Curtis Lazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
really depends on what pieces we get back for spezza and if we sign a forward via ufa.

He wont be here if all we can give him are low mins otherwise he will be

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I thought he wasn't going to be allowed to play in the ahl next year being that he is not at the right age. I thought it was nhl or junior for him next year? Maybe i just thought wrong.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Too hard to tell until we see the team following what may happen this off-season.

I'm more or less expecting him to get 9 games and then go back to Edmonton to act as captain and dominate for another season.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Will play 9 games then be sent to CHL unless he plays lights out. Can't be sent to AHL as people have mentioned.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He probably shouldn't: it's clear he could benefit from being given time in the spotlight and working on his offense

The budget means he very well might not because of it: we aren't going to contend so why pay him when someone else could?

Talking to people around town has indicated one thing though: people are really down on the team at the moment and it's clear that something needs to be done to inject a bit of life into the fanbase. Does management roll the dice and try selling "the future is now! the problems of tomorrow, today!" to us if Lazar impresses at camp?

I think a lot of it is going to depend on two things:
-What happens in the off-season
-How he performs at camp

At this time both are unknowns so it's pretty much impossible to make an informed decision

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He will be back with the Oil Kings. No need to rush him. No room for him anyways.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I heard he could play in AHL somewhere, should have checked though. Okay, can a mod take out the 3rd option please?

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
He will be back with the Oil Kings. No need to rush him. No room for him anyways.

Tomas Hertl was complettely rushed by SJ. Was 19 at start of the season, like Lazar. 25 points in 37 games. 5 point in 7 PO games. Epic fail by SJ.:sarcasm:
If Lazar can play in NHL, he need to play. Room will be made for him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tomas Hertl was complettely rushed by SJ. Was 19 at start of the season, like Lazar. 25 points in 37 games. 5 point in 7 PO games. Epic fail by SJ.:sarcasm:

that's one example..
oh and lazar wont have the supporting cast that hertl had.
put hertl on this years senators... what is he?

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

You just used one extreme outlier to make your argument.

Curtis Lazar will also not be playing on Joe Thornton's wing.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
that's one example..
oh and lazar wont have the supporting cast that hertl had.
put hertl on this years senators... what is he?

Argeed. My point is, IF player is ready for NHL, sending him to minor league for a season is a huge step back.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Didn't do the poll as this option was not available.

He'll play the 9 games and then will be sent back.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People forget how good Lazar looked at our camp last year. He stuck around for a while, and impressed the heck out of everyone. As mentioned, Bryan Murray briefly toyed with the idea of keeping him.

Fast forward a year - the kid is now 19, just had a dominant season in Junior, and won the Memorial Cup. There is nothing else for him to learn in junior - nothing. You'll simply be setting his development back by a year in sending him there. Curtis Lazar will easily be one of our best 12 forwards coming out of camp, and if he is he should stay and play. Coach says that best players play, right? If that means we have to sit or waive a Condra, Greening or Neil type, so be it.

Bottom line is that both the team's current needs, and Lazar's development as a player, are best served by having him in the NHL in 2014-15.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I heard he could play in AHL somewhere, should have checked though. Okay, can a mod take out the 3rd option please?

You're partially right, he will be able to play in the AHL once his season is finished for the CHL..so the B-Sens will likely see him for the playoffs next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Argeed. My point is, IF player is ready for NHL, sending him to minor league for a season is a huge step back.

It all depends on what your expectations are

He could be deemed ready in that he wouldn't be overwhelmed but maybe he could spend some more time getting grade A minutes and working on his offense and that's not likely to happen in the NHL

It's all about what you want or think the player can become rather than what the player can do at this time.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
People forget how good Lazar looked at our camp last year. He stuck around for a while, and impressed the heck out of everyone. As mentioned, Bryan Murray briefly toyed with the idea of keeping him.

Fast forward a year - the kid is now 19, just had a dominant season in Junior, and won the Memorial Cup. There is nothing else for him to learn in junior - nothing. You'll simply be setting his development back by a year in sending him there. Curtis Lazar will easily be one of our best 12 forwards coming out of camp, and if he is he should stay and play. Coach says that best players play, right? If that means we have to sit or waive a Condra, Greening or Neil type, so be it.

Bottom line is that both the team's current needs, and Lazar's development as a player, are best served by having him in the NHL in 2014-15.

What should happen and will happen are two very different things when it comes to the "best players play" argument as demonstrated by last season.

Remember when Zibanejad started in Bingo?

Or when Wiercioch sat in the press box night in, night out while Cowen, Gryba and Phillips continued to trip over themselves?

I think you make a good point, but I don't think Murray/MacLean would choose to send one of these guys packing if they didn't do so last season.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

So Tom Wilson wasnt rushed?

Imo Lazar wont be ready. Im sure he can handle a checking role in the NHL but he'll develop his offense better in the WHL. Which in the longrun will make him a better player.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
I would like him to play for ottawa. But I don't want him to be wasting his time up with the Sens if they are only going to give him 3rd or 4th line minutes. He should be playing at least 15 minutes a game.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He can't play in the AHL sadly. I think he will be with teh big club next year but I would prefer another year in the CHL.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What should happen and will happen are two very different things when it comes to the "best players play" argument as demonstrated by last season.

Remember when Zibanejad started in Bingo?

Or when Wiercioch sat in the press box night in, night out while Cowen, Gryba and Phillips continued to trip over themselves?

I think you make a good point, but I don't think Murray/MacLean would choose to send one of these guys packing if they didn't do so last season.

This whole "Wiercioch is the best example of how the best players did not, in fact, play"

Weircioch was slow, weak and poor defensively. He's nowhere near as good as some of you like to pretend he is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad