Cycling

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I was actually looking at those on their website last night.

Ray, warm gloves are definitely on the list.

Thanks guys.

Get them. I wore them running this morning, it was -18, -26 with wind chill, and I would say that is the lower limit for them. They should be more than enough for Vancouver winter.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Either the drop failed (that would be Cannondale's fault), or the chain got stuck wrenching the deraileur around (that's be Shimano, or down to lack of maintenance).

Or, I suppose, a crash.

Either way: D'oh.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Either the drop failed (that would be Cannondale's fault), or the chain got stuck wrenching the deraileur around (that's be Shimano, or down to lack of maintenance).

Or, I suppose, a crash.

Either way: D'oh.

None of the mechanics that took it apart have confirmed, but I've been told by some reliable people that theirs 99% sure the drop failed.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Claim filed denied, as expected. Was hoping the bike shop would make it right, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Cost of a replacement frame is going to wind up being around $1100.

Not even going to go that route because **** that bike shop. They've been nothing but a headache since I got the bike.

This sucks so much. Am buying a new car next weekend, so really don't have any extra funds to put into a decent bike at the moment, so I don't know what the **** I'm going to do. Oh and training for the 70.3 in Puerto Rico was suppose to start last Tuesday.

:cry: :rant:

D Fresh

I'm Back Baby!
Sep 11, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You're selling the Mini?

I still have a snap somewhere in the external of Omar being a clown in it.

Real shame about your bike sir =(

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You're selling the Mini?

I still have a snap somewhere in the external of Omar being a clown in it.

Real shame about your bike sir =(

The Mini is dead, Dougie. Sold it for a whopping $3,000. Was actually happy to get that for it with the transmission repairs it needs.

And yes. Yes it is. Should be buying a new car tonight, and can then figure out how to buy a new bike. :nod:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Man, Ray, that sucks big time. Feel bad for you.

In other news, I fell for a Black Friday deal, and today I just picked up my Garmin Edge 520. We'll see when I get a ride in with it. The weather's pretty nasty here right now - not very cold, but rainy and windy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Going to leave them as many bad, but professional, reviews as possible. **** those guys. They were a nightmare from the day I bought that bike.

I've got the 510 and love it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
New bike will be here tomorrow morning. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

(pic of actual bike I'm getting)

And HUGE HUGE HUGE thank you to yubbers, who never posts in here, for the big time hookup from the bike shop he works at. Words could not express how thankful I am for the favor he did me.

image_549.jpg

image_547.jpg

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That's sexy. :yo:

I've still got my heart set on the Cervelo S3 but haven't been able to buy it yet.

I'd ask if you've made any progress with you recovery, but if I remember correctly there really isn't anything you can do between now and when you see the doc in January or something... right?

S3 is a great looking bike.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Since I want to do more out of saddle training this offseason and use a carbon frame bike on the trainer, I decided to get the Kurt Kinetic 2.0 Rock n Roll Smart trainer. I also found a place online where I got 20% off and that made the decision much easier. First ride felt amazing. The little bit of sway that it allows goes a long way towards a more realistic feel. Now I can really drop the hammer out of saddle without fear.

It also came with the InRide pod that transmits data to the Kinetic app. It's in beta form for Android right now, but it records and displays the power output for you. From what I've seen it has been tested to be within 2% accuracy of an actual power meter. I still plan on subscribing to TrainerRoad for a few months this offseason, but now I'll at least have access to my power numbers with no additional cost at any time in the year! Will be good for interval sprints.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I'd ask if you've made any progress with you recovery, but if I remember correctly there really isn't anything you can do between now and when you see the doc in January or something... right?

S3 is a great looking bike.

I managed to get an MRI scheduled from my normal doctor just today prior to the orthopedic doctor appt in early jan so at least that doc will be able to look at the MRI already. So hopefully I'll get the MRI done in the next week or two and that should tell the whole picture.

I've tried to do some light cardio every other day lately on alternate days from my lifting days. Staying in the aerobic zone and cycling and very slow jogging where I try to not place a lot of impact on the knee. I'm thinking at worse I tore a meniscus (and depending on the severity or the location of the tear it may or may not need arthroscopic surgery) but there's no ligament damage as I have full knee strength and mobility it's just a little stiff, swollen, and has pain but not excruciating pain.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Good luck, Chairman.

Still keeping all that weight off that you lost?

Since you've expressed some interest in triathlons... This would be the perfect time to get in the pool if you haven't already.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Good luck, Chairman.

Still keeping all that weight off that you lost?

Since you've expressed some interest in triathlons... This would be the perfect time to get in the pool if you haven't already.

I'm at 180. I want to get down to 150 ish. I mean i'm not incredibly concerned with the number but I'd like to get close to 10% BF if I could, or at least get below 15%, and then focus on building some muscle. I'm 5'8 and based on wrist size I'm not large framed which I wouldn't have believed given my size a few years ago:laugh:

Still I'll take 180 all day over 350:handclap: Trying to keep the dream of seeing if I actually have abs alive. I swear they're there, just under 200 lbs of fat.

I'm crazy meticulous about hitting my macro's and I weigh out everything I eat so I think I can get there given time. My body has responded really well to going ketogenic. I just try to make sure I hit 1 g protein per lb of LBM and then fill the rest with healthy fats and get a few carbs from nuts, berries, veggies. I'm eating 1500-1800 calories a day depending on how much exercise I did but as I get leaner I'll have to raise that a bit as my fat stores shrink and I can't sustain as large of a deficit.

I've also moved to intermittent fasting the last few months and started with 16/8 but now I'm down to a 20/4 fasting schedule, which helps as at least during that window i can eat quite a bit to cover the 1500-1800 calories.

Looking up your new bike Ray and it looks pretty nice for the price (without the discount you got) for full ultegra. Might have to test ride it when I'm ready to buy.

Last edited:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. Absolutely insane, pure glacier water at most spots. Was able to fill my water bottle up right from the rivers. After I upload some pictures from the camera maybe I'll post a few more elsewhere if anyone is interested. Trip of a lifetime.

Looks reminiscent of my Banff-Jasper trip. So surreal to ride in this type of scenery.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Took the bike out for my first proper ride yesterday. Kept it a bit lighter, just to be safe... and because it hadn't been properly fitted (although I did that this morning). Absolute pleasure to ride this thing. Love it.

Oh, and a cool down beer waiting in the cooler in the car when I finished up. :cheers:

image_566.jpg

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Took the bike out for my first proper ride yesterday. Kept it a bit lighter, just to be safe... and because it hadn't been properly fitted (although I did that this morning). Absolute pleasure to ride this thing. Love it.

Oh, and a cool down beer waiting in the cooler in the car when I finished up. :cheers:

image_566.jpg

I like your new bike. How do you like that saddle? I have a carbon Defy but it came with the same saddle as the one on yours. I had to change mine out pretty quickly as it just didn't work for me. Giant's are stellar bikes!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I like your new bike. How do you like that saddle? I have a carbon Defy but it came with the same saddle as the one on yours. I had to change mine out pretty quickly as it just didn't work for me. Giant's are stellar bikes!

Fist ride the saddle was a little rough, but the bike hadn't been properly fitted. Yesterday was my first ride after getting it fitted... and it wasn't too awful, but I'm still going to upgrade it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad