Confirmed with Link: Craig Anderson signs 2-year extension with Senators

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd be interested to know if the team is doing anything different with respect to it's goalies this offseason.

We've seen some guys have tremendous bounce back seasons in the past after changing up what they were doing; a couple notable example, Dubnyk and Hellebuyck both trained with net360 and overhauled their technique for the better. Niemi credits working with Stéphane Waite for his bounce back.

Having not changed out goalie coach (yet?) I hope they are doing something to bring in a fresh voice, or method for Condon and Andy, because they both lost their confidence last year in a big way.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Meh ,Andy had a rough year but he will bounce back...Its not as if he recieved much help last season,people need to stop crying about his contract....He has a short term deal ,and there isnt anything else that would come close to what Andy can bring on the F/A market or through trade

There is no guarantee he bounces back.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, while it's true goalies "age" a bit differently from skaters, once you hit age 35 and beyond, you're going to slide downhill in any pro sports league. Andy might rebound a bit next year, but his best days are behind him.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm hoping goalie is something we address this summer as well. Anderson turned 37 yesterday so he's not getting younger. Be nice to get a younger backup than Condon who is 28.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm hoping goalie is something we address this summer as well. Anderson turned 37 yesterday so he's not getting younger. Be nice to get a younger backup than Condon who is 28.

The issue with Condon as a backup isn't his age, from that perspective, he's fine imo. The problem is he's paid as though he has starter upside. If he had stepped up and stole the show when Andy faltered, nobody would be complaining about his age or contract, even if he was just average. We have some good prospects, but they aren't ready for backup duties quite yet, so a backup in their late 20's makes a good stopgap.

Here's hoping Andy bounces back, I feel we need about 2 more good years before one of Hogberg or Gustafsson is ready

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'd be interested to know if the team is doing anything different with respect to it's goalies this offseason.

We've seen some guys have tremendous bounce back seasons in the past after changing up what they were doing; a couple notable example, Dubnyk and Hellebuyck both trained with net360 and overhauled their technique for the better. Niemi credits working with Stéphane Waite for his bounce back.

Having not changed out goalie coach (yet?) I hope they are doing something to bring in a fresh voice, or method for Condon and Andy, because they both lost their confidence last year in a big way.
Based on Anderson's track record, it's obvious we have two sets of goalie coaches that alternate every year. :sarcasm:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The issue with Condon as a backup isn't his age, from that perspective, he's fine imo. The problem is he's paid as though he has starter upside. If he had stepped up and stole the show when Andy faltered, nobody would be complaining about his age or contract, even if he was just average. We have some good prospects, but they aren't ready for backup duties quite yet, so a backup in their late 20's makes a good stopgap.

Here's hoping Andy bounces back, I feel we need about 2 more good years before one of Hogberg or Gustafsson is ready

What they are paying Condon is ridiculous considering he’s nothing more than a backup. It’s even more ridiculous considering we’re a budget team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So is there any plan to improve the goaltending going into next year or is the 30th sv% team going with status quo hoping their 37-38 year old goaltender can improve drastically?

Or are we hoping career back up/journeyman condon can be a top goalie?

Or are we trying to stink up the league for a couple years for top picks?

What is the plan here guys?

Dorion’s plan is to make the playoffs with the current roster and 1 or 2 prospects.

The expected result is most likely not being in the playoffs and probably in the bottom quartile of the league with a very good chance for another top 5 pick.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So him getting a short term deal,isnt an issue now is it???

Well, there was no reason to give him a two year extension. Either give him one or nothing.

Not that I’m surprised when management f***s up though. We haven’t had a good GM since Marshall Johnston.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well, there was no reason to give him a two year extension. Either give him one or nothing.

Not that I’m surprised when management ****s up though. We haven’t had a good GM since Marshall Johnston.
Then he walks and we are stuck with a goaltender that we have to pay for longer and may not be as good ....Truth is the contract was never the issue it the fact our cheap ass owner wont spend to make a short term deal like this inconsequential

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Then he walks and we are stuck with a goaltender that we have to pay for longer and may not be as good ....Truth is the contract was never the issue it the fact our cheap ass owner wont spend to make a short term deal like this inconsequential
He would have been a free agent this July I believe. After this disaster of a season, Andy would have came much cheaper on a one year deal.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
the only goalies ive seen do really well in the couple years approaching 40 have been hall of fame goalies who were practically always good(guys like roy,brodeur, belfour, cujo) could steal a playoff series at 37 or 38. I don't see anderson as one of those guys.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He would have been a free agent this July I believe. After this disaster of a season, Andy would have came much cheaper on a one year deal.

The smart teams keep offering 1 year deals to their old guys after the season. Not sign an aging guy to a multi year deal before the season. It just seems like such a stupid gamble that will almost always look bad in the end. And they're supposed to be professionals lol.

Like you said, if they do worse and worse you keep offering them less and less each summer until they no longer belong.

The senators moto is to go for multiple years with the old guys. They did it with neil. They did it with phillips. I don't know why. You'd think they learn...after 35, start offering 1 year deals AFTER the season to make sure they still have the ability. If they have a decent season and leave at free agent, theyre almost 40 and have like 1 year left in them anyways so you're not missing much.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

The contract is the issue. Stop blaming Melnyk for everything. Wake up and realize that our management sucks too.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Same usual suspects will hate this deal.

I like it, it's a 2 year deal, doesn't handcuff us at all. This is below average for a goalie like Anderson.

He hasn't shown any signs of declining, not sure where people are getting that worry from.

Same usual suspects huh?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
the only goalies ive seen do really well in the couple years approaching 40 have been hall of fame goalies who were practically always good(guys like roy,brodeur, belfour, cujo) could steal a playoff series at 37 or 38. I don't see anderson as one of those guys.
You can add Luongo to that list. Andy is the second oldest starter in the league with Luongo being the oldest.

All these unforced errors have been happening since the Murray era; we’ve been making the most simplest of mistakes that add up. A full management overhaul is needed IMO.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well you look at the current free agent crop and there’s nothing really good out there. Maybe Niemi or Khudobin if he even makes it to UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad