Confirmed with Link: Craig Anderson signs 2-year extension with Senators

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm a bit surprised tbh. I thought we'd let things play out a little longer before re-signing him.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yea, I don't understand extending an aging player right before the season starts. Why not just sign him to an appropriate contract at the end of the year, or midway through when he's proving he still has it.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I am happy with this, Andy has been great for the team on the ice and off the ice, especially this past season.
I am a big fan of his. Now we can worry about goaltending in a couple seasons as opposed to during the EK negotiations.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
happy with this singing because he's still one of the best in the NHL and he seems to have a ton left in the tank. We know for sure next year he'll be a top NHL goalie, and we can worry about year 2 in 3 years.

Considering Steve Mason signed essentially the same contract Andy got, this is a value signing in my eyes. A team desperate for a win now goalie (Calgary, Winnipeg, maybe Toronto, maybe Tampa) would of hoped all over 2 years at this price for Andy.

Good job Dorion.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm glad this is done. The term and the way the dollars are structured is good for both. Andy's underrated.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Surprised by the timing but not against it. We'll see how things play out but I think Andy will be able to live up to the contract.

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
He's earned it. If he's out by the time, especially in the final quarter of the contract, it is the perfect time to test the waters with Hogberg. I think Andy is crucial for this team, both on ice and off ice, and it's worth it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't like it, simply because if Turris walks you look at this contract.

If we can't re-sign Turris because we are paying an above-average starting goalie an average starting goalie's wage, then it's not the goalie's wage that's the problem. We're already getting a slight discount at the position based on the current market rates.

If Turris walks, this is probably pretty low on the list of reasons why.

Reactions: YOW

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yea, I don't understand extending an aging player right before the season starts. Why not just sign him to an appropriate contract at the end of the year, or midway through when he's proving he still has it.

I mean it's not like a 37YR old Anderson would have commanded a significantly higher salary than 4.75M if he were to have had a great year in 2016/17. There's very little upside risk, but a ton of downside risk.

It's completely illogical. Just what I've come to expect from this management group.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Don't like it, simply because if Turris walks you look at this contract.

Turris walking won't be about short term money.

I'd guess we trade Condon next off season once his raise kicks in and promote one of Driedger or Hogberg. We're paying about 4.9M in real money for goaltending this year, We'd be paying 8M next year if we keep both Anderson and Condon. If we go with Anderson+Hogberg, it'd be closer to 6M which is only about 1M more than we're paying now.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Same usual suspects will hate this deal.

I like it, it's a 2 year deal, doesn't handcuff us at all. This is below average for a goalie like Anderson.

He hasn't shown any signs of declining, not sure where people are getting that worry from.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Same usual suspects will hate this deal.

I like it, it's a 2 year deal, doesn't handcuff us at all. This is below average for a goalie like Anderson.

He hasn't shown any signs of declining, not sure where people are getting that worry from.

Anderson was pretty bad the first two rounds of the playoffs. Was great in the Pittsburgh series but overall he had a questionable playoffs.

The deal will absolutely handcuff this team if Anderson regresses to the point where he's no longer a capable starting goalie, which should be expected, given that he's 36YRs old and is signed until he's 39YRs old.

Better hope Condon develops into a starter, or else we'll have around 7M locked up in two good backup goalies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Anderson was pretty bad the first two rounds of the playoffs. Was great in the Pittsburgh series but overall he had a questionable playoffs.

The deal will absolutely handcuff this team if Anderson regresses to the point where he's no longer a capable starting goalie, which should be expected, given that he's 36YRs old and is signed until he's 39YRs old.

Better hope Condon develops into a starter, or else we'll have around 7M locked up in two good backup goalies.

He outplayed 2 of the better goalies in the NHL in those series versus New York and Boston. Guess they aren't good either? I wouldn't say he had a questionable playoff, he was quite good, as he has been every year since joining Ottawa.

Why worry about him regressing when he hasn't showed anything that would suggest he will?

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->