year old. He played 3 regular season games as an affiliate then came in for a long playoff run and took a regular shift.

As for his not going to college, he signed his NLI last year before anyone thought he'd be a 1st rd pick. He has always been on the small side and that time needed to mature physically is important. If you are drafting him and expect him to step in right away or even after a year, not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->