CTC Summer Upgrades Revealed

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It is mandated by the league now. All 30 teams.

There's no way we would have done it otherwise, because those machines are hella-expensive. Heck, we didn't even buy new ones, we bought them used from the PanAm Games. We basically did the league minimum of what the league required us to do.

I know it was mandated by the league. My comments were with that in mind.

I'm really surprised that there wasn't a bigger uproar amongst hockey fans about having to be treated like that just to go see a hockey game.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I know it was mandated by the league. My comments were with that in mind.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure, I know there are a lot of fans out there who think it's an ownership thing, instead of a league thing.

Speaking of ownership things, does anyone know how has the smoking ban / no re-entry policy gone over this season? Any major complaints? I mean, I know there are tons of complaints because I was talking to a friend who still works there the other day and deals with angry smokers on the regular, but just wondering how HFSens is feeling about it.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Has anybody actually felt threatened enough at a sporting event (let alone an Ottawa sporting event) to justify this kind of security?

It has to be either insurance or PR motivated bs. It is stupid.

I'll guarantee you it isn't insurance. I used to work in that industry, and every time someone wanted to implement an unpopular policy, they blamed "insurance". 99 times out of 100, it wasn't true - the insurance company hadn't said a thing. It's just that if you blame insurance, everyone just shrugs and accepts it.

In insurance, companies simply don't have the time or resources to micromanage the practices of every business they cover. They tend to look at things from a more 40,000 foot level. They either like the "risk", as the industry calls it, and will keep covering it, or the actuaries decide that they don't like the profile of the risk overall, and they drop you. Simple as that...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
danielpalfredsson

There has been many threats the last few years aginst stadiums and arenas that why the new rules.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So I went through the metal detector tonight at the game. I failed and it flashed red. Maybe my belt? The chain I wore? So I stand there for awhile waiting for someone to wand me or ask me to go through again... But no one notices. After a bit I walked away.

Pretty ineffectial security. If you are making everyone go through metal detectors... Might as well do something when it goes off?

i went through and before going through i said "ive got a bunch of change in my pocket, will that set it off?" in which case im told no. i walk through. it beeps. They ask me to take out my change and wand me. It doesn't beep, i look back and see a 50 year old man walk through and it beep and they just directed him in. Why didn't they wand the 50 year old? Because im 26 i must be trying to stab someone. Either wand everyone or wand no one. None of this selective BS.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I GUARANTEE you this is to help beer sales. We used to bring in 4 tallboys in our belt and watch people all around us bring tall boys out of their belts too.

Then they started wanding. So we would run out to the parking lot at intermission and pound one back.

Now this. You cant stop me! I have festival shorts! :sarcasm:

haha this but the other way around for me.

6 years ago was "go to the car and rip bowls and chug beers during intermish"

3 years ago was "bring 3-4 tall cans along your belt line"

now its "damnit i have to buy 12 dollar beers"

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure, I know there are a lot of fans out there who think it's an ownership thing, instead of a league thing.

Speaking of ownership things, does anyone know how has the smoking ban / no re-entry policy gone over this season? Any major complaints? I mean, I know there are tons of complaints because I was talking to a friend who still works there the other day and deals with angry smokers on the regular, but just wondering how HFSens is feeling about it.

The last two games I've been to I've smelt smoke in the bathrooms by the time the 2nd intermission rolls around, I guess that's to be expected, not sure why they just don't open up the balcony again.

Luckily I switched to vaping a year ago and can get away with a puff here or there in the building without being detected. ;)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The last two games I've been to I've smelt smoke in the bathrooms by the time the 2nd intermission rolls around, I guess that's to be expected, not sure why they just don't open up the balcony again.

Luckily I switched to vaping a year ago and can get away with a puff here or there in the building without being detected. ;)

I wore a patch the last 2 games I went to. Getting there early, I really end up spending 3.5 hours in the arena, if I eat I start thinking about smoking. With the patch I never think about it. But I only have about 10 patches left from
Previous aborted attempts to quit. So eventually I will have to go without at the games, with season tickets.

I have a vape I use pretty regularly at my girlfriends place, I brought it to a few games intending ti secretly use it if I really was nicing out, but I wasn't. I guess I am a bit chicken to use it inside the arena. I also went to the preseason and earlier games at the very last minute so I would need to go less time without a smoke.

So it actually has not been that bad, not smoking at games.

I used to go out to smoke between every period, but last year I started to only go once during the game. I understand why they want to not have to use the metal detectors between periods and such. And while I smoke, I don't even smoke a pack a day. I imagine if you are really hardcore and smoke a pack and a half a day... You just can't go 3 or 3.5 hours without smoking. I do think that this poor attendence so far this year is at least partly due to a few hundred people just giving up on going to games because they can't smoke.

And even militant non smokers could not have been affected by smoke since they closed the balconies to smokers. Lots of smoke did get in the building back then. Since they made you only smoke in front of the building, the smoking hurt no one, affected no one poorly. Though I guess, from this thread, some people really still drank beer they smuggled in or went to the car to do it.

I think the Sens best option is an enclosed by barricades smoking area in front. Where you can't leave and people watch for those leaping fences. I doubt it happens. But I think it is still possible depending on if the smokers cancelling ticket packages is not just a couple of hundred, but nearing a thousand or something. I see a slim chance of smoking veing brought back outside. Slim but not zero. The attendance this season is really poor consideri g how good the team is, the huge winning streak last year. Maybe angry smokers are a bigger factor then expected, rather then just higher ticket prices?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah I've gone to 3 games so far and while I haven't seen to many trying to go out (to be fair, I haven't really looked), I have seen a bunch of people trying to sneak cigarettes in the washroom, they light it and take 2 or 3 power puffs and then put it out.

I'm sure there will be a crackdown on that soon though, as it almost started a fight at the New Jersey game between a few people.

I know 4 people who cancelled half seasons this year, not only because of the smoking but just the general hassle of going to a game.

I'm sure though if the Sens are winning, most people will make the effort to go, regardless of the hassles.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The true test will be in February when its -30 and they are playing Carolina. After the 10 minute trek from your car to the entrance you will get to wait outside in a line for the metal detectors.

How many will put up with that when they have an HDTV at home?

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa
Are lineups to get in to the building really a problem this year? I don't see it as I arrive when doors open (I have season tickets). The only time I experienced a lineup was the first home game where there were a ton of people outside for the "Red Carpet" event, and even then, it went pretty quick.

I really thought it would be much worse. I wouldn't want to wait outside in -30 weather, but if everyone is prepared before getting to the doors - there shouldn't be a big problem getting into the building at all. I have my purse open and ready, nothing in my pockets - I have the stuff ready to put into the bins as I walk in. Takes at most 20 seconds to go through.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Are lineups to get in to the building really a problem this year? I don't see it as I arrive when doors open (I have season tickets). The only time I experienced a lineup was the first home game where there were a ton of people outside for the "Red Carpet" event, and even then, it went pretty quick.

I really thought it would be much worse. I wouldn't want to wait outside in -30 weather, but if everyone is prepared before getting to the doors - there shouldn't be a big problem getting into the building at all. I have my purse open and ready, nothing in my pockets - I have the stuff ready to put into the bins as I walk in. Takes at most 20 seconds to go through.

Personally been to all home games so far and literally haven't waited a second or really been slowed down other then having my wallet and cell phone out in my hands when entering....if they catch one clown with this i am good with it. Like many have indicated the true test will be in the deep winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad