U18: Czech U18 team 2024

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Saw this post today and I really like this poster and his takes.

Not sure if he is factoring in that some guys may not be available because CHL playoffs though?

Nonetheless, forwards look great. D is okay and goaltending looks great.

If Jiricek was healthy then I I would've said medal contender. I still think we have a good chance though but will stick with the goal being to make playoffs and win the quarter. I do like to see a team heavy on good forwards though.

Names that stand out to me:

Milota
Benak
Jecho
Curran
Novotny
Kos if healthy
I assume that is the M. Pekar that just keeps scoring for us in U17?
Fibigr
Galvas

That's a lot of good players that can make a difference in close games.

Titlbach fell off a cliff but he seems to be a great wing man for Benak! Might get himself back into draft talks but nowhere near round 1.lol

And.. again... where is Svozil? What did he do?lol

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

Saw this post today and I really like this poster and his takes.

Not sure if he is factoring in that some guys may not be available because CHL playoffs though?

Nonetheless, forwards look great. D is okay and goaltending looks great.

If Jiricek was healthy then I I would've said medal contender. I still think we have a good chance though but will stick with the goal being to make playoffs and win the quarter. I do like to see a team heavy on good forwards though.

Names that stand out to me:

Milota
Benak
Jecho
Curran
Novotny
Kos if healthy
I assume that is the M. Pekar that just keeps scoring for us in U17?
Fibigr
Galvas

That's a lot of good players that can make a difference in close games.

Titlbach fell off a cliff but he seems to be a great wing man for Benak! Might get himself back into draft talks but nowhere near round 1.lol

And.. again... where is Svozil? What did he do?lol

I have a very bad feeling about Svozil. I read a long time ago that Svozil has a problem with his work ethic, and at the time he was still playing in the national team. And now the coach is ignoring him, even though he is clearly more talented than many of the players who made the selection. He just seems to be a problem player..

Reactions: Czechboy

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
There are 4 very good defensemen in this class (Jiricek, Galvas, Svozil, Fibigr) and we might only see one of them on the actual squad, depending on how Fibigr's team does in the playoffs. That's just brutal.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Well so assuming Jiricek is 100% out it could look like this:

Tittlbach - Benak - Jecho
Kos - Curran - Novotny
Lisler - Sikora - Pekar
Poletin - Drancak - Pohludka - * Katolicky

Fibigr - Galvas
Mrtka - Svozil
Cerny - Chaloupka - * Zielinski

Milota - Marik - 3rd GK idk no one really good there and it doesnt matter much

For FW as replacements: Hradec, Kubiesa, Danicek
For D as replacements: Eichler, Skok, Hlinsky

If you ask why so many underagers, well I think its better to rather bring an above average underager then an average or below average player just because he is 17-18 and in the age group.

Hence why Cerny and Mrtka over Skok, Hlinsky or Eichler and why Novotny, Pekar or Poletin over Hradec, Kubiesa and Danicek

And why Katolicky? I think he can be even in the team, probably not gonna happen cause czech coaches are always scared of bold moves like this (of course dont know the rules exactly so idk if he is even eligible). But he already is physically better then most of the 17-18yrs old and he is showing that he has no problem playing at U20 level already. And of course he has the skill.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Kos - Curran - Novotny
Lisler - Sikora - Pekar

Fibigr - Galvas
Mrtka - Svozil

If you ask why so many underagers, well I think its better to rather bring an above average underager then an average or below average player just because he is 17-18 and in the age group.

Hence why Cerny and Mrtka over Skok, Hlinsky or Eichler and why Novotny, Pekar or Poletin over Hradec, Kubiesa and Danicek

And why Katolicky? I think he can be even in the team, probably not gonna happen cause czech coaches are always scared of bold moves like this (of course dont know the rules exactly so idk if he is even eligible). But he already is physically better then most of the 17-18yrs old and he is showing that he has no problem playing at U20 level already. And of course he has the skill.

Very good overview. What about Jiri Klima though? I know he had a difficult start in NA but he's been mostly excellent this year and he's on a hot streak right now. With good form, don't you think he could help the team?

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Very good overview. What about Jiri Klima though? I know he had a difficult start in NA but he's been mostly excellent this year and he's on a hot streak right now. With good form, don't you think he could help the team?
Definitely, kinda forgot about him, my bad. I dont know if Curran will be healthy, same with Kos .. dont know what with him havent seen him play a game for like last two months, so probably also injured idk.

So he can definitely replace one of them, maybe one of trio Lisler, Poletin, Pohludka also.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Klima had a sensational end to his season.. he had a great preseason, awful first half and second half. Hopefully the scouts see second half Klima more clearly as he was clearly acclimitizing. He should be on the team 100%

Reactions: czech and Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Kos - Curran - Novotny
Lisler - Sikora - Pekar

Fibigr - Galvas
Mrtka - Svozil

It's a great looking squad. Some older guys will make it over some of these flashier younger names. Definitely want Mrtka on the D. Don't think Svozil will get the call. There is some Zacha type fight going on IMO. Just like Dvorak didn't want to play for us either. Something weird going on.

I don't mind the idea of Katolicky as a 13th forward. Or Novak. They were both big boys.

Forgot we have Milota in net! That's great.

Now to wait and see who is actually nomianted so we can all be pissed off.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Kos - Curran - Novotny
Lisler - Sikora - Pekar

Fibigr - Galvas
Mrtka - Svozil

Katolicky is alllowed. Bedard played in this tournament at that age.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
It's a great looking squad. Some older guys will make it over some of these flashier younger names. Definitely want Mrtka on the D. Don't think Svozil will get the call. There is some Zacha type fight going on IMO. Just like Dvorak didn't want to play for us either. Something weird going on.

I don't mind the idea of Katolicky as a 13th forward. Or Novak. They were both big boys.

Forgot we have Milota in net! That's great.

Now to wait and see who is actually nomianted so we can all be pissed off.
Quite possible yes. But I really dont get the logic. You have two guys: one 16yrs old second 18yrs old. Both are playing at the same age level (lets say U20 league), the younger one is obviously better and more skilled, but you will take the older one just cause he is older lol.

Welcome to the czech coaches mentality.

Reactions: czech

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Quite possible yes. But I really dont get the logic. You have two guys: one 16yrs old second 18yrs old. Both are playing at the same age level (lets say U20 league), the younger one is obviously better and more skilled, but you will take the older one just cause he is older lol.

Welcome to the czech coaches mentality.
Definitely be prepared to be pissed off when skok makes it.

Indonget the logic though .. look at a guy like Cech or U20. Just a solid big body not making mistakes. You need a balance between your high flyers and bottom pair.

I'm not saying our coaches always get it right though... I can definitely think of frustrating choices.

Reactions: martygod12

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
That's a heck of a bar.lol.
I would definitely bring him in. Not at all saying he is Bedard level lol. But the guy is already netting a ppg at U20 level and he is freakin 191cm/85kg already. So why the hell not right?

But we will probably take some no name 18yrs old guy randomly from U20 just cause he is older

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Missing players in North America and playoffs. Was hoping to see David svozil and hope my conspiracy theory is false. Maybe he's still playing.

Obviously no jiricek which sucks. The U20 jiricek curse.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019

Missing players in North America and playoffs. Was hoping to see David svozil and hope my conspiracy theory is false. Maybe he's still playing.

Obviously no jiricek which sucks. The U20 jiricek curse.

Nice to see some of the underagers I mentioned there. Also some names I literally never heard of before lol. Hopefully those will be replaced by guys still in playoffs or in NA.

Reactions: czech and Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice to see some of the underagers I mentioned there. Also some names I literally never heard of before lol. Hopefully those will be replaced by guys still in playoffs or in NA.
About 5 names I'd like to see added to this list. I do have a relatively good feeling about this years team. I like the Hlinka squad too. And the U20. Just the actual NT in Prague has me the most scared!

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
About 5 names I'd like to see added to this list. I do have a relatively good feeling about this years team. I like the Hlinka squad too. And the U20. Just the actual NT in Prague has me the most scared!
That senior NT in Prague will be very weak it seems. Considering Canada and US will probably bring stronger teams this year, due to that super four tournament and OG coming. We definitely cant think of final participation, bronze maybe with some luck but it will depends on how strong Finns and Swedes lineups will be.

We sadly just dont have resources right now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That senior NT in Prague will be very weak it seems. Considering Canada and US will probably bring stronger teams this year, due to that super four tournament and OG coming. We definitely cant think of final participation, bronze maybe with some luck but it will depends on how strong Finns and Swedes lineups will be.

We sadly just dont have resources right now.
A year ago it looked like Krejci and Hertl were our 2Cs. Vrana would be cured. Frk would dominate NLA. Chlapik back to NHL. None of that happened.lol

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
A year ago it looked like Krejci and Hertl were our 2Cs. Vrana would be cured. Frk would dominate NLA. Chlapik back to NHL. None of that happened.lol
Sorry for offtopic but do you know what's wrong with Frk? Life getting in his way? In Bern, Tapola hated his compete level from the beginning and scratched Frk repeatedly despite him providing scoring when he actually got to play. Frk then moved on to Rapperswil and I think he was actually off to a good start when he kicked at Lawrence Pilut's throat (shortly after the death of Adam Johnson that was a particularly horrible move no matter if deliberate or not) and was fortunate to only get a five game suspension. After that, Frk never found his form again so I really wonder what's wrong with him. I don't think he's gonna find a spot on another NL team. He may get a chance elsewhere but you wonder how many more chances he's gonna get to play at the highest level. Just 30yo but his downfall in every way is concerning already.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sorry for offtopic but do you know what's wrong with Frk? Life getting in his way? In Bern, Tapola hated his compete level from the beginning and scratched Frk repeatedly despite him providing scoring when he actually got to play. Frk then moved on to Rapperswil and I think he was actually off to a good start when he kicked at Lawrence Pilut's throat (shortly after the death of Adam Johnson that was a particularly horrible move no matter if deliberate or not) and was fortunate to only get a five game suspension. After that, Frk never found his form again so I really wonder what's wrong with him. I don't think he's gonna find a spot on another NL team. He may get a chance elsewhere but you wonder how many more chances he's gonna get to play at the highest level. Just 30yo but his downfall in every way is concerning already.
Agree... He will be in Extraliga. Something is strange for sure. But, no, I don't know what disappointed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad