OT: Covid-19 (Part 17) When the World is Running Down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This is something the government can help with a lot more than the alternative, a massive spike in infections/deaths for the sake of saving the economy.
Government can help, doesn't mean it will do a good job at it, and it will never match the hard work done to have a successful restaurant or bar running for a decade. It's a career, a life, it's not just about throwing a bit of cash and you call it a day.

Reactions: THE HOFF

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sorry, I missed the 1PM party because I had to work.

Could someone please let me know when I'll be able to walk into an Apple store again? The suspense is killing me!

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Government can help, doesn't mean it will do a good job at it, and it will never match the hard work done to have a successful restaurant or bar running for a decade. It's a career, a life, it's not just about throwing a bit of cash and you call it a day.
I saw in the news today that according to CFIB (Can Fed of Independent Business) "32% of small business owners don't think that they will be able to reopen" ie survive.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

First, thanks for the link in the other thread.

Second, there is very little that can be done to fix what is going to happen to most business owners, at least not in the short term. The reopening plan does not include all business types and certainly, bars/restaurants/clubs are going to be low on the list of businesses to reopen. Not only that, but not many people are going to be so willing to start going back to these kinds of places until things get better. And that will not happen if you reopen when the situation is still critical and we don't really see a reduction in infection rates or spread. It doesn't benefit anybody to rush things.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
First, thanks for the link in the other thread.

Second, there is very little that can be done to fix what is going to happen to most business owners, at least not in the short term. The reopening plan does not include all business types and certainly, bars/restaurants/clubs are going to be low on the list of businesses to reopen. Not only that, but not many people are going to be so willing to start going back to these kinds of places until things get better. And that will not happen if you reopen when the situation is still critical and we don't really see a reduction in infection rates or spread. It doesn't benefit anybody to rush things.
Well I agree but it's so easy to say when you're not the one who's put blood sweat and tears into building a successful business who's getting ass raped.

Side note, restaurant could reopen. A lot of countries are doing it. You just lower capacity, spread tables further apart, new measures for staff, and limit groups to 3-4.
You could also do it for bars.
But for that gatherings would need to be allowed, but now, we can work together but we can't eat together..

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Almost 950 new cases since yesterday....Yes, lets start opening everything up again!

3d0553e480779345ec87ca994e2e38e4.gif

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That, or you start appreciating the beauty and marvelous bounty that is a Venus of Willendorf figure as you get older.

@ekof232

Very well written the whole post and knowledgeable as well, the famous cro-magnon statuette 24,000-30,000 years old.
I am lucky enough to have seen it at the Natural History Museum in Vienna.

Are you a teacher or a writer or both?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It’s in 11 days and 19 days for Montreal( schools ) that they are re-opening. Legault has said that if there are too many new cases they will keep the lockdown ...

I know, I just find that they're putting the cart before the horse. They didn't even have to say a date. Prove to us that the numbers are going down, then set a potential date.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I know, I just find that they're putting the cart before the horse. They didn't even have to say a date. Prove to us that the numbers are going down, then set a potential date.

I think the date was useful, in order to get people to prepare themselves, mentally and otherwise.

Whether that outweighs all other issues with the announcement is something else entirely.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I saw in the news today that according to CFIB (Can Fed of Independent Business) "32% of small business owners don't think that they will be able to reopen" ie survive.

What's the prevailing reason? Having to convert their working environment to enable social distancing?

A lot of these small businesses that offer personal services used to pack customers or overbook appointments to make ends meet. Now, they'll have to limit the number of customers on their premises and they'll have far less of them to service. Something will have to give. Landlords won't offer rent abatements so customers will have to pay more and if they won't, then I can see a lot of them closing.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well yeah, all of these guys need material.

However, none of them will dare give new artists or artists recently breaking in the industry, a chance. Always the same tired acts, same bloody platitudes.

Why don't they all scour social media and give different artists a chance? So shortsighted. And stale.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What's the prevailing reason? Having to convert their working environment to enable social distancing?

A lot of these small businesses that offer personal services used to pack customers or overbook appointments to make ends meet. Now, they'll have to limit the number of customers on their premises and they'll have far less of them to service. Something will have to give. Landlords won't offer rent abatements so customers will have to pay more and if they won't, then I can see a lot of them closing.

Landlords will probably have to do such a thing of they still want renters.

(Not necessarily abatements, but the situation will exercise downward pressures on rents)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad