OT: Covid-19 (Part 17) When the World is Running Down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I believe the vaccine will take about 5 years because this thing has the the potential to hit everything inside the body and is very inconsistent in what symptoms show up, so the weeding out the many potential complications will take time and very many studies.. It isn't just the lungs, but the heart, skin, etc. By then, what will be "The Great Purge" would have already been completed and the economies would have restarted well before year 5. Currently, the needs of the many is that health needs to be preserved, but eventually, people will run out of money and the needs of the many will be more economic than health-related.

Here's the great news: I have the solution for you!

It's not my solution, it's the one that the rest of Canada, the USA, and most of Europe will be implementing. It's the solution South Korea and New Zealand has been doing to bring down their infection rates to nearly zero. They will have eradicated this virus in their countries and will continue to keep it under control.

Best part? It's not a lockdown.

Test, trace, isolate. I keep repeating it, people keep agreeing, and then they turn around and say "we can't be locked in forever!"

Nobody is saying you need to be locked in forever. Nobody. Not one person said this, ever. EVER.

We CAN go back to a relative normal life with an effective test-trace-isolate program. We CAN reopen restaurants and stores and everything! You can shop! You can go for beers with friends!

But, we can't do test-trace-isolate when you have 1000+ new cases per day. We don't have the resources or manpower for that.

Keep the lockdown in place, and if anything we should INCREASE restrictions, until we get the grown down to a management rate where we can test, trace, isolate EVERY new case. Not only CHSLDs, not only Montreal North. EVERY NEW CASE.

Till then? We cannot reopen.

You guys want to limit economic damage? You want to see your parents again? You want to see your friends again and have a normal life?

Test, trace, isolate is the only way.

Reactions: zx81 and Toews19

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
There is some confusion around this. The author of a study (not sure if its the same in the article) says that he was misquoted by the media. They aren't saying kids can't transmit it, but it is rare. So like most things about this virus there is confusion and up in the air. Almost like the WHO debacle when they said there is no evidence you can't get reinfected and this was interepreted to say there is no immunity.

Children 'do transmit COVID-19' to adults, says researcher whose report was 'misunderstood' as evidence that kids cannot spread coronavirus

But one of the researchers that authored the review in question, Alasdair Munro, insists their findings were misunderstood, and that children can indeed pass the virus to adults.

"Children almost certainly DO transmit COVID-19," Munro, a clinical research fellow in pediatric infectious diseases at University Hospital Southampton, said on Twitter on Thursday, adding: "Growing evidence suggests children are less susceptible to infection, have milder infection, and are infrequently responsible for household transmission."

The Royal College of Pediatrics also corrected the record, tweeting that "a number of media reports, citing RCPCH, have incorrectly suggested that children cannot transmit COVID-19. This is not the the RCPCH position, nor is it based on evidence."

The confusion stemmed, in part, from a reference in the review to a study by the China/WHO joint commission. People interviewed by members of the commission could not recall a single episode where a child transmitted the disease to an adult.

So more confusion thanks to the WHO (masks, reinfections). Right now it seems that children can pass it on but its rare.

Thanks for the clarification, It's still great to see that you can mitigate the risk in schools.

Reactions: scrubadam

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Journalism has always been polarized. Editorial policies and biases inevitably make their way into news stories.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's all garbage. But readers add their own biases while reading - and people hate to have those biases contradicted.

May the 4th be with you all!

When people are talking about modern journalism being biased, I'm like WTF it was a common thing back in the day. At first, newspapers were created to represent its owners' views.

Reactions: MXD and Per Sjoblom

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
@MasterDecoy how is it back there man? On a scale of Bergevin to Pollock ?

pollock. Still gotta use that app when going inside buildings but, my street is opened and hell, even went to my nephew birthday party last night. 4 per table in restaurants, but still. School still closed

Can finally go and chill at friend’s bar terrace near my house

xenophobia still peaking. That’s fun time though

Reactions: Mrb1p

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
being an island helps alot :) . So glad to see NL doing good

Yes being surrounded by water really helps for sure. The NL Government put in a new rule in the past few days likely due to reports of out of province and out of country tourists still getting in to go see the icebergs and not doing the mandatory 14 quarantine. Now only full time residents of NL are allowed in apparently or if you have a valid reason to come in, like for work or returning from work and for other personal/family reasons but I haven't really read up on what this new rule allows.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I work for a global company, and online shopping is one of the industries that has boomed like crazy during the epidemic. Everyone is moving to establish an online presence now because they know nobody wants to go out to shop anymore.
Collateral damage. All industries will be hit if the economy keeps going down, just a matter of time.
But yes, you're good for now.
Curious, what is the strategy they have to prevent deaths from spiking? They published predictions that deaths will increase anywhere to 50-100 per day, which does NOT include CHSLDs. But they have not explained how they will manage this. The only thing Arruda said was "deaths will increase, but not too much I hope."
Can't help you there, no idea what their strategies are.

I think there is something about test-trace-isolate that you don't really understand. Because in your mind, it is a good idea to reopen when cases are still growing steadily, when we have zero idea of how much this has spread outside healthcare and patients, when we have no capacity or plan in place to do it effectively.
I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea, I'm saying it's necessary. They need to do it asap, progressively, with businesses putting in new strict measures.
I said since the first week, test the asymptomatic crowd. They didn't do it and it doesn't appear like they will.
It has nothing to do with wanting numbers to go down to "feel safe." The facts are that the growth rates, as they are, make it IMPOSSIBLE to test/trace/isolate every single case. The strategy here is that for every single new case, you isolate them, and if they test positive you trace back every single contact this person has had for the last 2 weeks, and repeat.
It has everything to do with numbers. If you have 10 000 daily cases, even if you can test-trace-isolate, you won't want to open up. If there's 4 new cases, without tracing, you'd probably be fine.
Week 7, no strategy, we still aren't even testing 10K daily, we still aren't telling people to wear masks, so..ya..I guess, let's just stay at home again indefinitely and in June we can still talk about whether or not we should wear a mask.
They reopened construction a few weeks ago, how many new cases have happened from construction workers?
How will you trace the contacts of 900+ new cases every single day, isolate them, and test+isolate every single person each of those 900 new infected people have been in contact with for the last 2 weeks? How will you do this when people are going back to work, taking the metro, working in stores with people flowing in and out? How many people have they hired to do this impossible task?

How will they do it when cases spike to 2000-4000 per day (excluding CHSLDs)? Cause those are Quebec's own predictions. They will test-trace-isolate 4000 people per day? Isolate their families too, since our plan now is for people to isolate at home?

If you truly isolate each of them then we are back into a defacto shutdown, except this time businesses are still open and hemorrhaging money on expenses when nobody is allowed to work or leave their homes.

If you are thinking this doesn't make sense, you are right. And that's because Quebec has no intention of implementing this kind of program which you yourself admit is a necessity.

As it stands, the infection growth in Quebec is almost double all the rest of Canada combined, including Ontario. There is something wrong here, it does not make sense. We have some of the worst per-capita numbers ON THE PLANET.

And yet, we currently have the MOST aggressive reopening plan in all of Canada. More aggressive than places which have managed to control their outbreaks and grind new cases to zero. Ask yourself if this makes sense to you. Ask yourself if you really think we have this under control.

And with the outbreak growing out of control, what happens to vulnerable people? I keep seeing people here saying things like "isolate the vulnerable and let the rest of us get back to work." How f***ing convenient eh? Isolate them until when exactly? The infection rates are not getting better, they are getting worse, and they will increase significantly after we reopen as per Quebec's own models and predictions.
First, you're confusing Greater Montreal with Quebec. Mtl is unique case and nothing has reopened yet.
Second, we still don't actually the prevalence of this virus in most of the population.
Third, we don't have the most aggressive plan...a lot of European countries have similar reopening plans, each with a few differences. Some countries didn't even officially lockdown.

If it's not safe for your parents to go out now, why will it be safe when cases are at 2000-4000 new cases per day? How will you tell your parents that they need to keep staying home indefinitely?
Again, would it climb to 4K??? We do not know how prevalent this virus still is.
My parents are in the vulnerable age, so they stay in. Never said 70+ should get out and party.

Honestly man, I really wonder how your perspective would change if this virus was most dangerous to people 30-50 instead of 60+. Would you be clamouring for this thing is spread uncontrollably if it meant you could no longer leave the house at all?
30-50 crowd is pretty much the vast majority of the workforce. So obviously, it would be different.
I'm not saying let this thing spread uncontrollably, that is your issue here. I've repeatedly said we need to learn how to live with this and do it asap.
Stay home and wait....indefinitely....until what?? What are you waiting for? For them to put in strategies that you, yourself, don't think they'll do or can do.
At the end of the day, it comes down to this. You can't have it both ways. You can't say you want to reopen when the virus is still spreading at it's peak (and growing) knowing full well that it will increase significantly once the lockdown is lifted... And still say you want to control spread via test-trace-isolation.

These things are mutually exclusive.

You don't actually know it'll be a significant increase, and a lot of the numbers are skewed based on the type of test, standards applied to test positive, targeted demographic, number of tests.

As I said before, we reopened construction and landscaping 2 weeks ago, more businesses are following suit today in regions. So we should see a pretty decent rise in numbers by the end of this week if this virus is still as present out there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
pollock. Still gotta use that app when going inside buildings but, my street is opened and hell, even went to my nephew birthday party last night. 4 per table in restaurants, but still. School still closed

Can finally go and chill at friend’s bar terrace near my house

xenophobia still peaking. That’s fun time though
Appreciate the reports man

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Only said the ''commerces'' tho. Which means only the stores for the moment.

.... That means non-essential manufacturing will restart on May 11th?
(I'm trying to see what else would reopen on the 11th)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
.... That means non-essential manufacturing will restart on May 11th?
(I'm trying to see what else would reopen on the 11th)
From what I gather, everything meant to open on 11th in Mtl is pushed back to 18th.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
@llamateizer , I'm looking at your data (tab Data) and it would seem that inactive cases are growing faster than active cases. Inactives cases "include" deaths, right?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
a bunch of 6-8 years old who havent seen their friends in a while, yeah distanciation, sure!

the plan is to bring back kids in because they may not be affected by the virus if they get it but they can spread it though there is that.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
When people are talking about modern journalism being biased, I'm like WTF it was a common thing back in the day. At first, newspapers were created to represent its owners' views.

Absolutely. I wasn't implying this is anything new. Some of it is so poorly veiled though, and the need for confirmation bias outweighs good sense a lot of the time.

Reactions: Runner77

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
See, I was looking at that number and was mildly happy to see that we had more new inactive cases than new active cases yesterday. Then I realized that "Inactive" didn't only include "Recovered" :(

Sorry for the false hope ^^ .
But I think the number of recovered is way higher than declared.

Let's see if the number of testing increase will be shown this week

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
the plan is to bring back kids in because they may not be affected by the virus if they get it but they can spread it though there is that.

there's lots of adults in schools you know, teachers, admins, various tech, cantine, cleaning.

and Legault himself said it, masks not mandatory, and they will have protective gear available for all personnel (like in CHSLD right ? lol)...

lest not forget the only reason schools are reopening is so the parents can become available for work.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Journalism has always been polarized. Editorial policies and biases inevitably make their way into news stories.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's all garbage. But readers add their own biases while reading - and people hate to have those biases contradicted.

May the 4th be with you all!

My cynicism has less to do with biases in telling stories, but more to do with integrity vs self-interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad