Confirmed with Link: Coyotes acquire Jason Demers(12.5% Ret) from Florida in exchange for Jamie McGinn

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
FWIW I hate "Daddy" about as much as I hate people calling Goligoski "Gogo".

Here's my "old (wo)man yells at cloud" opinion about some of our team nicknames.

Nicknames I don't like:

Niklas Hjalmarsson - Hjalms, Hammer
Alex Goligoski - Gogo
Jason Demers - Daddy

Nicknames that are fine:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson - OEL
Niklas Hjalmarsson - Chalmers
Alex Goligoski - Goose
Jakob Chychrun - Chickenrun

Now get off my lawn.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm still trying to figure out where "Chalmers" came from.

The first couple syllables of "Hjalmarsson" sound like "Chalmers," if you use a hard J sound.

latest

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah that's fine and all, but run a search for "Chalmers" on the Blackhawks board.

There's only one post with that word in it and it's about Mario the basketball player. It just sort of appeared out of thin air once he got traded here.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome job by Chayka. Demers had a poor season last year but I think he'll rebound being reunited with Gogo. And the cost was just a very expendable winger in McGinn.

Our blueline is on paper probably the best it's been since 2012. Hopefully it translates to success.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
FWIW I hate "Daddy" about as much as I hate people calling Goligoski "Gogo".

Gogo is the worst, personally I Doan care, as I would never use a nickname (other than OEL) in describing a player. OEL is fine, as it's initials.

Having said than I may have used Hammer once, as Hajalmarsson is quite the spell. :laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
There's some Q and A's up on the yotes website, one with Demers. It was sad, he mentions how once he was told he got traded here he called up his friend on the team to tell him how excited he was. Unfortunately(for Demers) that friend was Mcginn, Demers obviously hadn't heard he was the guy going to Florida.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At an average of 3.55m (in real dollars) over the next 4yrs, I think we have a steal in Demers. Especially when you subtract McGinn's money. He contributed nothing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
At an average of 3.55m (in real dollars) over the next 4yrs, I think we have a steal in Demers. Especially when you subtract McGinn's money. He contributed nothing.

Some people were saying Demers was overpaid at full price on the main board but I don't even think that's right. When you account for bloat in salaries over time, so long as he doesn't fall off a cliff it's not a problem.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Every time I want to feel bad for McGinn, I remember that he contributed absolutely nothing. I think about the way we rolled out the red carpet when he signed and I cringe. Domi's tweet and Sarah's story about the Demers call almost make me sad, but he didn't do anything on the ice for an entire year. I mean, stuffs gonna happen.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Then factor in the benefit of opening up a forward spot for the youth to battle in camp in to earn. The trade brings a few benefits which make it a solid move any way you look at it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think it was a steal, but he definitely filled a hole.

Every time I want to feel bad for McGinn, I remember that he contributed absolutely nothing. I think about the way we rolled out the red carpet when he signed and I cringe. Domi's tweet and Sarah's story about the Demers call almost make me sad, but he didn't do anything on the ice for an entire year. I mean, stuffs gonna happen.

McGinn had a very bad year, and most thought signing him was a mistake in the first place, especially for that amount. That may have been Chayka's worst move.

Then factor in the benefit of opening up a forward spot for the youth to battle in camp in to earn. The trade brings a few benefits which make it a solid move any way you look at it.

I agree.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Signing McGinn has been Chayka's only mistake. Thankfully he was willing to correct it. A lot of GMs would hang on to him for silly reasons. "What message does this send to UFAs?" "If I move on from him it will show I made a mistake".

Thankfully, there are consequences for poor performance.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Good trade. Especially with the retention. When I first heard of the trade I was wondering what was the + Chayka added.

Upgraded a position of need and created room for more youthful talent up front. McGinn had a bad first year with the Coyotes. I was hopeful for a rebound. It is pertinent to mention many Florida fans are saying the same thing about Demers - excited when they signed him but he had a disappointing year in Florida (though fancy stats and the fact his former D coach is now in Arizona and obviously was good with bringing him in).

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Signing McGinn has been Chayka's only mistake. Thankfully he was willing to correct it. A lot of GMs would hang on to him for silly reasons. "What message does this send to UFAs?" "If I move on from him it will show I made a mistake".

Thankfully, there are consequences for poor performance.

Not to make excuses for Chayka but it's also possible that McGinn is not a player Chayka would have signed without DT's influence. In the latest Sportsnet article he mentions that he has only had "complete autonomy to build the Coyotes for about three months now".

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Signing McGinn has been Chayka's only mistake.

Not to make excuses for Chayka but it's also possible that McGinn is not a player Chayka would have signed without DT's influence. In the latest Sportsnet article he mentions that he have only had "complete autonomy to build the Coyotes for about three months now".

I think Tippett might have wanted McGinn, but in fairness the McGinn we got was not the one we expected when we signed him. Another one of those situations where having hindsight in advance would have helped... :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad