Confirmed with Link: Coyotes acquire Jason Demers(12.5% Ret) from Florida in exchange for Jamie McGinn

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Are you guys really going to call him daddy? That's horrible.

Jumbo Joe started calling him that back in San Jose. Demers would say something to the effect of "Daddy needs a new pair of skates" so Joe started calling him Daddy and it stuck. If it's good enough for Joe Thornton, we should be okay with it, I reckon.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
While we're on the subject of demasculinization, i know i should be embarrassed to admit this but i watched the Bachelor in Paradise show with my fiance for the first time ever this last season, and Demers has an uncanny resemblance to one of the dudes on that show.

CGEPI7U.jpg

Demers on left, some dude named Derek on right.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Love this trade.

Demers is a guy Jim Nill traded for a couple years ago in Dallas, and as much as we throw around Obi Won Kenobi puns, J-Nilla is for real a wizard. Good skater, good shot, so-so hitter ... maybe a slightly faster, less bland version of Michael Stone. Plus another right shot. Funny that he got traded from SJS to Dallas in exchange for Brendan Dillon, and that was explained as large a lefty-righty swap.

Alright, so I'm happy ... time to scroll over to the main website to read camp news ... ahh, a story:

"There's some work to do," Tocchet said. "We've got to be pushing the pace a little bit more ..."

... and I'm thrilled. When's opening night?

did demers and goligoski ever pair together in dallas?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I were a Panthers fan, this is the sort of trade that would have me on Twitter all night, refreshing constantly in the hopes that some other part of the trade would be reported to even things out.

McGinn should have legit negative value. I'd have given up a late pick just to free ourselves from the salary burden, much less the fact that he's a 0-dimensional LHS on a team full of lefties who need minutes.

Demers isn't worth his salary but he's a legit top four guy who would be a stabilizing force even if Chychrun were healthy to start the year. The top 5 Coyotes defensemen are now signed through next season, with Demers and Goligoski signed through 2020-21 and Chychrun's rights controlled for six more seasons. OEL seems likely to stick around, too.

I agree, but I think McGinn is a bit more highly regarded in the NHL circles than on HF boards. I do think it is one hell of a deal though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schenn is a good defenseman. I really like him. He makes an excellent bottom 6 RHD.

Agree he is tolerable on the bottom pair, but I don't know how well he fits into our new model of active defense men.

Schenn played very well last year, and if he continues his play this year it gives us more flexibility in case of injury. We need Schenn in the line up for his toughness, especially with Chychrun out. With this trade it may cement Fischer and Crouse in the line up for this year.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This is exactly the kind of thing we need. We now have a strong veteran Blueline to let out young forward core be offensive minded and creative. They still need to work their ***** off on defense as well, but this kind of D group takes a lot of pressure off the young kids, especially the Rookies that are projected to be in the lineup. I'm stoked

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can't really remember the last time we entered a season where there doesn't appear to be a whipping boy. No McGinn, no Chipchura, no Moss, no LaBarbera.

Maybe Cousins if he racks up the PIMs or Louie if he struggles?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Can't really remember the last time we entered a season where there doesn't appear to be a whipping boy. No McGinn, no Chipchura, no Moss, no LaBarbera.

There's always He Who Shall Not Be Named to keep kicking around.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Only a little.

Personally, I'm not adverse to moving Goligoski down if he struggles or Demers up if Hjalms and OEL don't click with the Coyotes. Any of the following would be okay in my book:

OEL - Hjalms
Goligoski - Demers
Chychrun - Schenn

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalms
Goligoski - Schenn

OEL - Hjalms
Chychrun - Demers
Goligoski - Schenn

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Personally, I'm not adverse to moving Goligoski down if he struggles or Demers up if Hjalms and OEL don't click with the Coyotes. Any of the following would be okay in my book:

OEL - Hjalms
Goligoski - Demers
Chychrun - Schenn

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalms
Goligoski - Schenn

OEL - Hjalms
Chychrun - Demers
Goligoski - Schenn

I could easily see the last option as being the one that winds up getting used the most often once Chychrun returns from injury. Just seems like those pairings give the best combo of offensive and defensive power. Goligoski and Demers pairing seems decent, but neither appears to be overly physical, whereas Chychrun and Schenn have that in spades.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Quite the trade; relieved that there will be more experience in the blue line, it was needed even before the Chychrun injury.

I think McGinn will bounce back but even if he does, we really needed that solid RHD and I cannot see any downside to this deal.

Great work Chayka

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Very nice work from Chayka. Waiting until this late in the off-season seemed like he was done, but it looks like his patience paid off. Very quiet off-season on the trade front, post-drafts.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

This forum will find someone(s). My guess is one or both of the Minnesota guys: Goose and/or Stepan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00