WJC: Czech U20 team

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
That game against Norway could’ve just awoken the top line. If they can get hot and capitalize at even strength but especially on the PP, will be dangerous. Just need one top performance from Hrabal.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That game against Norway could’ve just awoken the top line. If they can get hot and capitalize at even strength but especially on the PP, will be dangerous. Just need one top performance from Hrabal.
I'm guessing 5-1 US. Hope you guys can easily beat Norway and get 2nd in the pool.. that may be a favorable Germany crossover! Lots of hockey left though and strange things happen.

Reactions: Antiillafire

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Appreciate the vote of confidence but we ain’t winning lol.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we play well for at least 2 periods and keep it close, but that’s it.
USA has also awoken after today. We’re in trouble if we are undisciplined.
I’ve seen crazier things happen and I’ll always cheer no matter what.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Of course every game starts with the score 0-0 with even number of players on each side so everything can happen. But the US team is the biggest gold medal contender by quite a margin this year. It would require a true miracle on ice for the Czech team to beat them. Canada and possibly Sweden might beat the US, it would still be a surprise but not a complete shock. For any other team in the tournament, it would be a miracle.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Of course every game starts with the score 0-0 with even number of players on each side so everything can happen. But the US team is the biggest gold medal contender by quite a margin this year. It would require a true miracle on ice for the Czech team to beat them. Canada and possibly Sweden might beat the US, it would still be a surprise but not a complete shock. For any other team in the tournament, it would be a miracle.
I wonder if Czechs should move Galvas to 2nd pair.
The more I watch every game at this tournament, the more I realize how important it is to have defenseman activate in the attack. Cibulka has been a little underwhelming so far in that regard. Expected a bit more.

Reactions: Czechboy

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I wonder if Czechs should move Galvas to 2nd pair.
The more I watch every game at this tournament, the more I realize how important it is to have defenseman activate in the attack. Cibulka has been a little underwhelming so far in that regard. Expected a bit more.

I don't think switching the defensive pairs now would make much difference. All the defensemen were looking on quite a similar level vs. Norway , there was nobody standing out but also nobody completely weak. Even Prčík was not bad, at lest he was physical, keeping his game simple, which is perhaps what the coaches wanted from him. The game vs. the US will tell a lot about who is fit to face top notch opponents in what role, which may help regarding the quarterfinal lineup (assuming they will make it there which they should).

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Kulich is such a leader and good player. Sale, already knew about his talent and the ability to breakthrough. Exactly what the finns are missing in their players.

But man oh man, my favorite player of this whole tournament? Like last year, SAPOVALIV. So elegant and smart. Love that guy.

Like you guys mentioned in here, Bares. Just wow!

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Kulich is such a leader and good player. Sale, already knew about his talent and the ability to breakthrough. Exactly what the finns are missing in their players.

But man oh man, my favorite player of this whole tournament? Like last year, SAPOVALIV. So elegant and smart. Love that guy.
He's a beaut.. we think Jecho might be like him!

I don't like his finish but his game is beautiful and he will probably be near 20 again.. always leads the forwards in minutes. Coaches love him.

• Love
Reactions: Svedu

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Fantastic perfomace, 1st period was sloppy, but since the 2nd one it looked like a completely different team compared to the two previous games

No reason to fear anyone at this point if you can go toe to toe with this dream squad USA has brought over.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Looking at standings.. I think we are in the quarters.

Norways maximum is 3 points and we have head to head.

I also think we can't finish 2nd.

So we are 3 or 4 which means we have a 90 percent chance of Canada or Sweden.

Only combo I see is if Sweden loses in regulation to Canada and then loses again to Finland in regulation.

So bring on Canada or Sweden.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You guys have a good team again this year. Very capable of winning a quarterfinal (and maybe more)
Thanks.. all we wanted was improvement. First game disaster.. second game got better and third game we were ready to compete against a very good team.

Quarters will be like today!

Probably the most important is that Hrabal was great!

Secondary scoring was key too!

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Time to geek out a little!

Hamara led all D with 26 minutes and 31 shifts. He was awesome!

Cibulka and Alscher around 24 minutes too!

I'm not a huge Cech fan but he was at 20.

Galvas was sheltered under 14 minutes but was plus 2! He was noticeable.

Forwards were led by Sapo at 21 and then Kulich under 21. Sapousek and Sale with heavy minutes too as both were around 19.

One guy I didn't notice at all was Zidlicky. He was very pushy against Norway.

Hrabal stopped 30 out of 33 and was our POTG.

Koci got 0 minutes again. Hujer did get 3 minutes.

I thought we were very well coached and Augusta did a great job!

No complaints really. Bring on Canada or Sweden in a quarter final sure to ruin my nerves.haha

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Time to geek out a little!

Hamara led all D with 26 minutes and 31 shifts. He was awesome!

Cibulka and Alscher around 24 minutes too!

I'm not a huge Cech fan but he was at 20.

Galvas was sheltered under 14 minutes but was plus 2! He was noticeable.

Forwards were led by Sapo at 21 and then Kulich under 21. Sapousek and Sale with heavy minutes too as both were around 19.

One guy I didn't notice at all was Zidlicky. He was very pushy against Norway.

Hrabal stopped 30 out of 33 and was our POTG.

Koci got 0 minutes again. Hujer did get 3 minutes.

I thought we were very well coached and Augusta did a great job!

No complaints really. Bring on Canada or Sweden in a quarter final sure to ruin my nerves.haha

Yes, today's game was very well coached, unlike the opener vs. Slovakia. The team was very well prepared both tactically and mentally. Hopefully they will maintaing this trajectory of improvement.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, today's game was very well coached, unlike the opener vs. Slovakia. The team was very well prepared both tactically and mentally. Hopefully they will maintaing this trajectory of improvement.
Feels like Canada incoming at Quarters.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Which seems quite beatable this year. Imagine if somehow Czechia and Slovakia made it through quartefinals and then met again in semis :D
I would love it if we both made the Semi's.

It looks like if you win you get Finland and if you lose you get Germany.

I'd rest Gajan.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Stats geeking out incoming but here are my eye tests:

After the Slovakia debacle we thrashed Norway, Took the US to a 7 person shootout and beat the Swiss relatively easily. 3 good games in a row.

Today it looked like no one was that interested but we got what we needed (except Hrabal.lol)

Tier 1:

I've been really happy with Sale, Kulich, Sapo and Hamara. All have delivered what was expected of them.

Hrabal was a bit disapointing.

Tier 2:

It's been great.. we have the 3 big forwards but guys like Becher, Rymon, Melovsky and Sapousek are all hovering at .ppg Our 'secondary' scoring is great. Stancl and Bares have also looked good.

Cech has been fine. Alscher has been great. Our third pair is also great! Galvas and Prcik at limited minutes is a great third pair.

Only disapointment is Cibulka.. leading the Q in scoring and has nothing here. I can't remember a good or bad play. It's like he doesn't exist so far.

Coaching:

Happy with it. Think they've done the right adjustments to be honest. I like the lineups. I was opposed to splitting up Sale/Kulich but it seems to have worked. My big fear would be that they change anything going into the Quarters. No one is hurt and go with this exact lineup to start.

I do think they shoudl double up on Kulich/Sale at end of periods and third if it's close.

Prognosis:

Well, we have Sweden or Canada most likely. It's worst case scenario either way.

I'm happy with the overall team and how it's gone. Considering we lost Dvorak, Port and Jiricek.. it's gone very well.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
After a nice debut... I'd say Zidlicky has been invisible. To be honest the 4th line has been meh.. none of Reclich, Hujer, or Zidlicky have done much to my eye.

My eye test did get verified a little:

Galvas with 17 minutes and Stancl too! He's rising up.

Hamara with 25 today!

Cech with 4.. he may be out. Is it Koci time?

Reactions: Goodman68

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I was about to make yet another joke about Galvas playing well, but not producing enough to be a high round pick, but that's beating a dead horse by now.

No idea how the coaches watched him play and decided he's not good enough to be in right from the start. He has been arguably the best defenseman since put into the line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad