OT: Covid-19 Part 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Does anybody know why they suggested waiting 6 months for the booster? Was it because that's when it was shown to start to wane or was there another reason?

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Just like people wearing seatbelts are contributing to car collision, so your point is?

Also, it's not really "just like", especially with pre-Delta variants, but whatever.

Again, I don't think you understand how seatbelts and/or analogies work. I'm definitely not convinced, but keep on living in denial, spread the virus and contribute to deaths while fearing the evil seatbelt montrer or something... :laugh:

Not long ago you guys were still crying about how those who for health reasons could not get the vaccine needed to be protected, but you know what? Let's just pretend like they don't exist anymore and lump them in with the rest of the non vaccinated, and then blame whem when they get sick and die. :thumbu: After all, you need to party and have a good time, and the vaccine is a pass that allows you to do this while continuing the spread. Blinding yourself to the truth seems to be like a very under reported side effect of the vaccine...

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Does anybody know why they suggested waiting 6 months for the booster? Was it because that's when it was shown to start to wane or was there another reason?

I'm no immunologist but I think it's based on immune response and timing. In Quebec we ended up being fortunate because we spaced the first and second dose and that ended up providing longer protection. With the booster, if I understand correctly, it is a combination of when the protection from the second shot starts to drop plus a long enough wait for the booster to have a more significant long term effect. We'll see how long this one lasts.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015

Due to waning, Ontario's changing the booster waiting time to 3 months as of today.

Reactions: WinterLion

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Again, I don't think you understand how seatbelts and/or analogies work. I'm definitely not convinced, but keep on living in denial, spread the virus and contribute to deaths while fearing the evil seatbelt montrer or something... :laugh:

Not long ago you guys were still crying about how those who for health reasons could not get the vaccine needed to be protected, but you know what? Let's just pretend like they don't exist anymore and lump them in with the rest of the non vaccinated, and then blame whem when they get sick and die. :thumbu: After all, you need to party and have a good time, and the vaccine is a pass that allows you to do this while continuing the spread. Blinding yourself to the truth seems to be like a very under reported side effect of the vaccine...

Vaccines diminish the spread. I know it upsets you, but it's a fact.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No they're not. Just cause you think it and say it doesn't mean it's true. Also, nobody volunteered to be ostracized, that's just your imagination as well.

I don't know why you're pointing out the obvious, that non vaccinated are more likely to get sick and end up in the hospital... Where is the data showing the spread of covid in vaccinated vs non vaccinated people?
It's a public health issue that you consistently try to politicize. You do not have the right to put others in danger. And that probability is much higher when you are unvaccinated. It's about public safety and that trumps your right to go out for fast food.

Being unvaccinated results in:

- The virus propagating at a higher rate. Unvax'd have a greater chance of catching (and thus spreading) the virus.

- Hospitals being clogged. Postponed surgeries, attrition of healthcare workers... all kinds of implications with this point alone.

- Greater chance of mutation. This has resulted in the pandemic dragging out longer than it's had to.

The whole idea of the vaccine is to get things under control enough that we can try to live as close to normal a life as possible. If you aren't willing to do that... no problem. Don't.

But you don't have the right to go out and spread this stuff. It's a f***ing pandemic. If you want Arby's use Skip the Dishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryO and ArtPeur

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
These bullet points are all true. Though I want to add that losing one's job over it is coercion.
If you have to be onsite for your job... sorry no. Again, you don't have the right to spread this other people.

If it's a remote job? Different story.

Ahh yes, the houdini side effect that appears magically years later.
The third eye will appear sooner or later. Just wait...

Again, the purpose of the vaccine is to minimize risk enough that we can come close to living our normal lives. It's not 100 percent effective and never will be.

But there's a huge chasm between the risks posed by a vax'd or unvax'd person. Not only in spreading the virus but in the toll it takes on the health care system.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The vaccinated are spreading the virus just like the non vaccinated, and are contributing to deaths. I know this probably upsets you, but it's a fact.

The vaccinated that are getting covid spread the virus.
But there's less vaccinated poeple that is getting covid......that might upset you but that's also a fact

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
These bullet points are all true. Though I want to add that losing one's job over it is coercion.
Fair point. At that point it becomes a balance between public health and personal choice. Vaccines reduce risk of infection, which has a different level of importance depending on the job. For healthcare it seems like a no-brainer. For other sectors there's more grey area.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Keep telling yourself that while you spread the virus. And remember, don't buckle up, you wouldn't want to get into a car accident! :laugh:

giphy.gif

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No they're not. Just cause you think it and say it doesn't mean it's true. Also, nobody volunteered to be ostracized, that's just your imagination as well.

I don't know why you're pointing out the obvious, that non vaccinated are more likely to get sick and end up in the hospital... Where is the data showing the spread of covid in vaccinated vs non vaccinated people?
"Identity politics" and being "Ostracized" are make-believe memes to portray yourself as a victim. The reality is less sensational: Nobody cares what you do. Get vaccinated or don't get vaccinated, nobody is sending you flowers or banging down your door. Anyone is free to avoid vaccination and anyone is free to get it. Except the choice to NOT be vaccinated carries a higher risk of infection and transmission, and it means avoiding public places where they'd spread the virus. That's a fact-based health response to a pandemic. The debate over the vaccines effectiveness has passed. An anti-vaxer can re-enter restaurants and bars by simply taking a safe, effective and free vaccine. Their choice.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
My family's resto lost 2 group reservations yesterday of 40 & 25 people. This panic is stupid as ****, trust the vaccine and just make sure your elders get their boosters and we will be fine...

I understand that it sucks....and it really do.

But the reality is that we don't know how it's going to go......saying we will be fine is wishful thinking at best.
They way things are shaping up, the next 6 to 8 weeks could be a lot worst than anything we've seen before.

Could being an important word here....not saying it will be for sure.
Delta is rising, Omicron is coming too, just started......both have the potential to rise at the same time for the next few weeks in the best conditions for respiratory viruses of the year.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
That's false.

Research debunks myth that COVID vaccination promotes mutations

Vaccination greatly helps the body at stopping replication. Less replication, less mutation.

It's been theorized that many variants emerged from immunocompromised individuals, where the virus could replicate nearly endlessly.
I didn't say the mutations happen in vaccinated people. I said vaccination placed evolutionary pressure for the virus to evolve. Again, it's basic biology. The original strains can't infect the vaccinated as easily, so only the viruses with mutations will be able to go around and they got a clear field (le champs libre).

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
A big "THANK YOU" :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:to all those who refused to get vaccined. Way to go boys and girls !

To be fair, Delta and Omicron evolved from India and South Africa, where the vaccination rates were extremely low, mostly due to low supply. The anti-vaxxers here just don't know how good they have it.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't say the mutations happen in vaccinated people. I said vaccination placed evolutionary pressure for the virus to evolve. Again, it's basic biology. The original strains can't infect the vaccinated as easily, so only the viruses with mutations will be able to go around and they got a clear field (le champs libre).
That is very twisted logic.

Bottom line is this, if everyone were vaccinated there’d be far less opportunity for the virus to mutate at all because it would largely kill the spread.

Reactions: LarryO

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
"Identity politics" and being "Ostracized" are make-believe memes to portray yourself as a victim. The reality is less sensational: Nobody cares what you do. Get vaccinated or don't get vaccinated, nobody is sending you flowers or banging down your door. Anyone is free to avoid vaccination and anyone is free to get it. Except the choice to NOT be vaccinated carries a higher risk of infection and transmission, and it means avoiding public places where they'd spread the virus. That's a fact-based health response to a pandemic. The debate over the vaccines effectiveness has passed. An anti-vaxer can re-enter restaurants and bars by simply taking a safe, effective and free vaccine. Their choice.

I don't know what you're rambling on about. Let's stick to things I actually said and not make things up, shall we? It's not about me, never has been, it's about vaccines mandates being wrong. It would actually be more helpful to look those words up and try to understand what they mean, because identity politics and ostracising are exactly what's going on, the labels you feel like putting on these terms do not change their meaning in the least, and neither do they serve as a rebuttal to what I'm actually saying.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know what you're rambling on about. Let's stick to things I actually said and not make things up, shall we? It's not about me, never has been, it's about vaccines mandates being wrong. It would actually be more helpful to look those words up and try to understand what they mean, because identity politics and ostracising are exactly what's going on, the labels you feel like putting on these terms do not change their meaning in the least, and neither do they serve as a rebuttal to what I'm actually saying.
Incorrect.

You’ve consistently made government boogie man arguments and completely ignored the public heath ramifications of not locking down. You have also consistently framed this as the victimization of the unvaxed.

These are politicized arguments, not arguments geared towards what’s best for public health.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
The vaccinated that are getting covid spread the virus.
But there's less vaccinated poeple that is getting covid......that might upset you but that's also a fact

I'm absolutely devastated.
"But they're spreading it more! :tmi:" is a pretty weak argument. It's ok, keep pushing for the spread, you're doing a great job!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You claim anti-vaxers are victims of identity politics. You claim they're being ostracized. Your claims are sensationalized nonsense. Refusing a vaccine isn't an identity, nor is it a state of personhood that can be ostracized. Refusing a vaccine is simply a health choice. Like smoking. Exercising that choice means volunteering to stay out of public spaces.

Millions of people moaned about their 'right' to smoke indoors. Most realized their reasoning was flawed. The same will happen with anti-vaxers.

Reactions: LarryO and Justin11

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm absolutely devastated.
"But they're spreading it more! :tmi:" is a pretty weak argument. It's ok, keep pushing for the spread, you're doing a great job!

What's your point actually?

I mean, it's obvious that people who caught the virus is spreading it, no matter they're vaccination status but it's also a fact that unvaccinated caught the virus a lot more than the vaccinated people, so that group spread it more.

No one expect covid zero.....no one.
We just want it to be manageable.

Reactions: LarryO

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
You claim anti-vaxers are victims of identity politics. You claim they're being ostracized. Your claims are sensationalized nonsense. Refusing a vaccine isn't an identity, nor is it a state of personhood that can be ostracized. Refusing a vaccine is simply a health choice. Like smoking. Exercising that choice means volunteering to stay out of public spaces.

Millions of people moaned about their 'right' to smoke indoors. Most realized their reasoning was flawed. The same will happen with anti-vaxers.

And yet here you are using a pejorative term, labeling everyone who for whatever reason did not get the vaccine, whether it be due to a health condition, or disagreement with the coercive ostracizing measures, as an "antivaxxer". Sounds like you're in a cult or something, but hey this is definitely not identity politics. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad