CTC Summer Upgrades Revealed

WilderPegasus*

As if being "wanded" and the odd pat down wasn't bad enough. Having metal detectors is pretty disgusting. What has been getting in to NHL arenas to make metal detectors a necessity?

But the wanding and pat downs are more or less going away. It's not a big deal.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
But the wanding and pat downs are more or less going away. It's not a big deal.

Yeah really not a big deal to most and frankly i welcome it, strange that people still don't understand with all the things that have gone on in public places recently that these steps are 100% necessary if not only for insurance purposes. Perhaps not in here but many claiming this is too harsh would be the first to threaten with lawsuits social media attacks etc... if and when something goes down.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah but he didn't shoot anyone.

Uhhh, so you would allow guns in as long as people promise not to shoot anyone? The intention of the person is totally irrelevant. The fact is that the gun got into the building easily, thus the threat is there if a person did have any bad intentions.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Uhhh, so you would allow guns in as long as people promise not to shoot anyone? The intention of the person is totally irrelevant. The fact is that the gun got into the building easily, thus the threat is there if a person did have any bad intentions.

Well, they have warning before the games not to throw things onto the ice. I can see that sort of strategy working.

"Don't shoot anyone, ok?"

It's a foolproof plan.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Based on your post, I feel like you are outraged just for the sake of being outraged.

Re: security, it is definitely not tighter than airport security. You don't take your belt or shoes off. Also, this is a league-wide thing, it's not just the Sens. Ya, it's going to be a pain, but there is no point being upset over a league-wide change when it comes to safety.

Re: re-entry, There were like two places last year to go for a dart (so it's not even fresh air anyway). When I've done it, it ends up being way more of a hassle than it is worth. Might suck in a long playoff game, though, but that is almost a non-concern. I think Smash88 said in the Visiting CTC thread, where this was actually discussed already, it's cool to pick on smokers now. So there will be a fair amount of complaints and head-aches for the ushers. But what can you do.

There are going to be people sneaking puffs away in the washrooms and stairwells. Im not a smoker anymore, but I can't blame them.

Metal detectors are jsut silly . . . fear mongering nonsense. I wonder how many different companies are installing these metal detectors throughout the league.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
They should also make helmets mandatory for all spectators in the rink. Remember that girl who died a few years ago after puck hit her in the head?
Seems like a no-brainer.

Ttracer*

They want control of everything, nothing to do with safety and security. What a joke

WilderPegasus*

They want control of everything, nothing to do with safety and security. What a joke

stopwhining.jpg

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Someone once called these kinds of measures "security theatre" and it's hard to disagree. Basically, it's a show to make everyone feel better. I think it's ridiculous, and the fact that it is league mandated doesn't make it any less dumb. What problem are they trying to solve? What issue has come up at a Sens game that would warrant this?

On the positive side, nice to see the other enhancements. It's actually a pretty good building in which to see a game, and we proved late last year that we can create atmosphere in it...

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Unbelievable, this is what happens when your owner is broke. Once again Murray missed the boat on this one and these new upgrades are ridiculous. What happened to this country? smh.

I'm 100% serious btw

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Someone once called these kinds of measures "security theatre" and it's hard to disagree. Basically, it's a show to make everyone feel better. I think it's ridiculous, and the fact that it is league mandated doesn't make it any less dumb. What problem are they trying to solve? What issue has come up at a Sens game that would warrant this?

On the positive side, nice to see the other enhancements. It's actually a pretty good building in which to see a game, and we proved late last year that we can create atmosphere in it...

We prove it every playoffs, but ya, regular season wise, for sure.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I wonder if there would be a conflict of interest in doing that while Phillips is still under contract.

If Pronger can work for the NHL while still collecting salary from the Flyers I'm sure something could be worked out.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm more baffled by the removal of affordable(well, somewhat) seats in order to cater to the richer fans personally. I mean I know it's all about the money but it seems a little strange to plop loges right in the 100s behind the net.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm more baffled by the removal of affordable(well, somewhat) seats in order to cater to the richer fans personally. I mean I know it's all about the money but it seems a little strange to plop loges right in the 100s behind the net.

Not a big deal IMO. I wouldn't consider 100 level seats 'affordable' either. The building is likely about 1500 seats too large, so this cuts down on the number of seats while likely making the same amount of money (if not more?). Removing expensive seats for less, but even more expensive, seats is no big loss. The building still has the same amount of cheap seats. Plus, it's not like you're going to put Club Bell in the 300's.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't smoke anymore, so doesn't personally affect me, but it's still a real dumb thing to do. This will cause more problems than if they just left it the same as before.

Perhaps they should put in a fenced yard to let the inmates walk around, smoking or not, in the fresh outside air! :)

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Looks cool, will probably try and get a couple tickets 2nd hand to check out the new section.

It's also not 'cool' to pick on smokers, what's cool is not allowing idiots to pollute the air around us with their bad habits. Anything that results in less cigarettes being smoked is a win in my books.

Ttracer*

Spend 15 million I expect a new HD scoreboard, not just ban smokers, some new fast food, and upgraded Bell club!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I grew up in an era where, from the age of four or five, you could go out an play and ride your bike with friends as far as your legs could carry you...without any parents. Where you could walk alone to kindergarten and your 'alarm clock' to get home was the street lights.

Really sad how society has changed. With all these security measures, it really feels like the bad guys of the world have won. Plus, I strongly believe that it won't stop any lone wolf types out there, whether it's in the school or anywhere in public.

Beam me up, Scotty. :(

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Not a big deal IMO. I wouldn't consider 100 level seats 'affordable' either. The building is likely about 1500 seats too large, so this cuts down on the number of seats while likely making the same amount of money (if not more?). Removing expensive seats for less, but even more expensive, seats is no big loss. The building still has the same amount of cheap seats. Plus, it's not like you're going to put Club Bell in the 300's.

Which 100s are gone? I got tickets to the McDavid Cup (the game that basically pretty much started our run) for about 90 bucks on the glass beside the players off StubHub last season.
And there are places that do have the club sections up in the 'nosebleeds' just because they're there for schmoozing and watching the game on TVs anyway, rather than worrying about what's going on directly on the ice.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Which 100s are gone? I got tickets to the McDavid Cup (the game that basically pretty much started our run) for about 90 bucks on the glass beside the players off StubHub last season.
And there are places that do have the club sections up in the 'nosebleeds' just because they're there for schmoozing and watching the game on TVs anyway, rather than worrying about what's going on directly on the ice.

It's at one end of the ice behind the net.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Club Bell is at one of the ends of the arena (not sure which), in the high 100's.

And ya, through a series of unusual events I ended up in Bruce Firestone's 400 level box once (yep he still has a box). You can't see crap from up there and you are basically busy eating food and drinking Corona's in suits, but it's a good time.

It's at one end of the ice behind the net.

No, looking at the video there are 7 rows of muggle seats behind the glass before the primo section starts.

Edit: I feel like the word 'glass' was somewhere in that quote... ninja edit? :laugh:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Club Bell is at one of the ends of the arena (not sure which), in the high 100's.

And ya, through a series of unusual events I ended up in Bruce Firestone's 400 level box once (yep he still has a box). You can't see crap from up there and you are basically busy eating food and drinking Corona's in suits, but it's a good time.

No, looking at the video there are 7 rows of muggle seats behind the glass before the primo section starts.

Edit: I feel like the word 'glass' was somewhere in that quote... ninja edit? :laugh:

Haha, no, there was never any glass in that post.

I did know there were rows of regular seats in front of Club Bell, but it still bugs me that it's in that section. Just feels very Hunger Games-ish to me. :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad