CTC Summer Upgrades Revealed

Ttracer*

Club Bell is at one of the ends of the arena (not sure which), in the high 100's.

And ya, through a series of unusual events I ended up in Bruce Firestone's 400 level box once (yep he still has a box). You can't see crap from up there and you are basically busy eating food and drinking Corona's in suits, but it's a good time.

No, looking at the video there are 7 rows of muggle seats behind the glass before the primo section starts.

Edit: I feel like the word 'glass' was somewhere in that quote... ninja edit? :laugh:

Sounds better than being forced into Smokes Burrito or Pizza Pizza. Besides you have HD monitors you can even see the nosehairs.

I sat front row once, it's not fun unless you're a baboon banging on the glass. Boxes are awesome, I miss the days of free tickets and the team on the verge of bankrupcy... sortof

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Actually I've sat within 5 rows of the glass a few times now, and while the sightlines aren't always the best -- the sounds of the game more than make up for it.

Was in the 200s for this year's Game 6. The view was great, but I almost think I'd rather be near the glass.

Never had a chance to be in a box for a game though.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Actually I've sat within 5 rows of the glass a few times now, and while the sightlines aren't always the best -- the sounds of the game more than make up for it.

Was in the 200s for this year's Game 6. The view was great, but I almost think I'd rather be near the glass.

Never had a chance to be in a box for a game though.

Sitting on the glass is something every hockey fan should do at least once. You get a great appreciation for the speed and sounds of the game and having someone get checked into the boards in front of your face is not too terrible. Typically, I'd rather be a bit higher up for the view and the value for the dollar.

With the new Bell Club installed, can non-Club ticket holders in the 100 section still do a loop around the entire concourse, or is it now blocked off at the end? Curious if it has any impact on the concourse.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Haha, no, there was never any glass in that post.

I did know there were rows of regular seats in front of Club Bell, but it still bugs me that it's in that section. Just feels very Hunger Games-ish to me. :P

I guess I was just a little loopy last night :laugh:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
With the new Bell Club installed, can non-Club ticket holders in the 100 section still do a loop around the entire concourse, or is it now blocked off at the end? Curious if it has any impact on the concourse.

From what I read, Club Bell extends all the way back to the edge of the footprint of the building. I'm guessing the days of doing a lap around the concourse at intermission are over.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Sitting on the glass is something every hockey fan should do at least once. You get a great appreciation for the speed and sounds of the game and having someone get checked into the boards in front of your face is not too terrible. Typically, I'd rather be a bit higher up for the view and the value for the dollar.

It sounded like it to me. They're modelling this idea from another stadium around the nhl.

Also on the topic 100 levels are not overpriced compared to other Canadian teams, but still not affordable for most on a regular basis.

Though I can usually find a good deal for a less desirable team on stub hub.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Looks cool, will probably try and get a couple tickets 2nd hand to check out the new section.

It's also not 'cool' to pick on smokers, what's cool is not allowing idiots to pollute the air around us with their bad habits. Anything that results in less cigarettes being smoked is a win in my books.

Lol those "idiots" will probably smoke in bathrooms, stair wells, and other hidden spots. Probably why there's extra security!

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa

No you can no longer walk around the concourse in the 100's. Club Bell is at the far end of the rink from the front gates, believe it's section 113-107 or something like that. It's going to be super nice though, if you're lucky enough to score seats in there. The seats all come with dinner as well, should be kind of like the Dodge Club if anyone has ever been there, booze will be extra.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Lol those "idiots" will probably smoke in bathrooms, stair wells, and other hidden spots. Probably why there's extra security!

Which is why it's dumb. It's a simple solution, keep smokers out of the way. Majority of smokers I know, will gladly go stand farther away in order to not smoke near others.

Fix the balcony on the 200's and let them go back there, that way non smokers don't have to walk through a crowd of smokers and smokers won't have to break the law in order to have a puff.

People can complain about smokers and how there should be less cigarettes and all, but the reality is they are here to stay.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Did anyone go last night? How was getting in with the new metal detectors?

I did. No more Tim Hortons. You can get Tim Hortons coffee (but no donut stuff) at Express canteen outlets. But they put creamers and sugar by mustard and kethup dispensers.... That'll go well.

Still no warm water in the bathrooms.

Someone decided to put the Fat Boys in the 200/300 corner and the line to get food in an already narrowed part of the concourse... Directly across from a mens bathroom line. There were only maybe 11000 people there last night but in a normal crowd that is going to be a bottleneck beyond belief. Epic failure of planning.

There is a slush puppy machine in the 200/300 end with a popcorn cart. Unfortunately it was not operating for this game. I am down with Slush Puppies!

The entrance line wasn't too bad with the detectors. There are 12/14 of them. I think it is silly or actually absurd to have them... But I do doubt it will cause too many problems in crowds getting in.

More TV screens above some of the concession stands. Which is cool. If you are in line once the game starts you can watch the game.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I did. No more Tim Hortons. You can get Tim Hortons coffee (but no donut stuff) at Express canteen outlets. But they put creamers and sugar by mustard and kethup dispensers.... That'll go well.

Still no warm water in the bathrooms.

Someone decided to put the Fat Boys in the 200/300 corner and the line to get food in an already narrowed part of the concourse... Directly across from a mens bathroom line. There were only maybe 11000 people there last night but in a normal crowd that is going to be a bottleneck beyond belief. Epic failure of planning.

There is a slush puppy machine in the 200/300 end with a popcorn cart. Unfortunately it was not operating for this game. I am down with Slush Puppies!

The entrance line wasn't too bad with the detectors. There are 12/14 of them. I think it is silly or actually absurd to have them... But I do doubt it will cause too many problems in crowds getting in.

More TV screens above some of the concession stands. Which is cool. If you are in line once the game starts you can watch the game.

Yeah seems like we won't really know how it is until opening night.

Although in the case of the fat boys, will it be worse than the 100's? I've always found it gets so crowded down there, that I find when your on the 200 level, it's never really all that bad.

Depends on how popular that place gets I guess.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Metal detectors = changing times sadly... but after a while it'll just be the norm.

I went to a few Panthers games a year ago in Sunrise, FLA - saw NYR, PHI, and PIT vs. the lowly Panthers for about the price of half a Sens ticket (all 3 games, about $10 each, sit where you want essentially)... first time having to go through metal detectors at the doors, and it was no big deal... I just thought it was FLA, being gun crazy and what not... that being said, it was late November and I was in shorts and a tshirt waiting in line outside... different than February -40 at the CTC... it certainly does change the feeling of the 'lobby' of a rink... much less fun, more business.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I can't count the number of times I've been to the CTC and I had absolutely no idea that you were previously allowed to re-enter the arena after leaving. I didn't even think to try and had no reason to I suppose. You learn something new every day, although in this case it is after it's no longer possible.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
If pat downs are going to be rare I can foresee sales of plastic flasks going up in this city for game nights.
Buy a pop and mix your own. Save yourself 23-50 bucks...or more.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I can't count the number of times I've been to the CTC and I had absolutely no idea that you were previously allowed to re-enter the arena after leaving. I didn't even think to try and had no reason to I suppose. You learn something new every day, although in this case it is after it's no longer possible.

It affects smokers. They left for five minutes and had their tickets swiped in and out when they did between periods.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
So I went through the metal detector tonight at the game. I failed and it flashed red. Maybe my belt? The chain I wore? So I stand there for awhile waiting for someone to wand me or ask me to go through again... But no one notices. After a bit I walked away.

Pretty ineffectial security. If you are making everyone go through metal detectors... Might as well do something when it goes off?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So I went through the metal detector tonight at the game. I failed and it flashed red. Maybe my belt? The chain I wore? So I stand there for awhile waiting for someone to wand me or ask me to go through again... But no one notices. After a bit I walked away.

Pretty ineffectial security. If you are making everyone go through metal detectors... Might as well do something when it goes off?

So all we're getting is slower lines with the same level of security.

Fantastic.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So all we're getting is slower lines with the same level of security.

Fantastic.

Has anybody actually felt threatened enough at a sporting event (let alone an Ottawa sporting event) to justify this kind of security?

It has to be either insurance or PR motivated bs. It is stupid.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The things is, if somebody wants to blow people up he'll blow people up. By putting security in an airport, a sporting event etc, all you're doing at best is moving the location of the blow up somewhere else. Now you may feel safer at the airport, but you should feel more in danger everywhere else!

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Has anybody actually felt threatened enough at a sporting event (let alone an Ottawa sporting event) to justify this kind of security?

I GUARANTEE you this is to help beer sales. We used to bring in 4 tallboys in our belt and watch people all around us bring tall boys out of their belts too.

Then they started wanding. So we would run out to the parking lot at intermission and pound one back.

Now this. You cant stop me! I have festival shorts! :sarcasm:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I GUARANTEE you this is to help beer sales. We used to bring in 4 tallboys in our belt and watch people all around us bring tall boys out of their belts too.

It is mandated by the league now. All 30 teams.

There's no way we would have done it otherwise, because those machines are hella-expensive. Heck, we didn't even buy new ones, we bought them used from the PanAm Games. We basically did the league minimum of what the league required us to do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad