Curtis Lazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Serious injury will likely mean missing the playoffs. That's not a good thing.
TBH making them or missing them, isnt that big a deal.We arent ready to compete the cup which is the only real thing that matters ,in the playoffs anyhow.Keep building ,look to make some more, impactful moves via trade .And when our time comes win it all :handclap:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Serious injury will likely mean missing the playoffs. That's not a good thing.

Maybe missing the playoffs will do wonders for this organization going forward.

Every year we make the playoffs management seems to be content with personnel and thus no significant change.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Must be Karma, I bumped into Curtis Lazar today at the Independent Grocery store in Stittsville today, which is basically a suburb of Ottawa noy far from the arena (CTC). He seems taller to me, I wonder if he grew another inch over the summer, he looks to be about 6' or so to me. Anyway, he was very nice & friendly as most of them are, I wished him luck this yr.

Same, bumped into him at the CTC, and he's at least 6'. Looked pretty sturdy too.

Today I saw Mark Stone at Hurley's Restaurant in Stittsville, he must have been having lunch with a couple of the boys at the back of the restaurant. I didn't bother to go back & look who he was with, I'm sure they get bugged enough by people when they are out & about town. I would guess it might be the two he lives with Lazar & Wideman, I think they have a townhouse in the Stittsville area. I have heard that they play street hockey with the kids in their neighbourhood which is kinda cool. Neat to see the players around town though, it's a nice perk to having an NHL team in your town.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Cameron said its more long term than short term. Ugh.

Not happy about Lazar injured, but happy that other guys like Prince or Puempel or

maybe both will get chances to play. We have a lot of young guys that could play in

the NHL right now and haven't had a fair chance thus far so altough it sucks having

Hoffman, MacArthur, and Lazar out, it may give us a better look at young guys.

Xamar*

It's kind of embarrassing how hyped Lazar was. He kinda sucks offensively ..

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Sounds like another concussion. I would have rather if he got a sprain or break. At least you know when that heals.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

Please stop. I'm really starting to understand why people leave these boards. Everyone overreacts to everything. Within the first 8 games of the season everyone's either a bust or a steal. That's kind of embarrassing.

He's 20 years old and he's looked fine. Nobody expected him to be juggernaut offensively.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

He's coming up as advertized. If you have never seen him in junior then I can understand the dissapointment but he never was a guy who was supposed to rack up points and be dominant offensively. Lazar could top out as a Mike Fisher type of player, just a very good 2nd/3rd line player that can play good defensively, can chip in offensively and throw his body around. Not only is he not a guy that will impress offensively, but he's still only 20 years old also.

People who actually watch more than just the NHL knew what kind of player he would be and for him to come in and be a good defensive player was a big step last season. Not many 20 year old player can come in and shutdown other teams top lines. The offense will come, He should be a 20G player in the future but not now. So basically, if you thought he'd be a factor offensively then you we'Re most likely yourself overhyping him, but realistically he came in and did exactly what was expected from him.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
You think Lazar will ever put up 70+ points ? :laugh: He doesn't have a knack for offense doesn't mean he's not a good NHL'er. He was hyped as an offensive threat during his time with the Oil Kings.

I don't think Lazar will ever get the opportunity to be that player on our team, just like Foligno wasn't able to. I do think he will be just as good a player as Foligno, and clearly has 50+ pt ability. He's not comfortable offensively against NHL players yet, but he's clearly been improving and has shown me an ability to think plays out, execute, and he has a great shot and good passing ability. It's just about putting that together. To some people, it looks like he has no offensive skill. To me, it just looks like he's raw offensively. Just because he's extremely polished in one area of the game, doesn't mean his unpolished aspects won't develop. He is still a great skater and has one of the best shots from his draft. I see his bottom end offensively as Mike Fisher, and I think he's a pretty safe bet to hit that level.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed with his offensive production unless they had the wrong expectations.

Xamar, what were you expectations for him?

Xamar*

Can't wait. Honestly he will be our next captain. Awesome player and person.

Mike Peca

If Lazar turns into Peca we got him about 12 spots lower than we should have. If there was a player who was 100% a lock to have a career like Mike Peca, he goes top 10 in any draft.

Such a promising all round player.

WJC's could be Lazar's coming out party as one of the best prospects.

I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed with his offensive production unless they had the wrong expectations.

Xamar, what were you expectations for him?

There you go ...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
There you go ...

So you're telling me Lazar is a good young player? That he is a leader and captain material in the future? That he is promising? Yes, yes and yes.

Nobody is expecting him to be amongst the best offensive players on this team. He has been very good defensively, and all around also, he just hasn't produced. Exactly what was expected. Of course you can hope for more offense, but in the end he is 20 years old and learning his way into the NHL. It's not realistic to expect him to produce as a top 6 player.

Xamar*

So you're telling me Lazar is a good young player? That he is a leader and captain material in the future? That he is promising? Yes, yes and yes.

Nobody is expecting him to be amongst the best offensive players on this team. He has been very good defensively, and all around also, he just hasn't produced. Exactly what was expected.

At his peak in the NHL, Peca was a 27-goal, ~60 point player on a damn good Sabres team. If you're telling me you can't ever see Lazar hitting that, you're deluding yourself.
I'm having a hard time thinking about Lazar hitting 30 points forget about 60. He had a prime time game on Saturday to showcase his offense on the top line but came up short. He just doesn't have the offensive skills and many times the play completely dies on his stick. I like Lazar but I see his peak being a 3rd liner and that's it. Unless his offense improves dramatically, but who really sees that happening on this team?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So if I interpret your post you are expecting ~30 points from Lazar this year? Bear in mind that Peca played in a different era.

I have no issues with Lazar's offensive output. Last year was a real struggle, which is expected from the 19 year old. This year you can't deny he hasn't had chances. It just hasn't gone in. I never expected him to put up high number of points so my expectations are lower. He's already excellent defensively.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm having a hard time thinking about Lazar hitting 30 points forget about 60. He had a prime time game on Saturday to showcase his offense on the top line but came up short. He just doesn't have the offensive skills and many times the play completely dies on his stick. I like Lazar but I see his peak being a 3rd liner and that's it. Unless his offense improves dramatically.

One thing you have to think about is that if Lazar wasn't good defensively, and careful as he is, he likely wouldn't be on the team right now. Cameron, and the Senators organization in general isn't a team that will let players come in and take shifts off defensively. Not only do you have the wrong expectations for Lazar, for which I suspect you have never seen him before he played in the NHL and was just hearing how he was a solid prospect, but you are also judging him as a 20 year old getting his first shot on the top 6 early in the season and expecting him to turn this team around.

Lazar is a good prospect, but he's not an offensive wizard.

Mark Stone came in and played a couple games a few years back and looked very average. Look at how he's playing now. You CANT judge a player that's 20 years old when he's just getting used to play in the NHL. Nevermind him producing when playing against the other teams best players all night. People are quick to forget that when you play a top 6 role, you have an opportunity to play with better players, but you also play against the other teams best defensemen and forwards.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So Lazar was 17th overall pick...but not expected to be offensively gifted...just a 3rd liner w character? We coulda had Anthony Mantha, Nic Petan, Adam Erne...IMO Lazar had better have more upside than 3rd liner to justify 17th pick

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I'm having a hard time thinking about Lazar hitting 30 points forget about 60. He had a prime time game on Saturday to showcase his offense on the top line but came up short. He just doesn't have the offensive skills and many times the play completely dies on his stick. I like Lazar but I see his peak being a 3rd liner and that's it. Unless his offense improves dramatically, but who really sees that happening on this team?

[mod] Over the past 5 years:

Karlsson has been by far the leading offensive dman.
Stone emerged from a 28 point 6th rounder to a 64 point NHL rookie.
Hoffman went from being a speedy overager to the leading goal scorer rookie and a 48 pt player.
Kyle Turris went from being a guy with a career high in 25 points to being a 55-65 point top line player.
Zibanejad has scored at a 42pt pace in his short career, and as a 22 year old is on pace for over 70 points. Before the Arizona game, we had 5 guys in the top 25 scorers in the league.
Silfverberg, after scoring 19 points in 48 games in his rookie year, has failed to progress offensively in any meaningful increment.

Lazar, in his first 75 games playing an almost exclusively defensive role as a 19/20 year old, has scored at a 20 point pace. You don't think he will hit 30. :help:

Other similar players we have drafted in the past include Foligno, Fisher, Laich, and Vermette.

As a 20 year old rookie, Foligno scored 9 points in 45 games. In his 21y.o season, he scored 32 points in 81 games, and would pace between 31pts-34pts per 82 until he was 24. At that point, he put up 47 points, followed it up with a 35 point pace, followed that up with a 45 point pace, and then broke out last year with 73 points. He looks now to be a safe bet as a 50+ pt guy.

As a 19 year old rookie, Fisher scored 9 in 32. The next year, he had 19 in 60, and the year after he had 24 in 58. As a 25 year old, Fisher broke out, scoring 22 goals and 44 points in 68 games. In his 10 post-lockout seasons, he has scored at a pace of 20-30 goals/82 games in every season but 1, and has paced above 50 points in all seasons but 2.

Laich played his rookie year as a 22/23 year old, scoring 21 points in 73 games. He followed that up with 18 in 73, before breaking out with 37 the next year - as a 24/25 year old. The following four years, he scored between 40-60 points.

Vermette played as a 21 year old in his rookie season, scoring 14 points in 73 games. After a full season in the AHL due to the lockout, Vermette returned as a 23 year old and scored 33 points in 82 games. In the next 5 seasons, he scored between 39 and 65 points. Since then, he has scored at a consistent 35-45 point pace.

The Bottom Line: none of these guys posses tools that Lazar doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
So Lazar was 17th overall pick...but not expected to be offensively gifted...just a 3rd liner w character? We coulda had Anthony Mantha, Nic Petan, Adam Erne...IMO Lazar had better have more upside than 3rd liner to justify 17th pick

I would still take Lazar over any of the guys you listed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad