Cycling

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I just went out for my first ride Saturday(only 12K) but my front end is squeaking really bad and it made it annoying as heck. I listen to loud music and could still here the shocks or wtv it was squeaking....anyone have this happen before? I have a Schwin Mountain Bike that's all I know.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I just went out for my first ride Saturday(only 12K) but my front end is squeaking really bad and it made it annoying as heck. I listen to loud music and could still here the shocks or wtv it was squeaking....anyone have this happen before? I have a Schwin Mountain Bike that's all I know.

Turn the bike upside down and spin the front wheel. If there is noise, it is either your brakes (most likely) or hub bearings (less likely). If there is no noise there, could be your shock or headset bearings (the ones that allow you to steer). Wouldn't recommend riding with music. I use audio clues all the time to prepare for whatever is further down the trail. Less of an issue when climbing.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well some good and bad news...

Local bike shop finally did replace the old Cannondale that broke. With a nice frame to boot.

image_203.jpeg

I'm going to eventually sell it, and probably buy a Giant cyclocross bike. Or maybe a Surly Pacer.

Bad news... I was out for a ride last Friday, and there is this guy that "walks" 10+ dogs at a time, none of leashes. If they chase you, he does nothing to yell at them to stop. Never been an issue before, until last Friday. Came across 3-4 dogs in the middle of the street, slow down in hopes these aren't the ones that have chased me in the past. Turns out they may have been. One starts chasing me... but I had pretty much come to a complete stop, and was about to go uphill. Dog got a hold of my leg.

image_208.jpeg

Still had about 20 miles before I could get back to my car, and clean it up.

image_209.jpeg

The dog took a pretty good chunk out of me, and it's in a spot that I feel it every time I take a step... so running and cycling has been out of the question. Might try and swim tomorrow, but even water from the shower burns like hell.

Oh, and to make matters worse. Couldn't find the guy to file a police report, and can't figure out where exactly he lies. So I go to a minute clinic just to be safe since I can't get any records of the dogs. They say they can't do anything, and tell me I have to go to the ER. So I go to the ER and now I'm in the process of going through a series of shots to treat me as if the dog did have rabies. It's not likely that it did, but it's not really worth risking. When I went to the ER they gave me about 17 shots, and 12 of them making a circle around the puncture with a big ass needle. :rant:

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
That blows Ray. But its probably the safest bet even though the likelihood of rabies is tiny.

I finally landed a good job starting next week so I should finally be able to get my new bike in a few months and I'm moving to Santa Rosa, Ca one mile from Russian River Brewing:handclap:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Congrats on the new job man! That a cool place to live at?

Training for this 70.3 that is in about 7 weeks has been awful. Going to miss a week with this wound, and missed a week of training already when our dog had to have an eye removed. At this point I just want to not be miserable come race day, any expectations and goals are just being tossed in the trash.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just keep plugging away, Ray. You'll get there.

Training camp 2 done. 1.001 kilometers and 15.000 vertical altitude meters in nine days of biking.

Between my camp in April and the last run in this camp, I saw my to-the-top time on one climb drop from 45 minutes flat to 38:30. Feeling pretty good about my bike form now, just need to drop a couple of kilos still.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah... I'm feeling great in the pool and on the bike, and have 4-5 weekends I'll be able to practice on open water swimming leading up to race day. Was hoping to be able to run as of tomorrow, but calf from the dog bite is hurting more than I anticipate, especially after the tide yesterday.

What kind of distance and elevation were you logging per ride?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
We rode between 97 and 153 k in distance, and between 1300 and 2500 vertical meters per ride.

... Are you guys by any chance on Strava?

Last edited:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I'd add you guys on Strava but but rides are very wimpy compared to you guys :laugh:

Biking isn't my main source of exercise, just something I do on my off days from hockey, softball,soccer and ball hockey.

I've debated buying roller blades to make it more similar to skating but there's something really relaxing about cranking tunes and going into the nature trails as opposed to roller blading in traffic.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone have an issue with wrong data being sent from a Garmin device to Strava? Distance and elevation are usually right, but it usually says my average speed is a good 1-1.5mph slower than what the device says it was.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I have noticed, for running, that Strava is a bit more optimistic about paces and distances than other apps like Nike or Runtracker, usually about 10-20 s/km faster.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'd add you guys on Strava but but rides are very wimpy compared to you guys :laugh:

Biking isn't my main source of exercise, just something I do on my off days from hockey, softball,soccer and ball hockey.

I've debated buying roller blades to make it more similar to skating but there's something really relaxing about cranking tunes and going into the nature trails as opposed to roller blading in traffic.

Well, if I was doing all of those other activities I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be biking as much. I quit playing hockey once I got seriously into mountain biking. It was taking up too much time and my skills were declining with the reduced number of games. It's nice to go for a ride after work and be out of the shower by 6pm instead of 1:30am

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Ray and Imp I added you guys on Strava if you're wondering who that guy is.

I haven't been very active at all lately though. Still adjusting to a new city and a new job, and I need to get off my ass more after work and put in some work.

I did put in a 20 mile day hike though which was nice to know I can still bust out a 20 miler without doing much training.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I strongly recommend the Kinetic Rock n Roll smart trainer w/ In Ride. They have an app so you can transmit your speed and wattage (yes, wattage) from the In Ride to your phone in real time. The app has the whole Sufferfest catalog, so you can push yourself to the limit with those videos and get a killer workout in 45-60 minutes.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ray and Imp I added you guys on Strava if you're wondering who that guy is.

I haven't been very active at all lately though. Still adjusting to a new city and a new job, and I need to get off my ass more after work and put in some work.

I did put in a 20 mile day hike though which was nice to know I can still bust out a 20 miler without doing much training.

Thanks for clearing that up - I was wondering...

I'm turning up the dial in the next few weeks..

Off-site workshop with work tomorrow, where I'm biking to and fro, weather permitting (just under 90 miles in total).

Half Ironman next weekend

Relay (bike) Half Ironman the weekend after that

The day after the relay, we drive to France to train in the mountains, leading up to La Marmotte (110 miles, 5000+ meters of climbing) on Saturday the 2nd of July.

THEN, I'll take a wee break.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Imp, good luck with the training. That sounds like an awesome ****ing time. :yo: And good luck with the race!

A new spin studio opened across from where we live. I've been trying to get my wife into cycling shortly after I got into it, but unsuccessfully. But she's been obsessed with the spin studio, so I agreed to take a class in the hopes to eventually get her into cycling.

Anyways, not so humble brag time. Class was 50 minutes long.

aVWfxjl.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad