Value of: Could Toronto acquire one of the following dman?

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Coming from a habs fan if toronto can find a way to get vatanen trouba or stralman without touching Matthews marner Nylander kadri marleau bozak or kapanen they'd be legit contenders

I say bozak because him at 3C guarantees you theee high end scoring lines

Jvr prospect and pick for one of those d men and the leafs are a top contender for next 5 years

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would prefer Pysyk

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Pysyk
Hainsey Carrick

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We just need a two year placeholder until Liljegren is ready.

Doughty?

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Would the leafs do liljegren for vatanen or something around some adds to that

Out of curiosity

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
the ducks would ask marner/nylander for vatanen/montour?

yeah right. also pretty sure the canes would do pesce for marner in a heartbeat, add in a + and they would have a heart attack. flames probably do it as well for hamilton considering marner would easily be a top line talent and they could still roll a giordano,hamonic,brodie and stone top 4

I think you're overrating Marner/Nylander.

Actually, I think its moreso that you're underrating the amount of value Dmen have. Especially very good Top 4D. The Hall/Larsson trade was the first indication of the massive difference in value between good Wingers and Good Dmen. But it was further proven when Drouin(And established Top 6 and borderline Top line Winger) was traded for a D prospect that has barely even seen NHL action at this point.

In a vacuum, Nylander/Marner are better players than the likes of Vatanen/Pesce/etc. but in the NHL today the premium on Defense is clear and if you're gonna acquire a teams good Top 4 guy it would take Marner or Nylander right now.

Just like how the Avs are looking at moving Duchene/Landeskog and are probably only going to get a Murray/Carlo/Fabbro/Maatta type of Dman back in return. Dmen that aren't even Top 4 guys at this point in time.

I think it's a big reason why trades are just not materializing at all in the league right now. The teams that have Dmen potentially available for trade are demanding extremely high returns, and the teams looking for those Dmen are reluctant to pay that price. Which is also why I dont think Toronto will trade for a Dman and perhaps they shouldn't do it anyway.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
In the end, Toronto should trade one of Nylander/Marner for a D. But, they won't.

yeah, that makes more sense than letting just one of Liljegren/ Dermott/ Nielsen develop into a top 4 dman

SMH:shakehead

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not close.

JVR on an expiring contract isn't close to the value of Muzzin signed for 3 more years on a great cap hit.

JVR Signed would still require a sizable + and not just a throw in piece like Marincin/Marchenko are.

It was actually a proposal by a Kings fan in the JVR thread...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not close.

JVR on an expiring contract isn't close to the value of Muzzin signed for 3 more years on a great cap hit.

JVR Signed would still require a sizable + and not just a throw in piece like Marincin/Marchenko are.

no he woudnt. Muzzin was horrid last year. He only looks good playing with doughty. the leafs dont have a doughty type

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
And if so...for what?

Montour
Manson
Vatanen
Hamilton
Giordano
Hanifan
Faulk
Pesce
Seabrook
Brodin
Dumba
Ellis
Ekholm
Bouwmeester

Parayko
Stralman
Tanev

Trouba

Any of the bold ones should he available for pkgs of 1st/Kap/Brown/Liljegren/Dermott/Bracco/etc

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Dear fellow Leafs fans,

How many top pairing Dmen has Chicago, LA and Pittsburgh traded for?
If we're going to get our guy, its going to be one of the dman that we've already drafted or the off chance one reaches UFA (DD for example).
Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think you're overrating Marner/Nylander.

Actually, I think its moreso that you're underrating the amount of value Dmen have. Especially very good Top 4D. The Hall/Larsson trade was the first indication of the massive difference in value between good Wingers and Good Dmen. But it was further proven when Drouin(And established Top 6 and borderline Top line Winger) was traded for a D prospect that has barely even seen NHL action at this point.

In a vacuum, Nylander/Marner are better players than the likes of Vatanen/Pesce/etc. but in the NHL today the premium on Defense is clear and if you're gonna acquire a teams good Top 4 guy it would take Marner or Nylander right now.

Just like how the Avs are looking at moving Duchene/Landeskog and are probably only going to get a Murray/Carlo/Fabbro/Maatta type of Dman back in return. Dmen that aren't even Top 4 guys at this point in time.

I think it's a big reason why trades are just not materializing at all in the league right now. The teams that have Dmen potentially available for trade are demanding extremely high returns, and the teams looking for those Dmen are reluctant to pay that price. Which is also why I dont think Toronto will trade for a Dman and perhaps they shouldn't do it anyway.

Methot was just traded for a 2nd and C prospect
Theodore was traded to vegas to NOT take manson/vatanen
Drouin (who isnt as good as marner/nylander) returned the 2nd best D prospect in the league AND a 2nd rd pick

I think you are looking to much into the Hall-Larsson swap.
If the leafs moved either it would be more of the Jones-Johansen type meaning they have to get a young guy who will no doubt be at least a #2. guys like Vatanen,Stralman,Montour, Pesce etc don't fit that build.
not to mention hanifin who you apparently think marner/Nylander + doesnt return (check the canes boards to see how wrong you are on that one. they would trade anyone not named slavin for marner).

we keep hearing the same dialogue about marner/nylander but it aint gonna happen. how many top 4 D are there in the league?
How many impact 19-20 year old forwards are there? probably about 10x less

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dear fellow Leafs fans,

How many top pairing Dmen has Chicago, LA and Pittsburgh traded for?
If we're going to get our guy, its going to be one of the dman that we've already drafted or the off chance one reaches UFA (DD for example).
Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Liljegren, Dermott, Nielsen. works for me.

wouldnt mind a cheap 2 year option (Methot type) to keep a spot warm for one of these guys

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Any of the bold ones should he available for pkgs of 1st/Kap/Brown/Liljegren/Dermott/Bracco/etc

Half those things shouldn't be moved IMO. Brown, Dermott, and Liljegren should be no starters.

JVR, Kapanen, Leivo, Komarov, Rychel, 2018 1st Rd, 2018 2nd Rd, is what is available IMO.

With those assets my 1st target is Tanev and if that isn't possible I then move on to Vatanen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And if so...for what?

Montour
Manson
Vatanen
Hamilton
Giordano
Hanifan
Faulk
Pesce
Seabrook
Brodin
Dumba
Ellis
Ekholm
Bouwmeester
Parayko
Stralman
Tanev
Trouba

Majority of those dmen are not available and would likely take Marner/Nylander in return.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Half those things shouldn't be moved IMO. Brown, Dermott, and Liljegren should be no starters.

JVR, Kapanen, Leivo, Komarov, Rychel, 2018 1st Rd, 2018 2nd Rd, is what is available IMO.

With those assets my 1st target is Tanev and if that isn't possible I then move on to Vatanen.

I'm predicting one of JVR/Bozak get traded for a 1st or 2 2nds. Then it is flipped with our own 2018 1st for Tanev.

2018 1st Toronto, 2018 1st (other team) for Tanev.

---Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
the ducks would ask marner/nylander for vatanen/montour?

yeah right. also pretty sure the canes would do pesce for marner in a heartbeat, add in a + and they would have a heart attack. flames probably do it as well for hamilton considering marner would easily be a top line talent and they could still roll a giordano,hamonic,brodie and stone top 4
Calgary wouldn't do that

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1