Crosby leapfrogs Lemieux in all-time playoff points

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Gordie Howe would have a heart attack just trying to strip Crosby of the puck. Your stances are hilariously dinosaur-esque.

That is ridiculous, Howe was a special athlete (to the point that for some part of is career some picture look a bit like a photoshop):

dynamic_resize

Even by time machine logic, after getting adjusted to equipment and shift time he would play today without any problem and he certainly would not have any issue being among the best in being an elite athlete type.

45 year's old Howe:
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/...ages/1974-Gordie-Howe-06003416.jpg&w=800&q=85

Do you think that guy would have problem keeping up with today player while using modern training ?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have read on HF. Unless this guy is an NHL team trainer...
Best players in the world today. Very solid mid section, strong legs. Nothing in the chest area and arms are twigs. Don't think it's a secret that today's game is much more about speed than upper body strength.

ac533699b29912d8ed4df74e6ab27931--sidney-crosby-muscular-men.jpg
dynamic_resize

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Best players in the world today. Very solid mid section, strong legs. Nothing in the chest area and arms are twigs. Don't think it's a secret that today's game is much more about speed than upper body strength.

You are right, and Howe would use modern training like modern player, the general point is that everything seem to point that Howe was a freak of nature, a special athlete, no reason to believe he would not have been elite in any era.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
You are right, and Howe would use modern training like modern player, the general point is that everything seem to point that Howe was a freak of nature, a special athlete, no reason to believe he would not have been elite in any era.
Freak athlete for sure and one of the greatest hockey players of all time.

Comparing him to Crosby is incredibly subjective.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have read on HF.

Unless Laineux has inspected every single NHL players upper body while their shirt is off...

We have pictures of the best players Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Malkin etc all with their shirts off.

What @Laineux said is correct and has been discussed in depth on this forum already

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

ac533699b29912d8ed4df74e6ab27931--sidney-crosby-muscular-men.jpg
dynamic_resize
Little bit of hyperbole there. They aren't power lifter jacked in the chest/arms, but they look like they have a functional amount of strength.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

These debates are silly. People act like the speed focus style of today won’t change in the future. Maybe in 30 years we’ll be talking about how McDavid’s speed would be a liability and he wouldn’t be able to adjust.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
These debates are silly. People act like the speed focus style of today won’t change in the future. Maybe in 30 years we’ll be talking about how McDavid’s speed would be a liability and he wouldn’t be able to adjust.

Speed can't be a liability on this sport, ever.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I’d imagine the same argument could be said about Howe’s level of fitness too. That’s why these debates over elite/freakish athletes not being able to compete in other eras are silly, which was my point.

I actually agree with you. Pretty sure these guys would have made it in any era.

Where I don't agree is when you try to compare eras. I think Gretzky would have been the most dominant forward, had he played in the 00s, but he would never have cracked the 200+ points, never mind 4 times.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Just because a player has a jacked upper body that doesn't mean he skips leg day. I'm sure Howe had freakish lower body strength as well.
But having more upper body mass makes it more difficult to get up to speed aka makes you slower. The pictures of Howe just further illustrate how far behind the 50s were compared to the modern game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Really? Give him the wooden stick and 1000 lbs. equipment, with no helmet, make him play with the red line against two handers from the likes of Lindsay and Richard, and he wouldn't last a season.
Because as history shows, athletes have always been better in the past. Progress doesn't exist. Etc.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Because as history shows, athletes have always been better in the past. Progress doesn't exist. Etc.

Exactly. Hockey being the one sport where point totals will never be touched so some think we have already seen the best to ever play. Yet in the NFL for example, with it being a passing league now...you got people saying Matt Ryan is a better QB than Joe Montana.

Thats why you cant just look at numbers. And I realize its hard to ignore that...but you have to factor in everything else.

Reactions: harmonica

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Exactly. Hockey being the one sport where point totals will never be touched so some think we have already seen the best to ever play. Yet in the NFL for example, with it being a passing league now...you got people saying Matt Ryan is a better QB than Joe Montana.

Thats why you cant just look at numbers. And I realize its hard to ignore that...but you have to factor in everything else.
I don't think it's the only sport, but I understand your point.

The main thing that people just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that each generation, in theory, should be better than the last. Not just the best players, but the entire level. Comparing across generations is silly. Natural progression is a thing and it exists everywhere (not just sports); each successive generation just has access to more tools, more experience, more knowledge and especially with the difference in society in general (the money in sports, exposure, technology, etc) of course that's going to create a different level of athlete, player, coach etc. It also means they have to compete with better and better systems, players, equipment, rule changes, etc.

Romanticism and nostalgia are crazy drugs though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think this is a very relevant discussion, but just as a side comment, large upper body muscles like Howe's don't fit today's game at all.

Disagree.It's not like Howe's upper body muscles were so big that it limited his movements.And I'm sure Howe had strong legs too, come on.This is ridiculous.

Just look at Lindros.Do you think he would struggle? Of course not.Howe would dominate today's game.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Disagree.It's not like Howe's upper body muscles were so big that it limited his movements.And I'm sure Howe had strong legs too, come on.This is ridiculous.

Just look at Lindros.Do you think he would struggle? Of course not.Howe would dominate today's game.
Large upper body muscles are not ideal for today's game and Lindros and Howe would be thinner and quicker if they played today.

I don't care about discussing whether time machined players would struggle or not, it's just stupid.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't think it's the only sport, but I understand your point.

The main thing that people just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that each generation, in theory, should be better than the last. Not just the best players, but the entire level. Comparing across generations is silly. Natural progression is a thing and it exists everywhere (not just sports); each successive generation just has access to more tools, more experience, more knowledge and especially with the difference in society in general (the money in sports, exposure, technology, etc) of course that's going to create a different level of athlete, player, coach etc. It also means they have to compete with better and better systems, players, equipment, rule changes, etc.

Romanticism and nostalgia are crazy drugs though.

Yeah the amount of overall talent now in every sport blows away what we saw in the past. We are seeing that in the NHL right now where the 4th line grinders with little skill are being fazed out of the league. Seeing it in the NFL where speed is taking over , making the prototypical LBs of the past...obsolete . Talent is better..players are faster..etc.

But obviously there were those who in the past who were way above others in their era. And those guys are the ones who could play in any era..people just have to realize the numbers wouldnt be the same.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad