OT: Covid19 (Part 14) Re-opening faceoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any news on daycares and schools? I’m at a loss with what to do with my son. Daycares are a Petri dish... so if he goes to daycare we can’t see family until a vaccine?

I'd keep him home as long as you can, especially the daycare child -- there's nothing that child is going to miss out on other than other kids' germs. So what if he skips daycares altogether until a vaccine is found.

For an older child, I'd see what arrangement is possible with your school. Maybe collect class materials and teach him at home, especially early grades, esp. if one of the parents will stay home. Maybe find out what kind of contingencies the school is providing for kids who are immuno-compromised or whose parents are not comfortable having their children in a school environment in the middle of a pandemic -- like following the class online.

Actually, this is what most schools should do -- have 50% of their class in attendance so that they can enforce better physical distancing in their classrooms and have the other 50% follow the class online. There will be no chance of adequate distancing with the usual 30 plus students in classrooms pre-pandemic.

If it were my decision, I would not have my child attend any group setting so long as we have clearance from a vaccine standpoint.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, outside of the CHSLDs, number of hospitalisation and ICU are good? Need to reopen some regions in about two weeks time. Let us in Gatineau be the guinee pigs for the rest of the province, as we have a city big enough to be a good sounding board.

As for Montreal, well...it's Montreal. What did you expect?

OK, King of l'Outaouais, are you suggesting there aren't covidiots everywhere? Of course Montreal has more, just goes with the fact of a much larger population than say ... Gatineau. :D

Reactions: dinodebino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Youll survive it but kill your grandmother and your immunodeficient relatives while doing so.

It is russian roulette, youre just holding the gun.

If the virus was as lethal as you make it sound there would be way more deaths.
The death rate is probably much lower than it is, the current rate doesn't consider asymptomatic people or people who've had mild symptoms.

Also, if the virus was still as present among the gen pop, there would be way more cases.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Are they still handing out tickets in Montreal? Doesn't seem to be talked about much this week.
One of my friend isn't doing to well and me and a buddy wanted to go walk with her to lift her spirits a bit. Seeing all these comments of groups of 4 or 5 playing sports in parcs. Wondering if cops see us if they'll give us a hard time or nah.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Are they still handing out tickets in Montreal? Doesn't seem to be talked about much this week.
One of my friend isn't doing to well and me and a buddy wanted to go walk with her to lift her spirits a bit. Seeing all these comments of groups of 4 or 5 playing sports in parcs. Wondering if cops see us if they'll give us a hard time or nah.
Apparently if you gather near Jarry park or little italy, no one will do anything. The reason I know this is because I went for a drive yesterday and it looked like pre-shutdown traffic in terms of pedestrians and cyclists.

Reactions: Crusher117

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I'd keep him home as long as you can, especially the daycare child -- there's nothing that child is going to miss out on other than other kids' germs. So what if he skips daycares altogether until a vaccine is found.

For an older child, I'd see what arrangement is possible with your school. Maybe collect class materials and teach him at home, especially early grades, esp. if one of the parents will stay home. Maybe find out what kind of contingencies the school is providing for kids who are immuno-compromised or whose parents are not comfortable having their children in a school environment in the middle of a pandemic -- like following the class online.

Actually, this is what most schools should do -- have 50% of their class in attendance so that they can enforce better physical distancing in their classrooms and have the other 50% follow the class online. There will be no chance of adequate distancing with the usual 30 plus students in classrooms pre-pandemic.

If it were my decision, I would not have my child attend any group setting so long as we have clearance from a vaccine standpoint.

It’s a difficult reality with no daycare. I’m almost willing to just get the damn virus if it means immunity. I’ve been working from about 730am to 9-10 pm while being constantly interrupted and complete lack of focus on important tasks. I had to tell my company to reduce the projects I’m on because I can’t keep up. This has been far more exhausting then just simply working a 60 hour week. My wife is also working so we take turns, which means me aimlessly driving for an hour or 2 so that she can have some peace and quiet.

Also I assume if my son gets it, my wife and I will be infected. Not many flu or colds that he brings home I didn’t end up getting... From what a friend of mine told me, he and his wife had it and it knocked them on their ass. Their two kids (3 and 1) got it too, barely any symptoms.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So, outside of the CHSLDs, number of hospitalisation and ICU are good? Need to reopen some regions in about two weeks time. Let us in Gatineau be the guinee pigs for the rest of the province, as we have a city big enough to be a good sounding board.

As for Montreal, well...it's Montreal. What did you expect?

You missed the mayor's presser, didn't you?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
OK, King of l'Outaouais, are you suggesting there aren't covidiots everywhere? Of course Montreal has more, just goes with the fact of a much larger population than say ... Gatineau. :D

Gatineau/Outaouais has been extremely spared for a mostly urban/suburban area.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I knew a gentleman who was born on a ship in the middle of the Pacific,what would that make him otherwise?

Now that I remember, we have a record of exactly this happening ...

dkDv8LJ.jpg

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s a difficult reality with no daycare.

There are going to be difficult consequences, no matter which decision is taken.

However, I would never be able to forgive myself if my child's well-being were compromised because of staying at a daycare during a pandemic. I'd be looking for any alternative I could find that provides a degree of safety that gives me peace of mind. Prefer to err on the side of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad