Cycling

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, original owner. Right around a year old, maybe a month or two older than a year. Will have to check and will be calling the bike shop I got it from when they open this morning.

And not a crash. I was climbing up a hill I've gone up a million times befor, pedals locked up in the middle of it. Unclipped and hopped off my bike to see the horrifying damage. I'll be you a million dollars right now that the warranty expired in June.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yes, original owner. Right around a year old, maybe a month or two older than a year. Will have to check and will be calling the bike shop I got it from when they open this morning.

And not a crash. I was climbing up a hill I've gone up a million times befor, pedals locked up in the middle of it. Unclipped and hopped off my bike to see the horrifying damage. I'll be you a million dollars right now that the warranty expired in June.

It's not through the bike shop, it's through the manufacturer. I believe Cannondale frames have a lifetime warranty for the original owner. Take it to the shop you bought it from and they will go through the process of getting your frame replaced.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It's not through the bike shop, it's through the manufacturer. I believe Cannondale frames have a lifetime warranty for the original owner. Take it to the shop you bought it from and they will go through the process of getting your frame replaced.

Yeah, didn't realize that. Just got off the phone with them and they said to bring it in today when I can and that they'll take some pictures and it off to Cannondale. I did ask the guy if Cannondale is normally pretty good customer service wise when dealing with stuff like that, and I didn't exactly get the most promising reply.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yeah, didn't realize that. Just got off the phone with them and they said to bring it in today when I can and that they'll take some pictures and it off to Cannondale. I did ask the guy if Cannondale is normally pretty good customer service wise when dealing with stuff like that, and I didn't exactly get the most promising reply.

Yeah, there's no guarantee if a company will follow through on their warranty or not. You have a pretty solid case though. I've heard other people having no problem getting a Cannondale warranty, and these were on much older (discontinued) bikes.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, there's no guarantee if a company will follow through on their warranty or not. You have a pretty solid case though. I've heard other people having no problem getting a Cannondale warranty, and these were on much older (discontinued) bikes.

Well that's good to hear. Just nervous they're going to try and blame it on me or say I wrecked, when I didn't.

image_243.jpg

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Well that's good to hear. Just nervous they're going to try and blame it on me or say I wrecked, when I didn't.

image_243.jpg

Wow! That's a crazy place for a break. I'm trying to imagine what kind of force could snap it like that?!? Must have been some poor fibre layering there?

Well, if you had wrecked it, there would be evidence of a crash that they could point to. Take as many detailed pics of the break as possible for your own evidence that there was nothing that hit the bike and vice versa. A clean break under a normal load is a manufacturing defect, period.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wow! That's a crazy place for a break. I'm trying to imagine what kind of force could snap it like that?!? Must have been some poor fibre layering there?

Well, if you had wrecked it, there would be evidence of a crash that they could point to. Take as many detailed pics of the break as possible for your own evidence that there was nothing that hit the bike and vice versa. A clean break under a normal load is a manufacturing defect, period.

Yeah, I'm about to take my own pics. Did you see the part of the chain completely bent, just above and to the left of the crack? That chain has less than 400 miles on it, too. And I grease it regularly. Might look a little dry there but that's just because I just gave it a rinse before I bring it in later today.

I wasn't going that fast at the time it happened, and I've gone up much steeper hills without any issue.

There are a few scuff marks on it and some chipped paint here and there, but no other chunks or anything that would suggest I was in an accident. Nothing you can't see without having to get really close up to inspect it.

Any idea what the turnaround on something like this could be... Days? Weeks?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Guy on another forum just told me he's gone through 4 Cannondale carbon fiber frames with his bike, but that they all have been replaced. Suggested something likely isn't spinning properly in my drive-train, and that's what ate my chain up and brought me to an immediate halt. Said the same exact thing has happened to him twice out of the 4 times he's broken his frame.

While I love my bike when it's working, this thing sure has been a pain in the ass... And if/when I get a new bike, I don't think I'll even consider another Cannondale.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You and me both, Imp.

Time to head to the bike shop, but I've heard some not so great things from other people and their experiences with Cannondale, but not necessarily my shop... Although I'm not exactly in love with those guys either, for that matter. Just a ****** situation all around. Legit nervous to even bring it in given how this one guy who now runs that side of the shop, complete *****.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just got back from the shop and am pretty sure getting a new frame won't be an issue... But won't know for sure for a few days. The guy who runs the shop apparently is in charge of inspecting it before submitting the work order for whatever to Cannondale and he gave me the thumbs up about it... But again, still needs to be approved by Cannondale obviously.

Only thing he questioned me about was why the side of it was scuffed up, from when I haul it in my car... That's the only reason Cannondale could deny me a new frame, so hopefully they aren't mega douches and don't use that as a reason to deny it.

Hopefully will have a new frame in a few weeks, and then just need to pay th $200 to swap all the components from the old frame to the new one.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Just got back from the shop and am pretty sure getting a new frame won't be an issue... But won't know for sure for a few days. The guy who runs the shop apparently is in charge of inspecting it before submitting the work order for whatever to Cannondale and he gave me the thumbs up about it... But again, still needs to be approved by Cannondale obviously.

Only thing he questioned me about was why the side of it was scuffed up, from when I haul it in my car... That's the only reason Cannondale could deny me a new frame, so hopefully they aren't mega douches and don't use that as a reason to deny it.

Hopefully will have a new frame in a few weeks, and then just need to pay th $200 to swap all the components from the old frame to the new one.

I would look into getting Cannondale to pay at least part of the (dis)assembly fee. I feel like I've heard of others getting a manufacturer to cover that fee? Also, $200 seems steep.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I would look into getting Cannondale to pay at least part of the (dis)assembly fee. I feel like I've heard of others getting a manufacturer to cover that fee? Also, $200 seems steep.

Yeah I'll deal with that after the approve me getting a new frame... At this point, all I care about is the frame being replaced.

But yes, I also thought $200 seemed high, especially since I'm sure it will take 3-4 days before they can even get around to doing it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Cannondale has mailed me out a new frame as of this morning... and they actually are sending me an even better frame than what I had before, as they no longer make mine nor have any left in stock. If my research is correct from what the guy on the phone said from the bike shop, this is the bike I'll be getting... All he mentioned was that it is a HI-MOD, and there are 4 different HI-MOD bikes, but this was the only one I could find that comes in the color he said.

c15_cm2350_02_red_2_1.1412869194.jpg

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Seems like a good ending to the story, m8. Good on you.

Yep, pretty painless process all around. Will have to pay the shop a few bucks to put the old stuff on the new frame, but with the frame upgrade I'll be getting, I'm ok with that.

I really really hope that is the frame I'm getting. I saw someone at the shop with it the other day and even commented on how gorgeous that frame was, so that would be awesome. Given what he said, pretty sure it is, but won't believe it till I see it.

In the meantime I've been having to train on the bike for my 70.3 training, and while it can be boring... I definitely feel like I'll be a better rider when I get back on the bike with some of the intense sessions I've had. There have been a few days my training has called for 6-8 minute hills with my HR 85-95% of its max... and it's been much easier to sustain stretches like that on a bike rather than trying to find a hill, and then keep it in that zone. I might consider keeping up with one day a week or so on a stationary bike when it comes to some pretty intense training like that, as long as it lasts under an hour.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Sorry to hear about the bike. I'm always really scared that something will happen when I'm going up a hill... it's good to hear that nothing happened to you!

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've been completely drained of energy after La Marmotte, and then had a cold all weekend, so I haven't touched a bike since Saturday last week (or run, or swum). Getting a bit antsy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've been completely drained of energy after La Marmotte, and then had a cold all weekend, so I haven't touched a bike since Saturday last week (or run, or swum). Getting a bit antsy.

That sucks... This stationary bike is killing me. Definitely have been getting some high quality workouts in on it, but I had to spend 2 ****ing hours on one yesterday. **** was just so damn boring.

That and it's been consistently 100+ degrees out here of late, and I haven't had time to train early in the morning or late at night when it's been tolerable... So I've either opted for more boring indoor training or absolutely miserable and brutal training in the heat.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
That sucks... This stationary bike is killing me. Definitely have been getting some high quality workouts in on it, but I had to spend 2 ****ing hours on one yesterday. **** was just so damn boring.

That and it's been consistently 100+ degrees out here of late, and I haven't had time to train early in the morning or late at night when it's been tolerable... So I've either opted for more boring indoor training or absolutely miserable and brutal training in the heat.

2 hours on a stationary bike? that's hell dude lol

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
First rides today, to/from work. The speed is there, but I was coughing up... leftovers... from my cold all through the morning ride. Still, good to get back on the old horse.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
First rides today, to/from work. The speed is there, but I was coughing up... leftovers... from my cold all through the morning ride. Still, good to get back on the old horse.

I'm really, really itching to get back on the bike. Hoping maybe I get a call a day early that it's ready tomorrow afternoon.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
My cycling group rode the Seattle to Portland ride this past weekend. Most of them did the one day ride, some did the two day-er. I helped drive all the luggage down to Portland. It sucked at times just standing around waiting for them to come in without a bike i could go ride around myself. Almost gave my bike a hug when I got home. :laugh: Already told the group I'm doing it next year and that they'll be down a driver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad