Confirmed with Link: Craig Anderson signs 2-year extension with Senators

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well if we won’t spend money, and won’t keep Karlsson, isn’t there a good chance this happens anyway? :laugh:
Either way imo... EK, Stone, Duchene, Ceci all need to be signed and will want close to market value .. they won't be able to keep everyone or if we include paying Ryan he will have a pile of dough wrapped up in a few players.

That pick is already lost ... gonzo... we finish where we finish.. I don't see any quick improvements to the team

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He got the contract as a show of support to he and his wife who had been battling a severe illness.
I hope this was simply a handshake contract (Thanks for supporting me, here's some money Andy) and that he'll be gone after this. Management is pretty scared of rocking the boat though, so kinda scared.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Goaltending can be crazy sometimes. Hell Condon could end up being really solid next year, you never know.

I feel like a lot of decisions are contingent on other decisions. It will starts with Erik.
Agreed. I was rooting for the Jets. Now, although I’v lost most interest, I hope the Caps take it. At the same time, I completely admire MAF’s goaltending.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well if we won’t spend money, and won’t keep Karlsson, isn’t there a good chance this happens anyway? :laugh:

Exactly. If we're not going to pay to play, then there's really no point. Need to shell out for better quality coaching, front office, etc before we even think of handing out more money for players. Hell, if we can't even hire a full office staff...what's the point?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Either way imo... EK, Stone, Duchene, Ceci all need to be signed and will want close to market value .. they won't be able to keep everyone or if we include paying Ryan he will have a pile of dough wrapped up in a few players.

That pick is already lost ... gonzo... we finish where we finish.. I don't see any quick improvements to the team

I agree. There is little to base projected improvements on so we will not see quick improvements.

I understand the issue of paying a team’s better players market value; however, the market value of the Senator’s collection of players should be lower than most other teams because of the atrocious results this year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He got the contract as a show of support to he and his wife who had been battling a severe illness.
I hope this was simply a handshake contract (Thanks for supporting me, here's some money Andy) and that he'll be gone after this. Management is pretty scared of rocking the boat though, so kinda scared.

I don’t think the Senators gave Anderson his new contract because of his wife’s illness. The GM gave him the contract because he thought Anderson would continue to perform well. Dorion screwed up. Then he compounded it by signing Condon. Too much money committed to goaltenders for a budget team. I think a Dorion was trying to solidify the goaltending for a playoff run. He misjudged the situation.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don’t think the Senators gave Anderson his new contract because of his wife’s illness. The GM gave him the contract because he thought Anderson would continue to perform well. Dorion screwed up. Then he compounded it by signing Condon. Too much money committed to goaltenders for a budget team. I think a Dorion was trying to solidify the goaltending for a playoff run. He misjudged the situation.

That and loyalty to long term Sens players. Saw the same thing with Neil, Phillips, Michalek.

This team is too sentimental. Then not only do they re-sign these guys, they give them multi year deals, and when/if they suck, we’re stuck with them since no one in their right mind wants them.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That and loyalty to long term Sens players. Saw the same thing with Neil, Phillips, Michalek.

This team is too sentimental. Then not only do they re-sign these guys, they give them multi year deals, and when/if they suck, we’re stuck with them since no one in their right mind wants them.

ya I agree on the loyalty issue but the flip side for some in here seems to be we're too cheap to sign our olayers. exhibit a kyle Turris.

idk...maybe we are spoiled. ... if we miss the playoffs again this coming season that will be 2 years in a row for the first time since the 95 and 96 seasons. That's a good run. I think it is a pretty small group of teams to put that kind of run up.

what we need is a group of 3 or 4 quality guys playing the majority of their careers here at the same time to go on another long run. hopefully we've got some of that already.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Same usual suspects huh?

Nice necro quote.

If Anderson comes in this year and plays well, it's not a bad deal at all. It's still below average for a goalie of his calibre.

It's really not that bad of a deal, I don't understand the griping. There is no one else to replace him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice necro quote.

If Anderson comes in this year and plays well, it's not a bad deal at all.

It will be interesting to see if he bounces back. He didn't get a lot of help this year, particularly after the first quarter of the season, and both goalies being terrible at the same time might not be a coincidence.

One thing is for sure, he'll come to camp with something to prove.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It will be interesting to see if he bounces back. He didn't get a lot of help this year, particularly after the first quarter of the season, and both goalies being terrible at the same time might not be a coincidence.

Looking at the "advance stats" way back in the mid-season, Anderson was facing some of the most high quality scoring chances against in the league.

I mean, he still wasn't good at all, but it was interesting.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looking at the "advance stats" way back in the mid-season, Anderson was facing some of the most high quality scoring chances against in the league.

I mean, he still wasn't good at all, but it was interesting.

So, at 16 games into the season, here's where Ottawa was in terms of SCA/60, HDCA/60 and Sv% all at 5v5

SCA/60: 24.47/60, ranked 5th lowest in the league
HDCA/60: 9.01/60, ranked 3rd lowest in the league
CA/60: 59.95/60, ranked 27th lowest in the league.
SV%: 90.68%, 3rd worst in the league.

In the remaining 66 games, here's how we fared,

SCA/60: 29.12/60, ranked 27th lowest in the league
HDCA/60: 11.37/60, ranked 21st lowest in the league
CA/60: 62.56/60, ranked 29th lowest in the league.
SV%: 90.85%, 2nd worst in the league.

He was bad when we were playing alright (we still had our issues even though on the aggregate we kept quality chances down) and he was bad when we were terrible. The quality of chances against didn't have all that big of an impact on the teams sv% numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So, at 16 games into the season, here's where Ottawa was in terms of SCA/60, HDCA/60 and Sv% all at 5v5

SCA/60: 24.47/60, ranked 5th lowest in the league
HDCA/60: 9.01/60, ranked 3rd lowest in the league
CA/60: 59.95/60, ranked 27th lowest in the league.
SV%: 90.68%, 3rd worst in the league.

In the remaining 66 games, here's how we fared,

SCA/60: 29.12/60, ranked 27th lowest in the league
HDCA/60: 11.37/60, ranked 21st lowest in the league
CA/60: 62.56/60, ranked 29th lowest in the league.
SV%: 90.85%, 2nd worst in the league.

He was bad when we were playing alright (we still had our issues even though on the aggregate we kept quality chances down) and he was bad when we were terrible. The quality of chances against didn't have all that big of an impact on the teams sv% numbers.

I have to look it up, but I was looking at dsv% on corsica earlier in the year, that's what I was basing it off of.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have to look it up, but I was looking at dsv% on corsica earlier in the year, that's what I was basing it off of.

I can never get season splits to work with Corsica, so I rarely use it. The data is great, the interface in my experience is complete crap and glitches out all the time.

That said, there are definately issues with SCA and HDCA data, but by the mid point of the season, Ottawa was already in the bottom third of the league in SCA and HDCA despite having a very strong start over the first 16 or so games.

Point being there was definitely a substantial change in the quality of chances against after 15-20 games.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The contract is the issue. Stop blaming Melnyk for everything. Wake up and realize that our management sucks too.
The problem with having no money is that you always have to try and get something done through the bargin bin...

If you think there would be a goale available that has Andersons resume,and would be willing to sign in Ottawa for 2 seasons or less ,at the dollar amount he received...Then I dont think its me that needs to wake up

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You can add Luongo to that list. Andy is the second oldest starter in the league with Luongo being the oldest.

All these unforced errors have been happening since the Murray era; we’ve been making the most simplest of mistakes that add up. A full management overhaul is needed IMO.
Humm wonder why our managers ,cant seem to piece together playoff teams every year ..Face we got what EM paid for

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

It does not help the goaltenders to have a coach who thinks the neutral zone is where to stop the opponent advancing, instead of forechecking to take away the other team’s time and space for launching their attack. It results in more shots against and GA with less shots for and GF.

This team needs a coach who encourages the forwards to forecheck in the O zone. Of course it also needs players who can play an offensive game there. So the GM needs a kick in the keister too for allowing the O-zone challenged strategy and roster building.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I can never get season splits to work with Corsica, so I rarely use it. The data is great, the interface in my experience is complete crap and glitches out all the time.

That said, there are definately issues with SCA and HDCA data, but by the mid point of the season, Ottawa was already in the bottom third of the league in SCA and HDCA despite having a very strong start over the first 16 or so games.

Point being there was definitely a substantial change in the quality of chances against after 15-20 games.

so what caused that increase. I suspect a good part of it was a combo of EK wearing out after the first 10 games of adrenaline wearing off and the rest of the league realizing he could be had.

I suspect the data looks better the ast 20 games when he was playing better?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
so what caused that increase. I suspect a good part of it was a combo of EK wearing out after the first 10 games of adrenaline wearing off and the rest of the league realizing he could be had.

I suspect the data looks better the ast 20 games when he was playing better?

I checked the last 25 games (I'm on mobile, and the have a quick filter for last ten or 25 but not 20) and it's no better, but we had a lot of guys out to finish the year not to mention trading off Phaneuf and Brassard so there are too many moving parts to identify a cause effect relation. I don't really think karlsson was the problem tbh, he wasn't good in his first 10 games aside from having a lot more puck luck. To me there was a pretty marked change in the play shortly after the European trip. I think part of it was losing morale during the slump. The side show around the Turris trade combined with Duchene struggling to produce didn't likely help either.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The problem with having no money is that you always have to try and get something done through the bargin bin...

If you think there would be a goale available that has Andersons resume,and would be willing to sign in Ottawa for 2 seasons or less ,at the dollar amount he received...Then I dont think its me that needs to wake up

...and that is the problem with the Sens.

For the most part, you don't need to have a goalie with a great resume to squeeze a couple good seasons out of him. Goalies work completely differently from skaters. Even the top guys like Holtby, Price, Bishop, etc, look like crap part of the time, or fail badly in the playoffs.

Instead of finding a goalie with a long resume, find one that fits your system. Some goalies work best with a tight defensive system where they get 20 shots a night....others work best when they're always busy. Some are great with primary shots, but need defense who are great at clearing rebounds. Some goalies work best when the team blocks a lot of shots. Some work best when skaters stay on their feet and he can make all the saves.

Identify and stick with a system, then find the proper goalie to fill it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad