D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Who owns his CHL rights? Any chance his new NHL club can talk him out of going to UMASS?

If there was a time for Makar to change his plans, it would have been this season cause Med Hat is a great team and could win the league title. Chances are the team wont be as good next year.

I dont see him changing his plans next year... But u never know i guess

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Every scout I've talked to about him thinks he could be an offensive superstar...those do not last long in the draft. No one wants to pass up on a player who could be the "next Karlsson"...so he's a great bet to go top three I think...which is where Karlsson should have gone in hindsight. This article should open a few eyes....and no... I didn't rank him second overall just for attention..ranked him second because IMO he will end up being one of the top-two players from this draft.

https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Every scout I've talked to about him thinks he could be an offensive superstar...those do not last long in the draft. No one wants to pass up on a player who could be the "next Karlsson"...so he's a great bet to go top three I think...which is where Karlsson should have gone in hindsight. This article should open a few eyes....and no... I didn't rank him second overall just for attention..ranked him second because IMO he will end up being one of the top-two players from this draft.

https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/

You think he projects to be more like an Erik Karlsson then say Tyson Barrie or a Kevin Shattenkirk?

I'm guessing you don't expect him to be around when Buffalo picks...

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
You think he projects to be more like an Erik Karlsson then say Tyson Barrie or a Kevin Shattenkirk?

For sure. His skating/puck skills are far superior to those two at the same age...only d prospect who has possibly had better in the past decade is Karlsson.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Whose seen this kid play live?

I watched him last season without knowing who he was or anything about it. Lets just say I was googling his name shortly into the game. Kid was so far above everyone else on the ice it wasn't funny....and he was just 16. You could just tell he got it and had skill to burn. He had 1 goal and 2 assists in that game if my memory serves and the goal was the gwg.
I've been keeping tabs on him ever since. I haven't seen a playing in junior A play like him since I used to see Kariya in Penticton. I'm obviously not saying he is a Kariya but man this kid has unlimited potential.

Reactions: MaKarter

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Whose seen this kid play live?

I was at a few games in Bonnyville for the World Junior A Championship.

Makar is no Svechnikov but he was more talented than anyone else there. The thing that really strikes me about him is how he plays with so much swagger. He does whatever he wants (in a good way) and he has the skill to pull it off. He's not the biggest guy but he plays way bigger than he is, so I'm not very concerned about his size. All of his abilities could be described as plus, imo, even the defensive ones.

Of course, you wish he was in a higher league so you knew how well he stacked up with a little more certainty. I heard some chatter on HF that he might be selected for the men's world championship team, but I don't know how likely that is. It would be very interesting to see how he would do there.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Scouts are going to have to determine whether he is a Torey Krug or an Erik Karlsson. Not bad either way just a thinking point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For sure. His skating/puck skills are far superior to those two at the same age...only d prospect who has possibly had better in the past decade is Karlsson.

Better than Werenski, Provorov, DeAngelo in that regard? I have a hard time seeing that.

Even Girard in this last draft was pretty gifted there, specifically his puck skills.

Scouts are going to have to determine whether he is a Torey Krug or an Erik Karlsson. Not bad either way just a thinking point.

My biggest fear is that he is Ryan Murph V2. Also I just feel like from a value standpoint, similar players to Makar go in the 15-30 range in most draft classes. Because of the risks associated with them.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Better than Werenski, Provorov, DeAngelo in that regard? I have a hard time seeing that.

Even Girard in this last draft was pretty gifted there, specifically his puck skills.

My biggest fear is that he is Ryan Murph V2. Also I just feel like from a value standpoint, similar players to Makar go in the 15-30 range in most draft classes. Because of the risks associated with them.

I have seen him play a number of times, and if he is available when the wings pick, and holland doesnt pick him, i will be pissed.

Reactions: covfefe

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
His team won the AJHL Championship and he was named Playoff MVP. Im really interested to see where he ends up, could be 4th, 8th or 13th who knows...

Last edited:

RedWingsAllTheWay

Aug 25, 2016
Byron Center
I was able to speak to a college coach recently and his name came up. The coach had said that Cale Makar was the best junior(A) he has ever seen. This came as a bit of a suprise but he was very open about it although he did admit he himself hasn't watched much of the USHL as it isnt his job.

• Love
Reactions: covfefe

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was able to speak to a college coach recently and his name came up. The coach had said that Cale Makar was the best junior(A) he has ever seen. This came as a bit of a suprise but he was very open about it although he did admit he himself hasn't watched much of the USHL as it isnt his job.

It's a good thing he doesn't watch the USHL for Makar as he plays in the AJHL. :)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If there was a time for Makar to change his plans, it would have been this season cause Med Hat is a great team and could win the league title. Chances are the team wont be as good next year.

I dont see him changing his plans next year... But u never know i guess

Hypothetical question here but if he goes to Medicine Hat Next year, can he play in the AHL when he is 19? I thought I heard something about a rule that if a player signs when they are 18 they not subject to the same rules as players drafted out of the CHL. That might only be for non Canadians though

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hypothetical question here but if he goes to Medicine Hat Next year, can he play in the AHL when he is 19? I thought I heard something about a rule that if a player signs when they are 18 they not subject to the same rules as players drafted out of the CHL. That might only be for non Canadians though

Yeah he'd be drafted out of the AJHL instead of the CHL so he could be sent there for a season or to the AHL.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So he's committed to UMASS, but aren't they a terrible team or am I mistaken?

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
So he's committed to UMASS, but aren't they a terrible team or am I mistaken?

UMASS isn't very good especially for their conference. On the bright side though he will be the teams #1 defensman and should get a lot of playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad