OT: Covid19 (Part 14) Re-opening faceoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Interesting tidbit, I spoke to someone who works as a food distributor, and apparently they are not sure how to handle the imbalance caused by restaurants being closed coupled with demand being higher in grocery stores. Not that there is not enough food, they actually have a surplus since restaurant demand is so low now. But when they sell to restaurants, it is in bulk and in different packaging. Whereas grocery stores use "marketing" packaging and smaller amounts. Apparently it is not so simple to just re-package all this food to be sold in grocery store formats, since this typically has to happen well in advance and it is expensive to do this. So it's possible we may start seeing some ugly looking packaging and an increase in bulk size food at some point in grocery stores.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Our BC Chief Medical Officer said no public event for the entire summer.....

CFL? MLS? Ouch

Yeah, I was supposed to see a sweet show last night and have a few concerts in July I guess I’ll be getting refunds on.

Was also going to L.A. for my bday for 2 more concerts but I can forget about those too.

Oh well, first world problems at the end of the day.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
BC curve presented last Friday. And even with that, they are not talking about reopening in BC for at least 3-4 weeks. A riot in incoming May 1, I predict you.

upload_2020-4-20_9-15-2.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, I was supposed to see a sweet show last night and have a few concerts in July I guess I’ll be getting refunds on.

Was also going to L.A. for my bday for 2 more concerts but I can forget about those too.

Oh well, first world problems at the end of the day.

Here’s your updated bday gift: you don’t have Covid-19. Best gift you can hope for.

Additional gifts at your virtual Zoom bday party bash: none of your family and friends have contracted Covid-19.

Optional unexpected gift: someone sewed you a mask.

The above is the wish list I have for my bday — I wish it for you as well.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Interesting tidbit, I spoke to someone who works as a food distributor, and apparently they are not sure how to handle the imbalance caused by restaurants being closed coupled with demand being higher in grocery stores. Not that there is not enough food, they actually have a surplus since restaurant demand is so low now. But when they sell to restaurants, it is in bulk and in different packaging. Whereas grocery stores use "marketing" packaging and smaller amounts. Apparently it is not so simple to just re-package all this food to be sold in grocery store formats, since this typically has to happen well in advance and it is expensive to do this. So it's possible we may start seeing some ugly looking packaging and an increase in bulk size food at some point in grocery stores.
This is a really interesting and important point.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Maybe the ugly packaged bulk food in grocery stores will translate in bigger savings for consumers. If so, bring it on, the uglier, the better.
Or they open their warehouses to the public for a few hours every week -- cheaper than buying retail but more expensive than their normal wholesale rates. I have a couple of manufacturer clients who do that regularly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is a really interesting and important point.

It’s a similar market dichotomy we saw in the TP industry. People no longer in offices using more TP at home but the TP manufacturers catering to businesses using different formats and packaging, not able to turn around in time to meet home consumer demand.

Except that in the grocery example just given, the restaurant products can actually be sold direct to consumer.

Reactions: groovejuice

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Here’s your updated bday gift: you don’t have Covid-19. Best gift you can hope for.

Additional gifts at your virtual Zoom bday party bash: none of your family and friends have contracted Covid-19.

Optional unexpected gift: someone sewed you a mask.

The above is the wish list I have for my bday — I wish it for you as well.

Yep, those are my sentiments as well. I’ve never been one to not reflect on how fortunate I am in the first place, even more so right now.

Thanks for the wishes and right back at you. What a time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Or they open their warehouses to the public for a few hours every week -- cheaper than buying retail but more expensive than their normal wholesale rates. I have a couple of manufacturer clients who do that regularly.

Good idea provided they’re able to control crowd sizes and enforce physical distancing.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It’s a similar market dichotomy we saw in the TP industry. People no longer in offices using more TP at home but the TP manufacturers catering to businesses using different formats and packaging, not able to turn around in time to meet home consumer demand.

Except that in the grocery example just given, the restaurant products can actually be sold direct to consumer.

Apparently the rail blockades also slowed things down which is making it more difficult to adjust.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Covid-19 opportunism: I’ve heard of one company in a non-core business using their 3-D printers to produce some hospital masks for hospitals.

However, it’s only a subterfuge in order to allow them to keep operating with their very lucrative non-core business and to have been able to issue letters to their employees showing that they are working in a business engaged in making products to fight the pandemic in case they were stopped by the cops as their employees headed to their place of work.

Doing so, they have forced employees to work at the height of the pandemic while unnecessarily putting them at risk by forcing them to interact with the buying public.

Not all altruism is what it appears to be. This particular company has never closed despite govt edicts applicable to all non-core businesses.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I liked the PM’s PC this morning where he asked the media not to mention the NS killer’s name so he doesn’t get the benefit of infamy.

What’s doubly sad for the family and friends of the victims is how they won’t even be able to hold a proper wake on account of pandemic restrictions.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ontario has revised their projections and they are far lower than even the "expected case" and optimistic case scenarios they initially presented. This of course assumes continued distancing measures. That's good news.

I really hope I am right about Quebec's cases being primarily driven by the CHSLDs (well, I would hope nobody gets sick but you know what I mean). The numbers support it, and logically it makes sense. But the government seems hesitant to give a breakdown of where these new cases are coming from, and it makes sense, since it could lead to a false sense of security. Even if 75%+ of new cases are only coming from CHLSDs it is still a critical point and we can't start relaxing just yet.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
BC curve presented last Friday. And even with that, they are not talking about reopening in BC for at least 3-4 weeks. A riot in incoming May 1, I predict you.

View attachment 342772

Well I do agree with them they shouldn't just reopen everything and things go back to how it was.
I keep a close eye with how they do things in Hong Kong with my gf still living there. They had a second wave 3-4 weeks ago when french expats came back to HK after going to Europe and ignored the 14 day mandatory quarantining order, they visited an area called Lan Kwai Fung which is a long strip of bars and restaurants, people drinking and socializing in the streets, a couple days later they tested positive for COVID and there was a spike in numbers. They shut down all the bars after, they closed servicing businesses like gyms as well, for a couple weeks. Most people worked from home but it wasn't mandated by the government.
HK had been able to contain the virus despite keeping everything open, everything. A couple frenchies screwed that up for them and their numbers were rising to over 100 cases per day, which hadn't happened in a long while.
They contained things early in January by telling everybody who came from China to quarantine for 14 days very very early on, and anybody who were in contact with anybody coming from China also had to do it. My gf's roommate had traveled there so her company made her work from home for 2 weeks.
I also cannot stress enough how people are extremely used to wearing masks there. Call it a coincidence, but just from a logical point...it simply makes sense. Shit comes from your mouth....have a barrier in front of it and it will limit the spread. I don't understand why people are fighting the use of masks, it's insane to me.

To that, they were also very careful with washing their hands, and they keep their public transports very clean. Their trains are very clean and they stepped up disinfecting even more.

Today, in HK, they had zero new cases. They are reopening things but still keeping some social distancing measures but since the very beginning, they never prevented people from seeing each other.
The government needs to relax some measures, little by little, and see how things develop.

Reactions: scrubadam

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Ontario has revised their projections and they are far lower than even the "expected case" and optimistic case scenarios they initially presented. This of course assumes continued distancing measures. That's good news.

I really hope I am right about Quebec's cases being primarily driven by the CHSLDs (well, I would hope nobody gets sick but you know what I mean). The numbers support it, and logically it makes sense. But the government seems hesitant to give a breakdown of where these new cases are coming from, and it makes sense, since it could lead to a false sense of security. Even if 75%+ of new cases are only coming from CHLSDs it is still a critical point and we can't start relaxing just yet.

almost 60% of the 877 deaths have been linked to Chlsds.

So it’s pretty likely that a large percentages of cases per day come from them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad