Cycling

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Got a nice ride planned tomorrow from Atlanta into the north Georgia mountains. The elevation towards the end should be crippling, I'm guessing. Can't wait. All told looking at anywhere from 55-65 miles depending the way I take. Can't wait to get out of the city and into the middle of nowhere with some peace and quiet.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
How did your ride go, Ray?

I finally took my Focus (my old commuter) bike to the store on Friday, and yeah, the frame and rear derailleur were both toast, after the crash that messed up my hip. Guess it was a harder fall than I had originally thought. The frame had taken many hard knocks, so... it was time to send it to the everlasting mountain roads that are the recycling bins.

On to a new bike!!!

Ain't she a beaut? ALWAYS wanted a Look.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
How did your ride go, Ray?

I finally took my Focus (my old commuter) bike to the store on Friday, and yeah, the frame and rear derailleur were both toast, after the crash that messed up my hip. Guess it was a harder fall than I had originally thought. The frame had taken many hard knocks, so... it was time to send it to the everlasting mountain roads that are the recycling bins.

On to a new bike!!!

Ain't she a beaut? ALWAYS wanted a Look.

Ride was good, but didn't get as much elevation as I was hoping for... although I did get in about 62 miles and 5000 feet of climbing (100K and 1525m). Weather could not have possibly been any nicer, temperature was perfect and there was a cloud cover the entire ride which I was more than fine with. Over the last 10 miles (16K) is when the elevation REALLY kicked in, and what I wanted more of... probably did about 1/3 of the total elevation over that last 10 miles.

Love that bike, absolutely love it... I don't even want to know the price tag on that puppy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Did 21 miles today but only about 1000 ft of climbing.

Nice... would you say that's an "average" ride for the area you live in? Always curious to the type of climbing others have access to.

Out here my 9 mile ride to work has about 800 feet of climbing, and it's about even both ways in terms of distance and elevation. On the way back I tacked on some extra miles, and did 25 on the way home, which had about 2100 feet of climbing. Without going up and down the same hills over and over and over, that's about as much elevation as I could have done, at least that I'm aware of.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's their entry-level carbon frame, with mechanical Ultegra on it. Look is slightly more expensive than other brands, but I think it was... reasonable. I had the wheels already, mind.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It's their entry-level carbon frame, with mechanical Ultegra on it. Look is slightly more expensive than other brands, but I think it was... reasonable. I had the wheels already, mind.

Ahhhh, ok. The wheels are what really blew me away. The frame is awesome, no doubt. But that frame + those wheels had me thinking "good god man."

I know you have the rear disk wheel for your tri bike, but will you use the wheels shown in that pic for all your other bikes/rides?

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Nice... would you say that's an "average" ride for the area you live in? Always curious to the type of climbing others have access to.

Out here my 9 mile ride to work has about 800 feet of climbing, and it's about even both ways in terms of distance and elevation. On the way back I tacked on some extra miles, and did 25 on the way home, which had about 2100 feet of climbing. Without going up and down the same hills over and over and over, that's about as much elevation as I could have done, at least that I'm aware of.

I can get some more climbing in if I go on certain routes. I'm on the coast so there's lots of coastal hills around and there's a good climb thats about 1000 feet over 2.5 miles that I've done a few times. I'm just in the beginning stages of trying to add some mileage so I figured I wouldn't add too many steep steep climbs in yet. I'm also doing it all on a hardtail mountain bike right now so my mph is also probably lower than I could do on a road bike.

If I feel like driving a little bit I can get to some 2-3k foot mountain summits that are bike accessible.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I can get some more climbing in if I go on certain routes. I'm on the coast so there's lots of coastal hills around and there's a good climb thats about 1000 feet over 2.5 miles that I've done a few times. I'm just in the beginning stages of trying to add some mileage so I figured I wouldn't add too many steep steep climbs in yet. I'm also doing it all on a hardtail mountain bike right now so my mph is also probably lower than I could do on a road bike.

If I feel like driving a little bit I can get to some 2-3k foot mountain summits that are bike accessible.

Man... I really wish I had something that extreme, without having to go over the same hills over and over and over.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Found some quiet neighborhoods to ride through this morning. The hills are not very long on distance, but I found several that were between 20-27% climbs. :scared:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Finally broke my personal best this past week for 10mi. Averaged over 32kmh for that particular ride.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Man... I really wish I had something that extreme, without having to go over the same hills over and over and over.

I've done some mountain passes in the Rockies here in AB. Also did the climb up to Moraine Lake, which is around 11km (or a bit more, not sure) and almost 400m elevation gain. Totally worth the climb to come down on the other side, that's for sure. I think I got close to 75km/h on the way down. :laugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Shit bike but I don't care, still going to get some miles in while in New Zealand.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That Water!

Picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. Absolutely insane, pure glacier water at most spots. Was able to fill my water bottle up right from the rivers. After I upload some pictures from the camera maybe I'll post a few more elsewhere if anyone is interested. Trip of a lifetime.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I was going to ask a question about cold weather gear, but now I just feel bad for Ray. :cry:

My question, though, is should I go out and get some fleece riding gear, or would getting some Under Armour ColdGear compression pants and top and putting my regular riding gear over top of that do the trick?

This would be for temperatures in the 5-10C range. I have the coldgear top and have used it for running under my running jacket, and it keeps me toasty, just don't know how it would fair with added wind chill.

Sorry again Ray.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I was going to ask a question about cold weather gear, but now I just feel bad for Ray. :cry:

My question, though, is should I go out and get some fleece riding gear, or would getting some Under Armour ColdGear compression pants and top and putting my regular riding gear over top of that do the trick?

This would be for temperatures in the 5-10C range. I have the coldgear top and have used it for running under my running jacket, and it keeps me toasty, just don't know how it would fair with added wind chill.

Sorry again Ray.

Thanks buddy.

I don't have any proper upper body cold weather gear, but will probably need to buy some pants for this winter. Upper body I'll probably just stick with some form of long johns, turtleneck, and a fairly tight running winter jacket thingy.

Oh, and I'd get some decent gloves if I were you.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton

Sorry again Ray.

For your "winter", I think you can get away with a thermal top, which it sounds like you have, and a hardshell over top. For bottoms, I have a pair of MEC running tights that get me down to about -20, I would recommend those.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
For your "winter", I think you can get away with a thermal top, which it sounds like you have, and a hardshell over top. For bottoms, I have a pair of MEC running tights that get me down to about -20, I would recommend those.

I was actually looking at those on their website last night.

Ray, warm gloves are definitely on the list.

Thanks guys.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I was actually looking at those on their website last night.

Ray, warm gloves are definitely on the list.

Thanks guys.

Oh, and shoe covers. I'd rather have one pair of socks with shoe covers vs 19 pairs of socks and no shoe covers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad