Cycling

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So MRI results showed no tears anywhere. Just the baker cyst and Patellar Tendinosis.

Well that's good.

Speaking of injuries. Broke my pinky toe yesterday. :rant:

Oh and I'm suppose to start training for the 70.3 in Puerto Rico next Monday. :rant: :rant:

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Well that's good.

Speaking of injuries. Broke my pinky toe yesterday. :rant:

Oh and I'm suppose to start training for the 70.3 in Puerto Rico next Monday. :rant: :rant:

Kinda I guess but Tendonosis sounds more or less like permanent Tendonitis. Sounds like chronic pain to me. We'll see what ortho and physical therapy says.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Kinda I guess but Tendonosis sounds more or less like permanent Tendonitis. Sounds like chronic pain to me. We'll see what ortho and physical therapy says.

Any idea how much stretching and foam rolling would do to prevent outbursts?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did my first ever FTW (same thing as FTP, only indoor).

It's a 20-minute all-out test, keeping RPM around 90. I managed an average of 284 watts, which is reasonable, considering I've been laid up for the last three days with a cold, and still have a bit of a sniffle. I was hoping for closer to 300, but we'll see.

Incidentally, I saw afterwards that my HR had peaked at 195. I though my max was 190...

But my maximum output was 312w, so at least it was a very steady effort. Pretty knackered afterwards though.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
**** you Cannondale you **** bike making pieces of **** *******s.

So after this initially happened, LBS originally said all they could do was offer me a replacement frame for $800, and I'd have to pay another $200 on top of that for a few replacement parts and to build the new bike. I never even responded to that voicemail, I was so pissed.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I get a random voicemail out of the blue saying the bike shop is just going to buy me a new bike. :yo:

The guy I called back wasn't entirely sure which bike, since the manager was out for the day... but I'd imagine it will be the same model, just a different year. When they replaced the 2014 I originally bought, neither the shop nor Cannondale had that model in stock in my size... so I got the one in the pic as a replacement.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I've managed to borrow my Dad's 1991 Serotta Colorado ii to get some riding in since I'm taking a few weeks off of running for a sore foot and I don't have the money to put into a nice bike for myself yet. It is so gloriously 90's, but it was a really nice bike back in the day. That Pink to Orange fade paint job tho:laugh:. (Note:This isn't the actual bike but I'm riding the same one with all original parts just too lazy to take a picture)

10786389024_6942354587_b.jpg

So you'll end up having a new Cannondale and the Giant that you bought Ray? Nice to have options!

Last edited:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good on them, Ray :)

I managed to get my FTP-20 up to 291w, but I've had a flu for almost two weeks since, so who knows where I am now.

Anyway, training camp in Mallorca is five weeks away, so I need to begin riding outdoors more. Weather looks pretty nasty still, but there's a chance of a bikeday or two this coming week.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've managed to borrow my Dad's 1991 Serotta Colorado ii to get some riding in since I'm taking a few weeks off of running for a sore foot and I don't have the money to put into a nice bike for myself yet. It is so gloriously 90's, but it was a really nice bike back in the day. That Pink to Orange fade paint job tho:laugh:. (Note:This isn't the actual bike but I'm riding the same one with all original parts just too lazy to take a picture)

10786389024_6942354587_b.jpg

So you'll end up having a new Cannondale and the Giant that you bought Ray? Nice to have options!

Love the look of that bike.

And yeah... although technically he didn't say what they are buying me, because it's not a replacement frame. I could be reading too much into his verbiage.... but he's mentioned a replacement frame 20+ times, but this time he said "we're just going to buy you a new bike." I'm assuming it's the same bike, as to me it would make any sense to give me a replacement that's a completely different bike... but you never know.

But assuming it's the same model as before, or even something comparable. The plan is to sell it, and then buy a Giant TCX so I can have something I'll feel a lot less guilty riding to and from work. Plus I've always wanted a cyclocross bike. The roads I ride to and from on just make me cringe non-stop with all the pot holes.

Just wish they frame was a bit more appealing. It's not horrible, but if I were going just off looks it'd be a good bit down on the list.

TCX-SLR-2-Black-White.jpg

Good on them, Ray :)

I managed to get my FTP-20 up to 291w, but I've had a flu for almost two weeks since, so who knows where I am now.

Anyway, training camp in Mallorca is five weeks away, so I need to begin riding outdoors more. Weather looks pretty nasty still, but there's a chance of a bikeday or two this coming week.

I really need to get into some testing/training like that. I have a place that's suppose to be amazing, and it's reasonably priced, AND it's not far from home... But I've never gone.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Love the look of that bike.

It's definitely much nicer than the hard tail mountain bike I was riding on. I put shimano pedals on it and got myself some shoes that I can transfer over to my bike once I'm able to buy it. I immediately went from averaging around 15 mph to 17 mph on my 10 mile loop with about 500 foot up and down including traffic lights transferring to the Serotta and it's still kind of a hog, I weighed it and it was 24 lbs. Mostly It's leg strength I still need to build and about 20-25 pounds left to lose which should help me get a little faster but the carbon bikes I'm looking at are probably around 16-17 lb.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Got a pic of the replacement frame they'll eventually be sending me. Apparently they don't have any in my size at the moment.

arl2Md52-j2MHQHrIr832ErHKyHhkOiW8gDzixyY6eL6uuK940uFvLmg49nduFwuudk1PtIE3cLjIjLXeIscg5mI1Nlh3M9AeOW56ykeOAd4jOtwLnIuDP8cmbj3o7JKaW_2zXlgSoHX27GHCh8VmUmdwcPX83rfAFrmVgWj87sSzvrijPKVArcKTNj0e7PmlVKP0DQeCjUNXbMxVoLmf2I=s0-d-e1-ft

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I originally bought just a regular SuperSix Evo. They replaced that with the HiMod edition, which also broke, and are replacing it again with the same thing.

Wonder what I could sell it for... Love my Giant, and don't see the need for two bikes like that, and want more of a commuter.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
TWO failed Cannondale frames? Yowza. But I guess one failure was from the deraileur coming round on the drop?

My outdoor season is just getting under way. Managed 270 kilometers last week, and will make it to about 200 this week. Going to my parents' on Thursday to pick up my Canyon.

Headed to Mallorca for training camp in the 2nd week of April, so I've got to build a bit of endurance.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
One was just a faulty frame, other was shoddy work by the mechanic from what I'm told... but yeah. 2.... Woof. Just want to sell it for enough to buy a new Giant cyclocross bike.

Nice! I racked up about 140 miles myself (220 kilometers) although I admittedly didn't challenge myself at all elevation wise. My endurance is great these days, but I gotta start to get more hills in. Did a 70 mile (112 K) ride last Saturday and crushed it... but again, not a ton of elevation.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
Glad I found this thread. I need some advice on an upcoming bike purchase. A few years back I purchased a specialized hardrock for rides with the wife. I really didn't know much about bikes and was at the mercy of the salesmen. We ride once or twice a week usually just around the neighborhood, but, from time to time we take a trip to a mtn bike trail not too far from our home. Over the course of the last few years we've moved a couple of times and unfortunately my bike was damaged, bent a sprocket somehow, damaged a couple of spokes, etc. So the bike isn't riding as good as it once was. So lately I've been really weighing out my options. With all the new bikes out there, maybe instead of dropping a few hundred in repairs on a bike that only cost me $600 to start with, I should just upgrade to a newer bike.

So I've been weighing my options and trying to figure out what kind of bike I actually want. I primarily ride on the streets, but do enjoy the occasional off road trail. I was thinking maybe a new dual sport bike would suit my needs. I went to a trek dealer and was looking at one of their ds models. I was sold on it until I stopped into another bike shop and asked what there ds equivalent was. After a long discussion about dual sport/hybrid bikes, I was basically informed that they really aren't that great. That while they make sense on paper, realisticly they are just mediocre road bikes with mediocre off road capabilities. The guy more or less advised me to steer away from them in any brand. He also told me that I would, given my needs, benefit more from a bike like the rockhopper or the equivalent in another brand. Obviously he was pushing specialized, as that is what they sell. But he did say any hardtail mountain bike with lockout forks would help with my comfort on the pavement and still allow me to go on the occasional off road trail or small jumps. My budget is under 1k, as I'm not looking to compete or anything, just a weekend warrior. So what do you guys think, any advice would be appreciated.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't really know anything about mountain bikes either.

But there is another member here who runs a bike shop in Toronto, yubbers, He hasn't been around in a few days, and I actually tried to PM him earlier but of course his inbox is full... next time I see him around I can ask him to message you if you'd like.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
I don't really know anything about mountain bikes either.

But there is another member here who runs a bike shop in Toronto, yubbers, He hasn't been around in a few days, and I actually tried to PM him earlier but of course his inbox is full... next time I see him around I can ask him to message you if you'd like.

That would be much appreciated! Thanks for the replies.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Glad I found this thread. I need some advice on an upcoming bike purchase. A few years back I purchased a specialized hardrock for rides with the wife. I really didn't know much about bikes and was at the mercy of the salesmen. We ride once or twice a week usually just around the neighborhood, but, from time to time we take a trip to a mtn bike trail not too far from our home. Over the course of the last few years we've moved a couple of times and unfortunately my bike was damaged, bent a sprocket somehow, damaged a couple of spokes, etc. So the bike isn't riding as good as it once was. So lately I've been really weighing out my options. With all the new bikes out there, maybe instead of dropping a few hundred in repairs on a bike that only cost me $600 to start with, I should just upgrade to a newer bike.

So I've been weighing my options and trying to figure out what kind of bike I actually want. I primarily ride on the streets, but do enjoy the occasional off road trail. I was thinking maybe a new dual sport bike would suit my needs. I went to a trek dealer and was looking at one of their ds models. I was sold on it until I stopped into another bike shop and asked what there ds equivalent was. After a long discussion about dual sport/hybrid bikes, I was basically informed that they really aren't that great. That while they make sense on paper, realisticly they are just mediocre road bikes with mediocre off road capabilities. The guy more or less advised me to steer away from them in any brand. He also told me that I would, given my needs, benefit more from a bike like the rockhopper or the equivalent in another brand. Obviously he was pushing specialized, as that is what they sell. But he did say any hardtail mountain bike with lockout forks would help with my comfort on the pavement and still allow me to go on the occasional off road trail or small jumps. My budget is under 1k, as I'm not looking to compete or anything, just a weekend warrior. So what do you guys think, any advice would be appreciated.

Surly Crosscheck sounds like exactly what you need. It's a cyclocross bike, designed for less rigorous offroading than a MTB but handles well on the road and on gravel, hardback, light mud, etc. If I was to own only one bike the rest of my life, this would be it, as I take it on long weekend rides with the wife and ride twisty singletrack, all with the same setup.

You can find a sale or used model for under 1,000 easy.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Looking into getting a commuter bike, and from the last page or so, I take it I should stay away from Cannondale and Trek. I have a Giant Boulder that I have been relatively happy with, are their road bikes any good?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ray has been obscenely unlucky - Cannondale has a fair reputation. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with any major manufacturer.

It comes down to value, where at least over here, Trek and Specialized are priced up due to the merits of the pros that rode them. And then of course there are the Italians...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Looking into getting a commuter bike, and from the last page or so, I take it I should stay away from Cannondale and Trek. I have a Giant Boulder that I have been relatively happy with, are their road bikes any good?

I don't think you could really go wrong with most Treks, but I'm far from an expert on the subject especially when comparing different brands. You'll likely pay a bit more for the name, but I rarely if ever hear anyone say they're disappointed with the bike they bought from Trek.

Specialized bikes just look ugly as **** to me, and I'd go out of my way to not buy one if I could. :laugh:

Ray has been obscenely unlucky - Cannondale has a fair reputation. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with any major manufacturer.

It comes down to value, where at least over here, Trek and Specialized are priced up due to the merits of the pros that rode them. And then of course there are the Italians...

Not sure if my buddy and the guy who hooked me up with the Giant is just being a homer and biased since he works there... but he's told me that Cannondale isn't exactly known for the most durable frames, or best customer service if you have to deal with them.

Although to be fair, I have not had an issue with their customer service, but my bike shop has dealt with them for me.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just a brief update.

Had my first training camp in Mallorca in early April. Day one was all torrential rain, but after that, it was sunny and about 20 degrees Celsius. Beautiful weather for cycling. I got in just around 600 km in that week, despite having repeated bike trouble (gear drop broke in the suitcase on the way down, and front derailleur kept floating, leaving me stuck on the small ring).

Next camp starts tomorrow morning. 10 days, in which, weather permitting, we’ll hit 1000 km. My legs are really coming along now – we had a 140 km ride on Sunday, where I felt really good, and strong, throughout, despite a rather ambitious pace.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My part came in and I finished rebuilding my drivetrain yesterday. New bottom bracket, chainring, cassette and chain. I also decided to get into wheel building and am building up a set of asymmetric carbon rims (35/29 od/id) with Hope Pro 4 hubs. Wishing to have them built by the end of this weekend, as my truing stand should arrive on Friday.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00