OT: Coronavirus XXXXI: 2nd Shot to the Arm But It's Not Too Late You Give Vaccine Procurement a Bad Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
While I'm in this thread, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine's Vax-a-Million has worked well in his state. Wonder if places like IL and AB will follow suit. I know in certain states they are giving away guns, trucks, etc... whatever motivates people to make the choice to become vaccinated.

So when you say "works well" this is just another cost on taxpayers backs. I mean seems like pretty silly largesse to me. I can see a bonus, or enticement of some kind. Free pizza, case of beer, some prizes whatever, but giving millions away seems overkill. Now we're going to pay doofuses to do what they should be doing anyway? Good think money grows on trees for this sorta thing..

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
So when you say "works well" this is just another cost on taxpayers backs. I mean seems like pretty silly largesse to me. I can see a bonus, or enticement of some kind. Free pizza, case of beer, some prizes whatever, but giving millions away seems overkill. Now we're going to pay doofuses to do what they should be doing anyway? Good think money grows on trees for this sorta thing..
Numerous companies are doing the same down here. They have people who have calculated that the ability to remove restrictions and resume "business as normal" up by weeks/months makes up for any potential payout/rewards.

Reactions: doulos

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I've been a fiscal conservative all my life, but right now there is a new reality setting in. Loans cost next to nothing, sometimes you'll be paid to take them. All because the bank can leverage your loan as an asset for their own investment business. It's really bordering on the part of ridiculous, but it is what it is. Nowadays the loans (where we are) are no longer a risk, it's a guarantee. Either you'll pay it back, or the State will fix it for you.

Money does grow on trees right now, or at least until the next crisis...

edit: sorry for going a bit off topic, I'll be good!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Numerous companies are doing the same down here. They have people who have calculated that the ability to remove restrictions and resume "business as normal" up by weeks/months makes up for any potential payout/rewards.

Well, its sad to me that we've reached a point in society where we have to pay people to be responsible citizens. I don't think many people had to be enticed to take Polio vaccine.

i get your point, I realize that, but..

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If we've learned one thing from this pandemic it is that money is not an issue, not for Government. For you, me and the guy next door, maybe. Not for the Gov.

Our current govt leaders will be long gone when the chickens come home to roost one day, when the amount of debt becomes an issue. But I’m sure they figure it’s somebody else’s problem, and all they care about is getting re-elected and having enough term to qualify for the lucrative pension.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
These vaccines better work. I have a lot of travel booked this summer.

If anyone is looking to book flights I suggest looking into it now. Flights across Canada are extremely cheap. The lowest I’ve seen in the last 15 years of buying flights.

Our family of four is flying from Edmonton to Victoria for $500 return this summer. It's just silly. My wife and I are thinking of going to Toronto for a weekend just for kicks. It's like $125 each return right now.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like our (Alberta's) carrot stick better. Get the shot and we can open up sooner. Looks like it's working.:D

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Our family of four is flying from Edmonton to Victoria for $500 return this summer. It's just silly. My wife and I are thinking of going to Toronto for a weekend just for kicks. It's like $125 each return right now.

I hate flying. I would never do it just for kicks. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
While I'm in this thread, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine's Vax-a-Million has worked well in his state. Wonder if places like IL and AB will follow suit. I know in certain states they are giving away guns, trucks, etc... whatever motivates people to make the choice to become vaccinated.

In the meantime, all the ones who got the vaccine of their own accord are going to be pissed that they didn't "hold out" or "wait" until the "prize round" started. I know I'd be.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
In the meantime, all the ones who got the vaccine of their own accord are going to be pissed that they didn't "hold out" or "wait" until the "prize round" started. I know I'd be.

As was mentioned earlier, the folks who were already vaccinated are also in the prize pool. They did not miss out.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I’m going to Ottawa return for $200. Normally I’d expect to pay around $500

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It doesn't matter when one was vaccinated to be eligible. The first person who received the shot in the state and the one who received it 15 minutes ago have the same eligibility.

Edit: Nevermind, it was addressed by someone else.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
All signs point to AB being at 70% within the next 5 days or so, and all restrictions removed 14 days later, so don’t think we could really open things up any quicker at this point if we added incentives now.
Was more so talking about where they already have incentives in place in places that don’t have the good citizenship that Alberta does. I agree that there wouldn’t be much benefit here.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It would easily make sense financially to spend a few million if it improves uptake. Beyond earlier openings the cost of treating covid patients has been estimated at about $30000. In Ohio alone the cost of dealing with hospitalzied patients would be close to $2B.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well, its sad to me that we've reached a point in society where we have to pay people to be responsible citizens. I don't think many people had to be enticed to take Polio vaccine.

i get your point, I realize that, but..
It is sad, I agree. But if it gets the job done and actually saaves the tax payer money you caan't blame him for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad