Post-Game Talk: Cowpokes 6 - Jerks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Is it safe to say that the Jets remain consistently inconsistent as they have been for most of their existence in Winnipeg? I feel like I'm watching reruns of a very familiar show.
Imagine what Canuck fans must be going through tonight. They thought they were cup contenders but they give up 10 to a non playoff team. Seems like a very familiar show for them.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Imagine what Canuck fans must be going through tonight. They thought they were cup contenders but they give up 10 to a non playoff team. Seems like a very familiar show for them.
Jokes on them for thinking they were Cup contenders. I seem to remember seeing some folks sharing some stats that suggest their level of play isn’t sustainable

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Perfetti got and created some chances, he seems to be moving slower than usual though. I don't think Monahan fits there but we'll see if they figure it out. Perfetti and Ehlers seemed to be having a lot of fun with Namestnikov and honestly Namestnikov is probably playing with more effort than anybody right now. Monahan is great at anticipation as is Perfetti but they need somebody in there first to force the defending player into making a play. Barron and Iafallo can do that for Monahan, Namestnikov can for Perfetti and Ehlers.

Under this set up, it we would need to rationalize giving up our first for a PP / face off pro - that plays 10 - 12 minutes a night.
I see what you are up to here - and I'm a big fan of Names. I think he does end up on the second at some point (he deserves it and Bones loves him) - but it won't be Monahan moving down - IMO

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
As I mentionned in another thread at one point, it's not the line combinations

The same combinations that shat the bed today beat the 1st place team in the NHL 42 hours earlier

It's all about how they play
They didn't actually. 5v5 against Van was GF 2 - GA 2 with Van having the better underlying numbers. The PP won us that game and kept us in the game today. PP is now on fire, 5v5 is struggling.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
They didn't actually. 5v5 against Van was GF 2 - GA 2 with Van having the better underlying numbers. The PP won us that game and kept us in the game today. PP is now on fire, 5v5 is struggling.
Don't be a pedant

How about I say "these were the same line combinations used in the game 42 hours before when the Winnipwg Jets deafeted the Vancouver Canucks 4-2)?

Better?

Reactions: Jet

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
people really do overuse single game xgf.. it's not even the greatest thing with bigger samples

Reactions: Jet and Krauser

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I don't think Monahan looked good beyond the 1st, and even then his 3 goals weren't anything that he created, as much as I love garbage goals. 2nd line can't get much going, 3rd line looked good a few times until the puck went to Appleton and then he killed the play, 4th line was fine in limited ice time.
They need to promote Namesnikov asap

Appleton is nothing more than a 4th line player, unfortunately Perfetti is really struggling with his game, Iafallo will never score again but the I think Bones is okay with that, Nik is not accomplishing much. Toss tonight's game in the bin and rewrite the script tomorrow night
Hard to toss it but they will try. Lose to Minni and it will be anarchy!

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Sometimes our Vezina caliber goalie steals games. Winning doesn’t mean they didn’t poorly.

They struggle to beat San Jose, Chicago, Montreal and obviously Calgary.
Losing also doesn't mean they played poorly. Today they played poorly, but they've lost plenty of games recently where they were the better team. Hellebuyck's been fantastic but the team isn't relying on him nearly as much as they have in past years.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Under this set up, it we would need to rationalize giving up our first for a PP / face off pro - that plays 10 - 12 minutes a night.
I see what you are up to here - and I'm a big fan of Names. I think he does end up on the second at some point (he deserves it and Bones loves him) - but it won't be Monahan moving down - IMO
Considering how poor our powerplay and faceoffs have been, giving up a 1st may have been justified just to fix them. Monahan also penalty kills and would still be on the 1st powerplay unit, which would likely put him around 15 minutes a game. Also I feel like we're at a level of depth that we should be comfortable playing the 4th line more. They were our best line today.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Considering how poor our powerplay and faceoffs have been, giving up a 1st may have been justified just to fix them. Monahan also penalty kills and would still be on the 1st powerplay unit, which would likely put him around 15 minutes a game. Also I feel like we're at a level of depth that we should be comfortable playing the 4th line more. They were our best line today.
IDK - I think it's a stretch to see Monahan moving to the 4th. I can see Bones playing around with the second to make something work with him down the middle. He's only been here a few games - they need to give it a little time.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Agree. We are at our best when we roll four lines.
One of the teams issues has always been overuse of the top three lines and they naturally get tired. The relentless forecheck suffers when fatigue sets in.

Reactions: GNP and sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
They need to promote Namesnikov asap

Hard to toss it but they will try. Lose to Minni and it will be anarchy!
Yes indeed, pretend top 6 little Perfetan can't play with the big boys, too small, too slow, weak shot on the rare occasion he does get the chance! Not at all impressed especially when he was somehow gifted a top 6 role!

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Yes indeed, pretend top 6 little Perfetan can't play with the big boys, too small, too slow, weak shot on the rare occasion he does get the chance! Not at all impressed especially when he was somehow gifted a top 6 role!
He needs to put on 20 pounds of muscle to be effective or somehow become more like Marchand. Ehlers and Connor have speed going for them. He has hockey smarts but it does not make up for his lack of size so many lost puck battles.

Reactions: rkp and GNP

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bad scheif showed up - coasting again... Connor worse, pionk lost

Teams finally scores and decides to abandon the system

Guess we are not firing Lauer now that someone is actually playing bumper

I'd bring in another D though... peeke, lyubushkin, that level of guy... right now we have to hope McDavid pionk shows up for the playoffs and not I ate too many edibles pionk

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
As I mentionned in another thread at one point, it's not the line combinations

The same combinations that shat the bed today beat the 1st place team in the NHL 42 hours earlier

It's all about how they play.
Have to agree with this post, and basically the same thing Bowness said after the game, that this "was not Jets hockey." Jets are known for playing an effective defensive style of game, while allowing very few chances, and very few goals against. This was not the case today. Jets got away from their system, and paid the price.

What happens here, is you come off a high, by beating one of the top teams in Vancouver, and then jump to a 3-1 lead vs the Flames, and you start to feel invincible, and forget what got you here, in the first place. Jets gotta get back to Jets hockey, play their system, and be disciplined, and they will be fine. Use this game as a reminder as to how they must play, and they will be fine.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Not a great game...wasting a Monahan hat trick is frustrating. That said, utterly no reason to panic either,,,favourable schedule coming...we will be fine.
I am not sure how favorable it is they go from playing 3 non playoff teams to 2 cup contenders in the span of 10 days.
I guess we will see if they are who I think they are..

Reactions: hn777

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm wondering if some Jets are sick because after the 1st 10 minutes of the game alot of guys looked absolutely whipped out there. Honestly it looked like Ehlers was out for a Sunday morning skate, it looked like he wasn't even trying. Monahan, Lowry , Neo and the 4th line looked like they were trying but that's it. Shity that Monahan gets a natural hatty and then we just stopped skating and working .

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I'm wondering if some Jets are sick because after the 1st 10 minutes of the game alot of guys looked absolutely whipped out there. Honestly it looked like Ehlers was out for a Sunday morning skate, it looked like he wasn't even trying. Monahan, Lowry , Neo and the 4th line looked like they were trying but that's it. Shity that Monahan gets a natural hatty and then we just stopped skating and working .
The Jets looks sick, probably something like that.

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
he also said we didn't play winnipeg jet hockey and we will get back to that, they have alot of pride in the room

That was going to be my only post. They got away from playing 2023-24 Winnipeg Jet hockey. They have been phenomenally consistent this season with their defensive commitment but not yesterday afternoon. It was a shite game but Shit happens, no time to sulk, I expect them to return to Jets hockey today.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah this is why I wasn't huge on the Monahan trade. Ofc he had a big game and deserves major props for that. but talking pre Monahan ESV was fire, and Names with a combo of Ehlers/perfetti/Iafallo was doing v well as a second line. I haven't loved this teams play since tbh.
How do you figure that Ehlers/Perfetti/Iafallo were doing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca