Confirmed with Link: Craig Anderson signs 2-year extension with Senators

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
is Andy going to be a 5.5 million player next year? a 4 million player at 39? Seems long and high for a sunset contract. I would be more comfortable if I saw what he had in the tank this year

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don't care about the money. What I care about is that there is a full season ahead. What's the rush to sign him now?
We did that dumb thing with Boro, Greening and handed that massive contract to Ryan right before he fell apart.

please, they had to do that or else they would have been roasted for letting players walk and not signing anyone good.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
is Andy going to be a 5.5 million player next year? a 4 million player at 39? Seems long and high for a sunset contract. I would be more comfortable if I saw what he had in the tank this year

That depends on whether people understand the context of what constitutes a 5.5M starter and a 4M starter. He'll be 37 and 38. 5.5M is middle of the road starter salary while 4M is starter minimum wage.

So if Anderson can be a league average starter in year 1, and one of the least effective starters in year 2, purely from a salary perspective he'd be living up to his pay. Obviously, things aren't that black and white, and it'd be a huge disappointment if Anderson were to regress to being one of the worst starters in year 2 of the deal, but if you want context for his salary structure, there it is.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Well there is the obvious one who are trashing everything that management is doing. It's almost always the same people.. I feel you.

I'm not a fan of the 2y, but i understand why they are doing it, and i see both pros and cons of doing it right now. I would have wait a little longer, but if the contract talk are being Andy and he can focus on his game. Good thing !!

I am one of those that trash management, because I generally don't agree with 90% of the decisions Dorion has made. This one, however, is a deal I am completely in favor of. Andy is the best goaltender in the history of this franchise and he has yet to show any signs of a decline. The $$ amount and the term are perfect. This also buys Hogberg a couple more years.

The issue now become that Condon contract. That's a lot of money to be paying a goalie with very average career numbers. He was huge for us when Andy was away and without him, we would not have made the playoffs. BUT, to reward Condon with a 2.4 mil for the next 3 seasons is crazy. Gonna be a very difficult contract to move and you would think that Dorion and company would have learned from their mistake of rewarding a backup goalie with a big long term contract coming off the best season of his career. Where is that guy now? Oh, he is still eating up cap space and not playing. He is also the guy who has a better career save % than Mike Condon.

Reactions: DrEasy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't care about the money. What I care about is that there is a full season ahead. What's the rush to sign him now?
We did that dumb thing with Boro, Greening and handed that massive contract to Ryan right before he fell apart.

We are dangerously close to "doing that dumb thing" again with Boro.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I am one of those that trash management, because I generally don't agree with 90% of the decisions Dorion has made. This one, however, is a deal I am completely in favor of. Andy is the best goaltender in the history of this franchise and he has yet to show any signs of a decline. The $$ amount and the term are perfect. This also buys Hogberg a couple more years.

The issue now become that Condon contract. That's a lot of money to be paying a goalie with very average career numbers. He was huge for us when Andy was away and without him, we would not have made the playoffs. BUT, to reward Condon with a 2.4 mil for the next 3 seasons is crazy. Gonna be a very difficult contract to move and you would think that Dorion and company would have learned from their mistake of rewarding a backup goalie with a big long term contract coming off the best season of his career. Where is that guy now? Oh, he is still eating up cap space and not playing. He is also the guy who has a better career save % than Mike Condon.

well "generally" you are wrong 90% of the time then

Reactions: Brethers

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We have assets to turn over to reduce our cap this summer:

Hoff out and White in
Dzingel out and Formenton in
Condon out and Dreiger / Hogberg in
EK out Chabot in (just kidding but don't be surprised when it happens)

and don't be surprised if Ryan is packaged with EK in a trade this summer. That is one way to get rid of Ryan's contract

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Anderson single handily save me this franchise from being a lottery team for a few years

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Hoff out and White in

and don't be surprised if Ryan is packaged with EK in a trade this summer. That is one way to get rid of Ryan's contract

Hoff out?

Anyways, I don't understand why we did this so early.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
How did this become a thing with the Senators - Alfie, Methot for nothing, Spezza

I must've repressed the Alfie debacle from my memory. Good catch.

The others were not via free agency, but they are regrettable.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher was sunk in TB by a goalie who fell off a cliff in Dwayne Rolloson and the TB crease became a gong show.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Hoff out and White in

Hoffman is the last player we should be trading to make room. Hes a bargain and is arguably our best forward right there with Stone.

Your entire scenario is ridiculous, is this a joke/sarcasm im missing?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'm not sure why people want to wait till the end of the year, when he can get offers from other teams to sign him.

We just saw what happens when you do that with Condon this summer. That's why he's being paid more than he should.

I'd think there are teams that would go hard after Anderson. I would bet they would offer him a higher salary over 2 years then the one he just signed today.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Im very please with this signing, Andy deserves to get an extension, he loves the city and he loves to play for the Sens, and hes a top goaltender in this league. Good job Mr. Dorion :thumbu:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Boucher was sunk in TB by a goalie who fell off a cliff in Dwayne Rolloson and the TB crease became a gong show.

Roloson was also 42. If you want to deal in generalizations, Roloson lends credibility to the 'Anderson can play late into his 30s due to becoming a starter late in his career' theory.

There is without a doubt risk to this deal, but no one in this thread who has opposed it has offered a realistic alternative to signing Anderson to a two year extension.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's a good signing and I doubt he could have offered 1 year and gotten the signing.

Solid starting goalies at a reasonable cost are very hard to come by. Anderson has been the guy for years now. You bet on him over Condon and anyone else.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
good signing. Ever since Andy came to ottawa we haven't gone into the season with goaltending question marks like we did for so long (pretty much most of our senators history is marked with goaltender controversy. )

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Agreed. There was no risk waiting til the end of the year to extend him.

Anderson hasn't shown signs of decline and he started his career late so its actually likely that he still stays a starter for the end of this contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad