Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Matt Dumba to a 1 year, 3.9M contract

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Add Karlsson to this mix of things up in the air and maybe this is why dumba is biding his time. Maybe more options open up. But maybe more doors slam shut.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The fact that Craig is even talking about this seems like it’s close to a done deal. He never talks rumours or speculation.

Still, I hope we have given Dumba some sort of deadline. Can’t put our off-season on hold while he decides.

Reactions: Prarievarg

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The fact that Craig is even talking about this seems like it’s close to a done deal. He never talks rumours or speculation.

Still, I hope we have given Dumba some sort of deadline. Can’t put our off-season on hold while he decides.
Sounds like number starts w a 5 and there are aren’t many teams that can fit that into their cap.

rt

May 13, 2004
Isn’t DeAngelo back to Carolina a done deal, just waiting on a bonus payment or something like that?

I get that they’re maybe moving Pesce, but they already signed Orlov.

Yet, there’s these Pesce and Karlsson rumors that I really don’t understand.

——

If San Jose is able to move Karlsson, they’ve certainly got room for Dumba but they’re in tank mode. Does he really want to play for a team that’s still losing on purpose? Doesn’t seem like a great situation for a guy trying to restore value.

——

Like Carolina, Dallas should be a contender. They’d have to move out salary to make room for Dumba. But like Carolina, can Dumba expect top minutes and quality usage? Will he sniff the power play?

Is his goal to be more of a depth player on a contender, or a big piece on a sub-bubble team that can up his value and go to a contender at the deadline? That feels like the best of both. Pad stats for 60+ games and build back value, then go to playoffs anyway and look for a chance to shine. Then sign the big ticket.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
DeAngelo can't get traded back to Carolina until after July 8. He signed with Philadelphia on July 8, 2022, after playing the previous season in Carolina, and it sounds like Philadelphia will be retaining some money on the trade back. In order to do so and not be cap circumvention, it has to be 1 calendar year after the original trade.

rt

May 13, 2004
DeAngelo can't get traded back to Carolina until after July 8. He was traded from Carolina to Philadelphia on July 8, 2022, and it sounds like Philadelphia will be retaining some money on the trade back. In order to do so and not be cap circumvention, it has to be 1 calendar year after the original trade.
Gotcha. So why the Dumba interest? Not that they’re terribly comparable but they did also sign Orlov to a big deal.

rt

May 13, 2004
They’ll have Burns, Pesce, DeAngelo and Chatfield on the right side come the 8th. I don’t get it.

On another note, why are the flyers apparently so desperate to get rid of Sanheim? How badly has he fallen off? Or is it just getting out of the $50 million dollar commitment?

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Dumba is holding out for Dallas. I heard Nill is looking to move Marchment to free up $$$
Marchment is a BA type and his deal was heavily front loaded. Gets much cheaper in cash after this season. Does have a 10 team NTC but we aren’t necessarily on it.

If Dumba wants Dallas, and we’re out of the running, then they trade us Marchment and sign Dumba, I’m ok with just signing Caleb Jones and calling it good.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Kerfoot-Boyd/Cooley-Zucker
Crouse-Bjugstad-Maccelli
Marchment-McBain-Guenther
O’Brien

Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Brown
Jones-Soderstrom
Stecher

Vejmelka
Ingram

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If he’s waiting for Dallas to clear cap space then I’m not sure I want him. Not that I blame him for waiting for a better team, but not sure it makes sense for us to wait on him while he waits on something else.

Another poster got bagged on suggesting we were being used as a negotiating point a few days ago.

Maybe we are legit in it, but it could be another JVR situation just as easily.

Reactions: FinnishCoyote

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd love to make something work where we land Marchment and are able to move another forward for Hanafin. But there's not expandable forward on our roster really that holds value
Guess it's a good problem to have.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Dumba sucks at hockey. He is clearly on a steady decline. Why would we want him? We shouldn't just sign players for the sake of signing them.
You might be right. I haven't watched enough of him lately to have my own opinion. Our pro scouts clearly disagree with you though, and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Another poster got bagged on suggesting we were being used as a negotiating point a few days ago.

Maybe we are legit in it, but it could be another JVR situation just as easily.
I don’t think it was the suggestion so much as the declaration. ;)

Given that of the two bigger names left on the UFA market, Dumba is the one who hasn’t fired his agent, I’m guessing he’s still aligned with their strategy. It’s their strategy I’d like to better understand.

It seems to me they may be waiting on some change to the market that they feel will improve their position. Is it just seeing how things shake out with the big trades? Karlsson, DeBrincat, the Jets, etc. Hope that perhaps that somehow opens another option and drives his value higher?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Me waiting for a Dumba announcement…

1688675935986.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad