martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh cmon ffs already ... Jiricek out, Novotny out, Badinka not eligible .. damn

Why is it always the best ones who gets injured or cant play lol
Svozil is another name I keep not seeing.

Novotny would have been nice but I'm not sure how important he was. Next two years he is line 1 though.

Imagine jiricek and galvas??!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

More bad news.lol

Kos is out
Svozil is not invited
Jiricek is out obviously
Novotny is out

How does this keep happening...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Y'all think Matej Pekar has a chance to make the team as an underager? Has done well this season, earned to Coaches trust despite facing players up to six years older than him. Worked his way up from healthy scratch to 13th forward to 2nd line during Ambri's U20 elite playoff run and today pushed Tommaso De Luca off the topline to play with overager Schelldorfer and import Hedlund in the deciding game 5 of the semifinal today vs Zug. Tight checking, scoreless game after 40'. If Ambri wins, they get to play a back to back finalissima vs Biel next weekend. If they lose, they have to play Fribourg on Wednesday in the bronze medal game. So either way, Pekar could be joining the Czech camp in one weeks time.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Y'all think Matej Pekar has a chance to make the team as an underager? Has done well this season, earned to Coaches trust despite facing players up to six years older than him. Worked his way up from healthy scratch to 13th forward to 2nd line in Ambri's U20 elite playoff run and today pushed Tommaso De Luca off the topline to play with overager Schelldorfer and import Hedlund in the deciding game 5 of the semifinal today vs Zug. Tight checking, scoreless game after 40'. If Ambri wins, they get to play a back to back finalissima vs Biel next weekend. If they lose, they have to play Fribourg on Wednesday in the bronze medal game. So either way, Pekar could be joining the Czech team in one weeks time.
It is certainly a name that shows up a lot when we have our international breaks. With Novotny and Kos out... we need some offence too. He's currently small and young but he can definitely find the net.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No Svozil makes no sense. There must be something important we don't know why this is happening.
Czech hockey is always fighting with someone.lol Dvorak wouldn't go to U20, Zacha won't come to represent and now we got the younger Svozil not invited.lol Classic.

Wooren said it awhile ago.. our 4 best defenders in this group are Jiricek, Svozil, Galvas and Fibigr. Right now we only have one of them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Czech hockey is always fighting with someone.lol Dvorak wouldn't go to U20, Zacha won't come to represent and now we got the younger Svozil not invited.lol Classic.

Wooren said it awhile ago.. our 4 best defenders in this group are Jiricek, Svozil, Galvas and Fibigr. Right now we only have one of them.
Galvas-Jiricek
Svozil-Fibigr
Skok-Mrtka
Cerny

That could be the best Czechia U18 defense in forever. That would be better than almost all teams, which is almost always the area Czechia struggles compared to the top 5 nations. Too bad, but maybe we'll see them at the World Juniors at some point.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Galvas-Jiricek
Svozil-Fibigr
Skok-Mrtka
Cerny

That could be the best Czechia U18 defense in forever. That would be better than almost all teams, which is almost always the area Czechia struggles compared to the top 5 nations. Too bad, but maybe we'll see them at the World Juniors at some point.
So Skok is debatable in my opinion, I'm not sure if he'll even get nominated. But otherwise, it was certainly a strong line-up.

Reactions: pgfan66

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Shouldn't I see the name 'Mrtka' somewhere?
Isnt he also Trinec? Sitll in PO maybe? He definitely needs to be there

Kos also injured sucks, but kinda expected I was checking him out regularly at EP and havent seen him add a game for maybe last 2-3 months so I assumed he is injured.

Novotnny would probably already be major offensive thread .. He is crushing U20 already and had a couple of games in ELH also. Very big blow to our offense sadly.

Bad luck strikes us again lol, lets hope we can see them all together at some WJC in the future. Also with Jiricek and Badinka

I was really believing for us to go for medal maybe even final push, but with all those injures well ...

Semis would be a nice suprise

Which sucks because this is a realy strong year we have

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Sounds familiar to Swiss ears:laugh:
SIHF always trying hard to piss off players as well. Bichsel is only the latest example.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Who would you have in his place? I wasn't sure who to put for the 6 and 7 spots.
I'd say he's close to a lock personally... has that Koci and Cech vibe where he will always be on the squad despite not getting drafted. Solid worker, not flashy in anyway but reliable and coaches seem to like him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in Top 4 to be honest.

This doesn't mean I think he's the next Makar or anything like that, just, sometimes, Czechs have 'their guy' and will play their guy. If Fibigr shows up, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't paired with one of Fibigr or Galvas (sorry, don't know handedness). He's already played U17, U18 and Hlinka.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Who would you have in his place? I wasn't sure who to put for the 6 and 7 spots.
I don't really know, but I remember that at the last U18 championship it was clear after a few substitutions that he had a big problem keeping up at this level and he only played a few substitutions per match. Maybe he will be in the team eventually, but he is clearly not the level of a player like Jiříček or Galvas..

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't really know, but I remember that at the last U18 championship it was clear after a few substitutions that he had a big problem keeping up at this level and he only played a few substitutions per match. Maybe he will be in the team eventually, but he is clearly not the level of a player like Jiříček or Galvas..
I’m with you. Would be great to see a defense though that sees everyone drafted. Thats what the Canadians and Americans have. The gap to those nations is usually on defense, not goaltending or forwards. If for once Czechia have a competitive defense, they could win Gold. Maybe at the World Juniors in a year or two we’ll see that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I’m with you. Would be great to see a defense though that sees everyone drafted. Thats what the Canadians and Americans have. The gap to those nations is usually on defense, not goaltending or forwards. If for once Czechia have a competitive defense, they could win Gold. Maybe at the World Juniors in a year or two we’ll see that.

WJC18 is in April/May, NHL draft in June. Therefore, no drafted players at the WJC18 for any team.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Missing players in North America and playoffs. Was hoping to see David svozil and hope my conspiracy theory is false. Maybe he's still playing.

Obviously no jiricek which sucks. The U20 jiricek curse.

Haven't followed Czech hockey closely in recent years. I know in Finland they used to have camp rosters that were a chance to get a look at a wider group of players while some of the known commodities were not at the camp but would be on the team at the respective tournament.

Is that the case here?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our U20 silver squad now is up to 13 or 14 guys with NHL contracts. That's very good for our low standards. Some were drafted but a few were signed afterwards... and I think Tichachek will either be drafted or signed (Like Ivan, Marcel and Suchanek).

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Haven't followed Czech hockey closely in recent years. I know in Finland they used to have camp rosters that were a chance to get a look at a wider group of players while some of the known commodities were not at the camp but would be on the team at the respective tournament.

Is that the case here?
For sure, I think so. I'm assuming only half that roster makes the final cut but we are already losing players to injuries like Novotny and Kos. I can't use the CHL excuse because Canada certainly doesn't get to send all their best players.

Reactions: Goodman68

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
WJC18 is in April/May, NHL draft in June. Therefore, no drafted players at the WJC18 for any team.
Yeah, but I’m saying for one of these tournaments, whether WJC18 or WJC20. I think if they can put together a blueline that has all players that are drafted or will be then they can start competing for Gold.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Yes, I already wrote it here on another topic, the Czech Republic will be a real candidate for a medal at the junior championship in two years. In defense Jiříček, Galvas, Fibigr. Maybe Svozil (if the obvious problem with his persona is resolved). Most likely Mrtka, maybe even Kachlíř. In the attack, Jecho, Curran, Sikora, Kos and especially attackers from the year 2007 such as Benák, Pekař, Poletín, Pavlík, Záhejský, Novotný and others... I don't remember any other year since our two world championship titles when we were so strong on paper and they were already candidates for a medal. Yes, it's still two years away, but these two years look very strong and there are a lot of promising players by our standards. They just have to stay healthy, which is the biggest problem in recent years for Czech players in general.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Y'all think Matej Pekar has a chance to make the team as an underager? Has done well this season, earned to Coaches trust despite facing players up to six years older than him. Worked his way up from healthy scratch to 13th forward to 2nd line during Ambri's U20 elite playoff run and today pushed Tommaso De Luca off the topline to play with overager Schelldorfer and import Hedlund in the deciding game 5 of the semifinal today vs Zug. Tight checking, scoreless game after 40'. If Ambri wins, they get to play a back to back finalissima vs Biel next weekend. If they lose, they have to play Fribourg on Wednesday in the bronze medal game. So either way, Pekar could be joining the Czech camp in one weeks time.

Heartbreaking end to Pekar's club season. Last weekend his team lost game 5 of the semifinal series in the shootout after neither team was able to score in regulation or OT. Today, they lost the bronze medal game 3:4 due to a PP goal in OT.
I don't know. I like shootouts but I don't think they should be a thing in playoffs.

Pekar on the topline in both games and with an assist today. Dunno if he's gonna get invited but he should be available for WJC18 camp now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Heartbreaking end to Pekar's club season. Last weekend his team lost game 5 of the semifinal series in the shootout after neither team was able to score in regulation or OT. Today, they lost the bronze medal game 3:4 due to a PP goal in OT.
I don't know. I like shootouts but I don't think they should be a thing in playoffs.

Pekar on the topline in both games and with an assist today. Dunno if he's gonna get invited but he should be available for WJC18 camp now.
Thanks for the updates.. really appreciate them.

I would be shocked if he didn't get an invite but time will tell! With Novotny out it might be an opening for him as I assume they wouldn't bring a player like this to 'dump it in' and be on the 4th line.

Shootouts for me, are dependant on the situation.

Eg. in a short tournament where you have to clear the building out and bring in new teams (eg. 3 games a day).. I'm all for them. However, no gold medal game should go to a shootout as there are no games after that Gold game.

I don't have a specific answer for everything. I do like the 3 on 3 OT idea but I remember the Czech-Canada Hlinka final that went 19 minutes and was not very fun hockey. Somehow, they have found a way to make 3 on 3 boring too.lol

For non tournaments... just playoff games like Memorial Cup or Stanley Cup Playoffs or Extralaga plyaoffs.. let em play 5 on 5 till it's over.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad