WJC: Czech U20 team

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Didn’t see most of the game wow what a result!
Payback for last year I guess!

Who would have thought that after that 1st game, Slovaks would be out in QF and Czechs through to SF..
Exactly. If some seer told me after the first game than one of the two (Czechia, Slovakia) will play in the semis, I would be sure it must be Slovakia. But the Czech team has been improving as the tournament goes on, really an impressive trajectory of performance. Slovakia played a good game vs. Finland. Overtime endings are always tricky, could as well end with the reverse score.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
We were extremely lucky. Those individual passages remind me a bit of the game of our A team under coach Jalonen. One third good, two bad, another two good, one disastrous. The good thing is that now they can play without any pressure. I would like to see much more from Kulich and Šapovaliv (he seems like he has the strength in the ends). And just as great Hrabal as today..
Oh and Mr. Czechboy had a good instinct that Štancl could be a big factor:nod::thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Swipes and Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
That third line is a work of art. Hrabal was great. Didn't really notice metalarsky or redlich much.

Prcik and galvas as spares and callups is just incredible for us too!

Three semifinals in a row and we have now defeated Canada in 2 of our last 3 matches here. We eliminated US two tourneys ago and took them to overtime here.

And I think next year's team is stronger.

I assume Sweden... On paper they are better but they can get nervous in elimination games and we have nothing to lose.

It could be argued that hrabal is the best goalie left in tourney (with Augustine) now that gajan, unfortunately, was eliminated.

Kulich has to be one of the best shooters left too!

We could lose both remaining games and I'd be happy.. we've been quite good since Slovakia loss.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Prčík has been such a pleasant surprise for me. When he replaced Port at the training camp I was like "why this guy from Vítkovice, who barely had any Extraliga experience? OK, they probably needed somebody quick and he happened to be available." But now it seems that the coaches were well aware of what they were doing. He is a very physical defenseman, so hard to move past him along the boards. Keeps his game simple, not much of creativity but no big mistakes either.

Also, the impression I've got from the coaching staff improved a lot since the opening game. It seemed to me that the coaches themselves hadn't been sure about the quality and potential of this team, and kind of fell into the pit together with the players vs. Slovakia. I assume the game vs. Norway helped a lot. The team was able to reach quite a clear and smooth win, scored some nice goals, and everybody inclunding the coaches started to believe they are actually quite good.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
And how poetic it was that it was no other then Bonk who deflected that goal shot 11 second before the end lol .... you should have played for us bro ... you get what you get :D

But he was playing for us man 😉

We were extremely lucky. Those individual passages remind me a bit of the game of our A team under coach Jalonen. One third good, two bad, another two good, one disastrous. The good thing is that now they can play without any pressure. I would like to see much more from Kulich and Šapovaliv (he seems like he has the strength in the ends). And just as great Hrabal as today..
Oh and Mr. Czechboy had a good instinct that Štancl could be a big factor:nod::thumbu:

We always need a bit of luck. I'm a bit worried about Sweden though, not so confident we can beat them.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
But he was playing for us man 😉

We always need a bit of luck. I'm a bit worried about Sweden though, not so confident we can beat them.
I’m pretty confident tbh. Again if Hrabal plays well we have a good chance.
There’s a lot of cohesion in this team. They play really well together and defensively.
So much more pressure on Sweden than Czechs. That is huge advantage.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Turns out we only needed Hadamczik and his magic to come back to be a constant medal threat. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I firmly believe last year's silver WJC squad was the best team of that tournament, so this fluky ass elimination of Canada in the QF feels quite good as a sort of revenge lol.

Too bad Slovakia and Switzerland couldn't pull it off, both got so close and the Swiss loss leaves a somewhat bitter taste too, with the questionable penalties called.
A top 4 consisting of USA, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Switzerland would be an absolute insanity.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Dvorak is in swoft current.. something went sideways here. He always represented then he declined, didn't play another extraliga game and moved to Saskatchewan. That is hel, of a sequence. And, in a rare occurrence, I was fine with him in extraliga.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I’m pretty confident tbh. Again if Hrabal plays well we have a good chance.
There’s a lot of cohesion in this team. They play really well together and defensively.
So much more pressure on Sweden than Czechs. That is huge advantage.
That is our bid edge. Tonnes of pressure on Sweden. None on us.

Otherwise, they are the fav for sure.

To win this we would have to beat Canada, then Sweden and then Finland or US.lol

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Same lines tomorrow

Ftr he did shorten bench and teamed up kulich and sale. Gave sapo two energy guys. I love it.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Well.. let's go for bronze! That'd be tremendous.

Next year's team is stronger. Hrabal has a year to improve his glove.lol.

I've really liked this team and the coaching staff. No complaints really.

Hope to see hrabal in net and hope Kulich breaks out with a few goals. I wouldn't change a thing for tomorrow to be honest.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Depends on Kulich tbh... Otherwise we will have a good team. Not a good threat but we could be a solid pain in the ass.

Goalies are all good and Hrabal is likely starter.

D should be anchored by Hamara, Dvorak, alscher, Port and Ales Cech (undrafted but pretty good). Our 6th might be a potential first rounder in jiricek or Badinka. It's not as good as last year but pretty good. (Note: I'm banking on Hamara to improve after his disastrous season)

F could be solid! Kulich, sapo and sale as a first line would be beautiful! No Kulich and we are weaken considerably. Rest of them should be solid guys that have been drafted in later rounds.

Basically.. the D is good, the F is good and the G is good. Last year we had a good goalie, an exceptional D and slightly below average forwards. The exceptional D did a lot of heavy lifting.

We also lost our very good coach who is now the NT coach.

Should make quarters and then we will be a potential pain in the ass for a big 5 in the quarter.

Goal is to win quarter IMO.
It aged well
Lol

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Well.. let's go for bronze! That'd be tremendous.

Next year's team is stronger. Hrabal has a year to improve his glove.lol.

I've really liked this team and the coaching staff. No complaints really.

Hope to see hrabal in net and hope Kulich breaks out with a few goals. I wouldn't change a thing for tomorrow to be honest.
I honestly say that I expected dominance from Kulich and he "only" plays average in a solid team. He played better last year. I'm not sure if we'll be stronger next year. Both Šapovaliv and Kulich will be gone, from the year 05 no one stands out in attack, I don't see any extra strong group from 06 either, of course the defense looks very good. But the 2007 vintage could really be good..

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I honestly say that I expected dominance from Kulich and he "only" plays average in a solid team. He played better last year. I'm not sure if we'll be stronger next year. Both Šapovaliv and Kulich will be gone, from the year 05 no one stands out in attack, I don't see any extra strong group from 06 either, of course the defense looks very good. But the 2007 vintage could really be good..
That d next year could be lethal.

Galvas, Dvorak, jiricek, badinka, Port, fibigr koci.

Hrabal and milota

That is a great start!

Sale is back... Feldman and stancl. Metalrskiy and Perez. Zidlicky. Them toss in petr, benak, holinka and mix in a Curran and we should be good.

Time will tell. Lots of good young players coming up.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
That d next year could be lethal.

Galvas, Dvorak, jiricek, badinka, Port, fibigr koci.

Hrabal and milota

That is a great start!

Sale is back... Feldman and stancl. Metalrskiy and Perez. Zidlicky. Them toss in petr, benak, holinka and mix in a Curran and we should be good.

Time will tell. Lots of good young players coming up.
Jechoooooooooo

Not worried about next years team. They’ll be set up for success with that D and Hrabal back. D and goaltending wins championship. The offence just has to be good enough and I think it will be.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Jechoooooooooo

Not worried about next years team. They’ll be set up for success with that D and Hrabal back. D and goaltending wins championship. The offence just has to be good enough and I think it will be.
Yup.. and we seem to always have some good undrafted 19 year Olds in chl

Szturc last time
Melovsky, rymon and becher this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland