OT: Coronavirus XXI: School is Back in Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Some of us with immune compromised loved ones might not want that.

The fact is anything could kill an immune compromised loved one, at anytime. It could be covid, but it could also be the flu, or a bad bacterial infection. On the other hand we now have more people dying of drug addiction, and suicides thanks to the Covid restrictions. Alcohol sales up 700% since march in Alberta alone. The social and economic devastation will kill far more then the disease itself, but we're not hearing about that.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
The fact is anything could kill an immune compromised loved one, at anytime. It could be covid, but it could also be the flu, or a bad bacterial infection. On the other hand we now have more people dying of drug addiction, and suicides thanks to the Covid restrictions. Alcohol sales up 700% since march in Alberta alone. The social and economic devastation will kill far more then the disease itself, but we're not hearing about that.

Not only that but heavy sack beatings are up a shockingly 900%.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Everyone could do their part to prevent huge increases in numbers if they don't like stuff being shut down. After 7 months people still can't be bothered to be careful.

More and more people just aren't giving a crap anymore. I was mulling over whether I wanted to go back and hit the ice with a safe group in Oct but I'm likely opting out. One of my buddies is telling me there's a lot of guys playing now that think covid is an absolute joke and aren't taking any precautions in hockey or their daily lives anymore. One of these munsons (and he looks like one) has a bunch of pics of him and a group of buddies getting super close and hugging each other at a bar with the caption... "covid ain't s***"

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
not sure about drug deaths, but drug use is up huge in the States...particularly fentanyl

jld200097t1_1600373104.46167.png

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
More and more people just aren't giving a crap anymore. I was mulling over whether I wanted to go back and hit the ice with a safe group in Oct but I'm likely opting out. One of my buddies is telling me there's a lot of guys playing now that think covid is an absolute joke and aren't taking any precautions in hockey or their daily lives anymore. One of these munsons (and he looks like one) has a bunch of pics of him and a group of buddies getting super close and hugging each other at a bar with the caption... "covid ain't s***"

Hard to put a percentage on it, but my guesstimate is about 20% don’t give a shit. Decided months ago that I can’t control what other people do, so I’m trying not to get too pissed when I hear stories like this. Just living my life in my quasi bubble, which is probably about 95% similar to pre Covid, so not too bad.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only if it moved right in front of City Hall, then they would.

lol that they are just shifting this thing around.
It's f***ed IMO. I said it before and am not surprised that this is happening. They weren't strict with them the first time, so why is it a shock that they continue to dick around.

Everyone is afraid to say anything nowadays as you would look bad in the public eye. Yet the more you allow this to happen the more it opens the door for others to dick around and do the same.

I know it's not the same scale, but you always see in movies and TV. "We will not deal with terrorists, because you deal with one and it opens up the door for others"

Time to start actually enforcing your laws regardless of the PR behind it.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Testing results off the charts on the weekend. doing about 16k a day, highest its ever been. Those resources have been rolled out in spades. The provincial jurisdiction is really dealing with this about as well as any. Deserve some credit. Even given the highest testing the numbers are in a holding pattern. Thats a positive in that less proportion now even of symptoms cases (what they are primiarly testing now) are turning out positive. less than 1% now.

Millwoods sucking though. now over 90 cases and moving into worst in city numbers.
Wasn’t Millwoods over 150 at one point? It seems now that they are just throwing out random numbers everyday. They locked us all down when we had less than 600 cases in the whole city but opened back up when there were over 500 active cases. It almost seems like they just keep moving the bar whether we have lots of cases or not. I know tons of people that have recently tested negative. Their kids had a cold and they were forced to isolate and lose days at work because they might have a sore throat or light cough. Honestly it seems like it’s all being blown outa proportion at this point. Protect the ones who are vulnerable and use the known facts that we now have to get back to normal.

Reactions: oilers'72

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Hard to put a percentage on it, but my guesstimate is about 20% don’t give a shit. Decided months ago that I can’t control what other people do, so I’m trying not to get too pissed when I hear stories like this. Just living my life in my quasi bubble, which is probably about 95% similar to pre Covid, so not too bad.

You're right. There'll always be those kinds of people out there. It just the rest of us have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Like people who want to try to go play some hockey/get some exercise while trying to stay safe. Guys like that ruin it for others. Make it a whole lot more dangerous.

Reactions: harpoon

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Wasn’t Millwoods over 150 at one point? It seems now that they are just throwing out random numbers everyday. They locked us all down when we had less than 600 cases in the whole city but opened back up when there were over 500 active cases. It almost seems like they just keep moving the bar whether we have lots of cases or not. I know tons of people that have recently tested negative. Their kids had a cold and they were forced to isolate and lose days at work because they might have a sore throat or light cough. Honestly it seems like it’s all being blown outa proportion at this point. Protect the ones who are vulnerable and use the known facts that we now have to get back to normal.

It's hard to "protect the vulnerable" when the cases continue to rise though. Everyone knows people who may be vulnerable and live with them or in contact with them personally or (like care workers in care homes) have to work with them. Vulnerable doesn't just mean 90 year old with a bunch of pre-existing conditions. It could be a middle age, relatively health person with asthma or diabetes or are pre-diabetic, obese, smoker etc etc. There are a fair amount of people like this in our society who we have long considered "normal" in our society and you likely run into dozens of them in your daily errands.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Basically that life is full of risks regardless so why bother.

Of course, but they could still be exposed by someone's stupidity.
Honestly if someone is in that bad of a situation then it's really not someone else's stupidity. I know a few people that are scared because they are older and they've made the decision to just not be around people.

There are a lot of things that people can do nowadays that they couldn't say 5 years ago to limit their contact with people. You can essentially live without having to see someone for quite some time.

Reactions: nabob

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Honestly if someone is in that bad of a situation then it's really not someone else's stupidity. I know a few people that are scared because they are older and they've made the decision to just not be around people.

There are a lot of things that people can do nowadays that they couldn't say 5 years ago to limit their contact with people. You can essentially live without having to see someone for quite some time.
You still need to go get groceries, go to the doctor, etc.

Unfortunately there are people out there who fully believe that COVID is a hoax or some kind of conspiracy.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad