WJC: Czech U20 team

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
It’s great to see Czechia win bronze, you could tell how happy they all were. I’m happy for Kulich, after the criticism he got he absolutely dominated this game and showed why he’s one of the best players here. He’s one of my favourite prospects and WJC players I’ve ever watched, and I was waiting to see him dominate like this again. Nice to see Hamara score the bronze winning goal too, he’s been great. And of course, huge contributions from the undrafted CHL guys, no chance any of this would’ve been possible without them

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
I'm hearing that Sale was battling an injury throughout the tournament? I know he was out for some Kitchener games before the tournament as well.

Reactions: Czechboy

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I'm hearing that Sale was battling an injury throughout the tournament? I know he was out for some Kitchener games before the tournament as well.

Yes, he had some kind of injury, but I didn't hear specifically what kind during the broadcast.

Anyway, it was a great tournament in the end. Not as good a team, not as good coaching as last year, but it turned out well in the end. And in a few years, who will ask how we won the medal?

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
IMG_9501.jpeg

Jan Bechers Becherovka. Thank God they sell this in Canada!
Wonder if Ondrej is related to him? Haha

Anyways!! Na Zdraví guys!!!!
WE DID IT!!

Bronze for the boys!!! Yeeeehawaw!

Back to back medals!!!

Česko is back!!!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It’s great to see Czechia win bronze, you could tell how happy they all were. I’m happy for Kulich, after the criticism he got he absolutely dominated this game and showed why he’s one of the best players here. He’s one of my favourite prospects and WJC players I’ve ever watched, and I was waiting to see him dominate like this again. Nice to see Hamara score the bronze winning goal too, he’s been great. And of course, huge contributions from the undrafted CHL guys, no chance any of this would’ve been possible without them
Our undrafted 19 year olds were so key for us! That third line was a killer all tourney. Sapousek was doing great pre injury too!

I'm hoping, that with this junior success, that NHL clubs start taking more Czechs in the later rounds.

To my eye... I didn't see a big drop off in quality with guys like Becher, melovsky, rymon, cibulka and sapousek. It's almost shocking no one thought they weren't worth a 6th or 7th round pick.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Our undrafted 19 year olds were so key for us! That third line was a killer all tourney. Sapousek was doing great pre injury too!

I'm hoping, that with this junior success, that NHL clubs start taking more Czechs in the later rounds.

To my eye... I didn't see a big drop off in quality with guys like Becher, melovsky, rymon, cibulka and sapousek. It's almost shocking no one thought they weren't worth a 6th or 7th round pick.
It is clear that many of those players are good enough to go through the draft, but since there is currently skepticism about czech players, they prefer to choose players of other nationalities. Quite possibly that will start to change now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Cibulka traded to a playoff contender.. that's good news! Quick look at the standings and Cape Breton is pretty decent.. have a real promising goalie in net too :)

Sounds like they needed a PP guy so I hope Cibulka keeps racking up the points and gets himself drafted.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Sprynar (whom I have pencilled into line 2 with Stancl and Felcman next year) also moving to a better club.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Will Sale get moved too? Kitchener has an open import spot and they have a great coaching staff where I think he could excel.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah agreed. Well, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who was has been waiting that long. Makes me feel better haha!
I think it was 07.. maybe 06.
Nuervirth was in net. Vora and Frolik in attack. Maybe Hanzl?
Pretty ok team but it went seriously downhill after that.

Reactions: Swipes

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I think it was 07.. maybe 06.
Nuervirth was in net. Vora and Frolik in attack. Maybe Hanzl?
Pretty ok team but it went seriously downhill after that.
Sounds about right. I remember Voras and Frolik in 08 in Pardubice, I think? They were our only good players.

After that our 10-1 thrashing from Sweden happened ('09?). I did go very badly downhill from then.

I remember the bronze from 05 (when I started following the juniors), but I wasn't watching until 2008.

We've come a long way since then, but there's still some way to go.

Last edited:

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Sounds about right. I remember Voras and Frolik in 08 in Pardubice, I think? They were our only good players.

After that our 10-1 thrashing from Sweden happened ('09?). I did go very badly downhill from then.

I remember the bronze from 05 (when I started following the juniors), but I wasn't watching until 2008.

Yes I remember the 10-1 thrashing!!! That was real low point for Czech hockey. It’s been a lot of years of disappointment.
Again, finally nice to see some results. We’ve had a few good teams over the years but they always failed miserably.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Oh I remember that bronze.lol

That was the best Jr Squad in the 2000's.. insane team Canada. And we had to beat Kessel for Bronze. Not once did it occur to me we wouldn't medal again till 2023.lol

Reactions: Swipes

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Yes I remember the 10-1 thrashing!!! That was real low point for Czech hockey. It’s been a lot of years of disappointment.
Again, finally nice to see some results. We’ve had a few good teams over the years but they always failed miserably.
Yes, the lowest point of all. And playing to avoid relegation by beating Germany narrowly 4-3. Those days are hopefully behind us now and as you say, nice to finally see some good results.

Oh I remember that bronze.lol

That was the best Jr Squad in the 2000's.. insane team Canada. And we had to beat Kessel for Bronze. Not once did it occur to me we wouldn't medal again till 2023.lol
Nor me. That was a long long wait lol.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/236/IHM236B14_74_3_0.pdf

I went live to this one.lol Palat is the only guy that made the NHL. Frk get some games. So did Nestrasil. That's it. At the time I thought we were still good.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Link didn't work... this one.lol 6-3 for Sweden and we had a 17 year old Frk who was the 'next Jagr'. Man did things not turn out well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00