Curtis Lazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I dont see the Dustin Brown comparison in Lazar. Lazar has potential to bring more elements than Brown can.

Brown is just had grinder that had a few good years of goal scoring.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
......... At this point, is Lazar really > Greening? Both are seemingly offensive black holes. I guess Lazar may be defensively more adept than Greening, but Greening has been strong on his skates, just as fast as Lazar. If not Greening, could've played the more ready prospects in Prince and Puempel over the last season and and kept Condra this coming year or let him go for one of Prince this year.

Forget Condra he refused a contract because he wanted more than a one year and he would have blocked someone eventually. How would we like it if he caused us to lose or give up on Puempel/Prince or maybe even stopped Paul from being promoted just because he pulled a "Phillips" on BM and got a 3 year deal?

As far as Puempel over Lazar I'm not sure that's a plus. If Puempel had required waivers I might tend to agree with you but only on the basis of good asset management not necessarily on their value to the team. I do not think any of us are in a position to make that assessment weighing them 1 on 1. IMO Puempel may end up scoring more over his career but Lazar has other important attributes that help him be more useful at a younger age.

As far as Greening. No! He's inconsistent at best and takes shifts and games off. Many times I watched him coast a long way into a soft check or get pushed off the puck by much smaller guys. If he played well he'd be here. Greening peaked very quickly and declined rapidly after that. From a small financial point of view (paying Lazar AHL money instead of NHL) might seem to make sense but not from a developmental perspective. It's not like Lazar sits in the stands often or plays only 6 minutes a game. He's being tested in all kinds of situations including every forward position and on the pk. Last year he spent every shift on his butt. This year he's a bit stronger and its not as bad. The Sens may be paying a small premium to dress Lazar by paying a larger salary in the AHL but it pays off now on the ice and will even more in the future. I really don't see anyone who can take his place. Even in the worse case scenario he'd cling to the 4th line. It's not like Lazar is blocking a better player from being on the team.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Cameron used him in a key faceoff vs Sidney Crosby. Despite him being the winger on his line.

That is one of many reasons why he is not in the AHL right now. We need him. He is easily one if our 12 best forwards. We want to make the playoffs and go deep.

One of our top 12 forwards isnt exactly a ringing endorsement, that only leaves Neil, Smith and Chiasson.

I like Lazar but if we are in a position where we "need" him then I think we are in for a long season. He will never be a top point producer.

I believe playing top minutes in Bingo would be the best thing for his career.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The funny thing is, part of the logjam in the bottom six was created by bringing Lazar in early last year. And to be honest, he didn't really contribute much to the kid line last year either, it was mostly Condra and Pageau.

At this point, is Lazar really > Greening? Both are seemingly offensive black holes. I guess Lazar may be defensively more adept than Greening, but Greening has been strong on his skates, just as fast as Lazar. If not Greening, could've played the more ready prospects in Prince and Puempel over the last season and and kept Condra this coming year or let him go for one of Prince this year.

Lazar is way better then Greening. Greening is like the organizations 15th/16th best forward.

Lazar might not be showing finish or great play with the puck. But he is smart and has great instincts, smarts and a motor.

If Greening was better then Lazar he would be on the 3rd line. Not paid millions to play in upstate New York.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
One of our top 12 forwards isnt exactly a ringing endorsement, that only leaves Neil, Smith and Chiasson.

I like Lazar but if we are in a position where we "need" him then I think we are in for a long season. He will never be a top point producer.

I believe playing top minutes in Bingo would be the best thing for his career.

Being one of our top 12 forwards is a pretty good reason to be in the NHL. Like you know it is a business.

This garbage about learning how to score in the AHL has got to stop. He gets to play with far, far superior players here. He gets 13 mins a game. He gets shots on the 2nd line, the PP.

Playing vs and with much lesser players in a much weaker league isn't going to make him develop offensively. Time will. Time. He is 20 years old.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Being one of our top 12 forwards is a pretty good reason to be in the NHL. Like you know it is a business.

This garbage about learning how to score in the AHL has got to stop. He gets to play with far, far superior players here. He gets 13 mins a game. He gets shots on the 2nd line, the PP.

Playing vs and with much lesser players in a much weaker league isn't going to make him develop offensively. Time will. Time. He is 20 years old.

if you would have immediately put nyquist in the nhl or Hoffman. would they be the kind of scorers they are right now? and these guys are waaay more offensively talented than lazar...I understand they also had to work on their defensive game more than lazar did.. but same principle.

BigBush*

Great game by Lazar tonight. It's coming to him, we just got to be patient

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Snake bit tonight!!!!!!

Gotta say, I like when players look angry and determined when we're losing rather than smiley. Irrational I know, but it's just a feeling. Didn't like EK laughing away either.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Agreed. Best game of season. I still believe he should have been sent back but he'll still be good regardless imo.

I think, he have nothing to learn in AHL level. I reaaly like his attitude. Goals will come. Maybe its time to try use him on PP more. He may score some here and there.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Snake bit tonight!!!!!!

Gotta say, I like when players look angry and determined when we're losing rather than smiley. Irrational I know, but it's just a feeling. Didn't like EK laughing away either.

haha - I'm the same way. If I can't smile and enjoy the game neither should he! I'm drinking this beer and eating this popcorn with more intensity boys! Get fired up and engaged!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think, he have nothing to learn in AHL level. I reaaly like his attitude. Goals will come. Maybe its time to try use him on PP more. He may score some here and there.

I think they put him on the PP tonight and he looked to be causing a bit of havoc. This kid has it all over the ice. It is only a matter of time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I also think Lazar is going to be a pretty good player with time but I would like to see him moved to centre his natural position at some point. He has all the tools of a good centre (built like Crosby) & with the right wingers could make a very good energy & secondary scoring line. I just see him as a much better option for the team as a whole having Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar & Smith down the middle with Paul eventually making it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Must be Karma, I bumped into Curtis Lazar today at the Independent Grocery store in Stittsville today, which is basically a suburb of Ottawa noy far from the arena (CTC). He seems taller to me, I wonder if he grew another inch over the summer, he looks to be about 6' or so to me. Anyway, he was very nice & friendly as most of them are, I wished him luck this yr.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Must be Karma, I bumped into Curtis Lazar today at the Independent Grocery store in Stittsville today, which is basically a suburb of Ottawa noy far from the arena (CTC). He seems bigger to me, I wonder if he grew another inch over the summer, he looks to be about 6' to me. Anyway, he was very nice & friendly as most of them are, I wished him luck this yr.

Hasn't he always been listed as 6'0?

Also, I'm pretty sure that you're the only person I've ever heard refer to him as small, but I'm starting to think you might like players who are tall. ;)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hasn't he always been listed as 6'0?

Also, I'm pretty sure that you're the only person I've ever heard refer to him as small, but I'm starting to think you might like players who are tall. ;)

I believe he was listed at 5'11" & isn't the average size in the NHL now 6'? He's not small, I would say he is average really but in my lifetime & in every sport the players continue to get bigger & bigger every yr including hockey. Geez, did you see the pitcher for KC last night, he was 6'10" & pitched a pretty good game.

BigBush*

He doesn't look 6' 205lbs. Maybe that's because of the baby face and smile though

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Must be Karma, I bumped into Curtis Lazar today at the Independent Grocery store in Stittsville today, which is basically a suburb of Ottawa noy far from the arena (CTC). He seems taller to me, I wonder if he grew another inch over the summer, he looks to be about 6' or so to me. Anyway, he was very nice & friendly as most of them are, I wished him luck this yr.

Same, bumped into him at the CTC, and he's at least 6'. Looked pretty sturdy too.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I dont see the Dustin Brown comparison in Lazar. Lazar has potential to bring more elements than Brown can.

Brown is just had grinder that had a few good years of goal scoring.

Brown is a grinder that can play against the oppositions best players and chip in with 20 goals.

Plays against the other teams best players. Has done this playing for a top team.

Dustin Brown is never going to be 7 million dollar player. But neither is Lazar.

Both these guys will likely be important players to their teams though.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Ken Warren @Citizenkwarren
Lazar is seeing time with Turris and Stone this morning

Yes, putting a guy who can't finish to save his life on the top line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ken Warren @Citizenkwarren
Lazar is seeing time with Turris and Stone this morning

Yes, putting a guy who can't finish to save his life on the top line.

On his offwing too...

I am having a hard time understanding Cameron this season. Sounds like Hoffmans injury is serious.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Brown is a grinder that can play against the oppositions best players and chip in with 20 goals.

Plays against the other teams best players. Has done this playing for a top team.

Dustin Brown is never going to be 7 million dollar player. But neither is Lazar.

Both these guys will likely be important players to their teams though.

I forgot to reply with to specify the difference.

Lazar will be a key faceoff player and a go to defensive player. Brown is neither.

Lazar will have more depth to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad