Cycling

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm 180 and normally ride110 in the back and 105 up front. When I first got into cycling I was doing 120 both in front and back, and was getting flats all the time.

I had to stop at a bike shop today, and asked the guys there what they thought about it and they said riding at 135/130 on those wheels would be insane.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Oooo a cycling thread. I've never noticed this before. Im'a keep my eye on this :)

An avid cyclist here. This past summer was a bit of an off year with a back injury but this winter, the trainer is gonna get a workout.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Oooo a cycling thread. I've never noticed this before. Im'a keep my eye on this :)

An avid cyclist here. This past summer was a bit of an off year with a back injury but this winter, the trainer is gonna get a workout.

What kind of trainer do you have?

Mind sharing what part of Canada you get to ride in as well?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
What kind of trainer do you have?

Mind sharing what part of Canada you get to ride in as well?

I'm not sure of the brand but it's a generic magnetic trainer I got off amazon. Was about .. $100 I'd say. I've had it for a few years and put a lot of mileage on it and it's great.

Not at all. I'm about an hour east of ottawa, out in the country. So lots of rural roads and small highways. It's actually quite nice. Lots of fields and rolling hills.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Finally got back to some climbing today after having spent the last few weeks on flatter routes and trying to build some speed. Good ride. :yo:

27 miles
1700+ feet of climbing
avg speed a hair over 18mph

:yo:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess tubular tires have different pressure requirements than regular tubes? I weigh 165 and run the front/rear at 75/80, max.

Many prefer lower pressure for comfort - tubular allow that.

75/80 sounds extremely low to me.

I haven´t seen that Zipp-table before, but that is basically spot on for me. When riding races I´m at 140+. For training sessions I´m usually around 130. My weight is 220 though (6ft6 so..).

I see the point that with low weight riders you might actually increase rolling resistance when the pressure is too high, but even if you are far lighter than me 75/80 sounds odd. Not a single friend I´m riding with would be below 100 on a road bike.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm 180 and normally ride110 in the back and 105 up front. When I first got into cycling I was doing 120 both in front and back, and was getting flats all the time.

I had to stop at a bike shop today, and asked the guys there what they thought about it and they said riding at 135/130 on those wheels would be insane.

Sounds odd to me. Flats are more often caused due to too low pressure than too high. I have never blown out a tire with a 120 - not even close.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Sounds odd to me. Flats are more often caused due too low pressure than too high. I have never blown out a tire with a 120 - not even close.

Now that I'm not training for anything and don't have to worry about a ride being interrupted by a flat, I'm going to mess around with riding at a higher level. The roads I ride in general are pretty smooth.

On an unrelated note, the wife was asking me about which trainers I have looked into in the past. Fingers crossed that that was her doing some Christmas scouting. :hyper:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Many prefer lower pressure for comfort - tubular allow that.

75/80 sounds extremely low to me.

I haven´t seen that Zipp-table before, but that is basically spot on for me. When riding races I´m at 140+. For training sessions I´m usually around 130. My weight is 220 though (6ft6 so..).

I see the point that with low weight riders you might actually increase rolling resistance when the pressure is too high, but even if you are far lighter than me 75/80 sounds odd. Not a single friend I´m riding with would be below 100 on a road bike.

I should have prefaced that I use 28cc tires. The relative rolling resistance for a 28cc @ 80 psi is the same as 23cc @ 109 psi. Wider tires deform less (more air volume) and have a shorter contact patch than skinnier tires.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.com%2Frcuk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F07%2Funnamed.gif

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/maintenance/the-importance-of-tyre-pressure.html

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Makes it slightly more understandable, but why such low pressure still? Comfort?

Can´t remember where I found it, but read something similar about tire width. Went from 23mm to 25mm myself this season - so much nicer and at the speed I´m racing at 33-38km/h resistance is lower (more wind, but less rolling). Not sure if I ever go 28, but who knows. So odd that 23mm is "standard". So few amateurs will ride fast enough where the lower wind resistance makes up for the higher rolling resistance - and it is less comfortable (loss loss situation).

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Makes it slightly more understandable, but why such low pressure still? Comfort?

Can´t remember where I found it, but read something similar about tire width. Went from 23mm to 25mm myself this season - so much nicer and at the speed I´m racing at 33-38km/h resistance is lower (more wind, but less rolling). Not sure if I ever go 28, but who knows. So odd that 23mm is "standard". So few amateurs will ride fast enough where the lower wind resistance makes up for the higher rolling resistance - and it is less comfortable (loss loss situation).
Vertical deflection is decreased. Higher pressures don't absorb the imprint of the road as lower pressures. There is a tipping point of course. But for most of you, everyone should be on 25mm tires running it between 90psi to 100psi max.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Vertical deflection is decreased. Higher pressures don't absorb the imprint of the road as lower pressures. There is a tipping point of course. But for most of you, everyone should be on 25mm tires running it between 90psi to 100psi max.

Based on what?

Not saying you are wrong, but seems like a oddly specific recommendation - especially since there isn´t much research available. Graph in that earlier post clearly shows resistance go down from 100 to 123. Granted it doesn´t say much about the smoothness of the surface, but quite a*gap from 123 (and it is still trending down) to 90-100.

aadi*

Dec 1, 2015
Cycling is one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine because it's also a form of transport. Cycling also:
saves you money
gets you fit
helps the environment
It's a low-impact type of exercise, so it's easier on your joints than running or other high-impact aerobic activities. But it still helps you get into shape.
The best way to build your cardiovascular fitness on the bike is to ride for at least 150 minutes every week. For example, you could cycle to work a few days a week, or do a couple of shorter rides during the week with a longer ride at the weekend. You'll soon feel the benefits.
If you're just getting started, check out our guide to cycling for beginners.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Cycling is one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine because it's also a form of transport. Cycling also:
saves you money
gets you fit
helps the environment
It's a low-impact type of exercise, so it's easier on your joints than running or other high-impact aerobic activities. But it still helps you get into shape.
The best way to build your cardiovascular fitness on the bike is to ride for at least 150 minutes every week. For example, you could cycle to work a few days a week, or do a couple of shorter rides during the week with a longer ride at the weekend. You'll soon feel the benefits.
If you're just getting started, check out our guide to cycling for beginners.

I was biking everyday for the last 6 months, my legs are more defined and my heart doesn't hurt as much. Crappy weather has prevented me from doing it more so hopefully by the spring I'll be doing it more

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I've been doing all of my late fall and winter riding on my indoor bike trainer. I'm on the bike for about an hour everyday after work. Near the end of October I began an aggressive offseason program of interval training every other day with an easy recovery ride in-between on the off days. The interval workouts are from the Sufferfest video library. Starting with longer (8-15) minute intervals for the first 4 weeks and working my way into shorter intervals in the VO2 Max zone, Anaerobic zone and finally sprinting over the course of 11 weeks. I raised my functional threshold power (FTP) by 11% over the first 11 weeks. I'm redoing the program and hope to get an additional 7% increase by the end of March. Setting myself up for what I hope to be a very competitive racing season this year.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I've been doing all of my late fall and winter riding on my indoor bike trainer. I'm on the bike for about an hour everyday after work. Near the end of October I began an aggressive offseason program of interval training every other day with an easy recovery ride in-between on the off days. The interval workouts are from the Sufferfest video library. Starting with longer (8-15) minute intervals for the first 4 weeks and working my way into shorter intervals in the VO2 Max zone, Anaerobic zone and finally sprinting over the course of 11 weeks. I raised my functional threshold power (FTP) by 11% over the first 11 weeks. I'm redoing the program and hope to get an additional 7% increase by the end of March. Setting myself up for what I hope to be a very competitive racing season this year.

Stop. Just stop man. You are making ALL of us look bad lol

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
What kind of trainer do you use again?

Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll with the InRide smart meter. They have a free app to use that has the Sufferfest library (just the workouts, not the videos) and I sync it with the Sufferfest videos on my computer. There are a lot of good indoor options these days, but Sufferfest still seems like the best to me in terms of results.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll with the InRide smart meter. They have a free app to use that has the Sufferfest library (just the workouts, not the videos) and I sync it with the Sufferfest videos on my computer. There are a lot of good indoor options these days, but Sufferfest still seems like the best to me in terms of results.

I just use a regular magnetic trainer with sufferfest on my pc (with a 27" monitor .. nerd). Those 'fest videos are freaking awesome. Well produced with some awesome footage and what a workout. holy crap. I work harder on those than i do on an outdoor ride.

Thanks, I think? There are lots of impressive people in this forum though. Some of the stronger guys haven't been posting much lately.

Its a compliment for sure dude :) And was definitely in jest.

I cant wait until I get to a point where I'm comfortable with what im doing. Its not a comparison to what others are doing ... really. But more the mentality of "if these 20 guys can do it, why cant I?" I flip flop between getting down on myself (depression) and working harder to get there.

So one day, you'll post something and think "jesus, I'll never be able to do that." then the next Im all "f this guy. Im gonna beat his lift."

Its a bizarre range of emotions :P

Was 3rd leg day of my program since ive been back. this was the first time ive finished a workout that has been assigned to me. WOOO!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I just use a regular magnetic trainer with sufferfest on my pc (with a 27" monitor .. nerd). Those 'fest videos are freaking awesome. Well produced with some awesome footage and what a workout. holy crap. I work harder on those than i do on an outdoor ride.

Do you use virtual power or any other kind of active feedback? Honestly, having power feedback and doing the workouts at the prescribed power relative to one's FTP is the biggest game changer there is. The whole workout becomes a series of hitting short and long-term goals. Beautiful, beautiful suffering!

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Do you use virtual power or any other kind of active feedback? Honestly, having power feedback and doing the workouts at the prescribed power relative to one's FTP is the biggest game changer there is. The whole workout becomes a series of hitting short and long-term goals. Beautiful, beautiful suffering!

Sadly, no. I haven't gotten that far into it as yet.

Can you offer some suggestions? Tnh, Ive never actually looked into it. I just got a trainer, got some sufferfest videos (some from a friend, some i bought) and just did 'em and tried to ride as hard as I could.

I usually take a few months off at the end of the season (october or so) and then hop back on the trainer in February. Couple of weeks of just easy spinning. Then mid-late Feb, start with the videos and work my way up to when I bring the bike outside the first time whence the snow and salt are gone.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Sadly, no. I haven't gotten that far into it as yet.

Can you offer some suggestions? Tnh, Ive never actually looked into it. I just got a trainer, got some sufferfest videos (some from a friend, some i bought) and just did 'em and tried to ride as hard as I could.

I usually take a few months off at the end of the season (october or so) and then hop back on the trainer in February. Couple of weeks of just easy spinning. Then mid-late Feb, start with the videos and work my way up to when I bring the bike outside the first time whence the snow and salt are gone.

You can certainly get a great workout using any trainer and workout video. Without active feedback though, you are limited to your own perception of how hard you are working. Even a low-cost speed sensor would make a huge difference.

A fluid trainer offers massive benefits over a magnetic trainer. Mag trainers have a linear power curve, which doesn't correlate with the exponential power curve one experiences in the real world. On top of that, unlike the real world, there is very little momentum you can carry on a mag trainer. Once you stop pedaling, the wheel comes to a very abrupt stop. In the real world you can coast for a few seconds and lose only a percentage of your kinetic energy in the wheel.

A real power meter is very expensive, but there are programs out there that have the measured power curve of a specific trainer built into the program. The program just needs to know the speed of the wheel and can translate that into "virtual power". The trainer I have came with a sensor and their own program, so the "virtual power" that it shows is very, very close to the actual power that I use. While the accuracy isn't necessarily the most important thing, since they support their own program, I don't have to pay $10/month for a 3rd party program that reads virtual power. Then again, Sufferfest has basically gone app only and most of the videos are available only with a subscription. I would definitely do that if I didn't have a trainer with its own free app and already own over half of their library (before they essentially went app-only).

In summary:
1. Kurt Kinetic "smart trainer", so you have an excellent trainer with a lifetime warranty and an app to avoid the $10/month charge. I personally like the Rock n Roll version, but the road machine would be fine.
2. If you don't already own a lot of Sufferfest videos, any "smart trainer" with the $10/month Sufferfest app.
3. Do both. Next winter I may subscribe for a few months to get access to workouts I haven't done yet. Over the summer, when I only use my trainer on bad weather days, I can use the free Kinetic app and whatever videos I already own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->