OT: Coronavirus XXI: School is Back in Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
COVID-19 school status map

The Incubation period was something like 2 weeks after infection iirc. We are now 3 weeks into school and currently have 35 schools that have reported positive cases.

Ya it's early. I'd wait til at least Oct/Nov/Dec when it gets cold and time has allowed it to fester to see what happens. Hopefully it stays "low" in schools. However another factor is that potentially many kids may not even feel much of any symptoms thus "slip through the cracks" as far as testing and confirming that they carry the virus (because what would even prompt them to get tested for covid if they're feeling relatively fine?). It may only present itself in the form of their parents getting ill from the kid's being asymptomatic carriers and infecting them.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
How many schools are there? 35 of how many have had positive cases?

Not really sure, it all depends on what types of school you count; public, separate, charter, francophone, private, federal. There are 379 school authorities or divisions in the province each with any number of schools under them. Edmonton and Calgary have 0ver about 700 recognized school between them.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not really sure, it all depends on what types of school you count; public, separate, charter, francophone, private, federal. There are 379 school authorities or divisions in the province each with any number of schools under them. Edmonton and Calgary have 0ver about 700 recognized school between them.

Thanks.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Ya it's early. I'd wait til at least Oct/Nov/Dec when it gets cold and time has allowed it to fester to see what happens. Hopefully it stays "low" in schools. However another factor is that potentially many kids may not even feel much of any symptoms thus "slip through the cracks" as far as testing and confirming that they carry the virus (because what would even prompt them to get tested for covid if they're feeling relatively fine?). It may only present itself in the form of their parents getting ill from the kid's being asymptomatic carriers and infecting them.

That is a fear absolutely. Right now in our school at least if you are exciting any symptoms you are not to come in, even if you feel “relatively fine.” If they come to school and have symptoms they get sent home. Students then have a choice, they can stay home for 10 days or get a Covid test. If you get a test and it comes back negative then you are cleared to come back before the 10 day even if you still have symptoms. So if you suffer from say seasonal allergies and have a persistent runny nose, sneezing, etc you can get the test can come back to school if it is negative.

Reactions: HK97

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
The government and economy can't afford another shutdown. I believe schools will remain open. The 80+ year old crowd is the most vulnerable and 260 deaths in Alberta in 7 months. It's tough to justify shutting it all down again.

It is tough to justify shutting it down the first time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have not been paying attention on our numbers in Alberta lately but it sounds like opening schools, so far, has not caused as much of a spike as I thought it would.

Yep. So far its worked out. As others have mentioned we would be seeing the infections by now even given lengthy incubation periods. yet in the age demographics its primarily age 20-40 getting Covid currently. Not school age children. Very few are testing positive.

Contrast to Denmark, who as recently as 2 weeks ago were said to be showing a model to the world (they ignored distancing, ignored masks, promulgated fear was bad, and they are having exploding case numbers by now. So odd. A country that wasn't hard hit in first wave is hard hit now, and feeling it, and made all the mistakes (which I said 2 weeks ago) that most other countries have learned from. Denmark wasn't taking this serious, and now they got more infections than ever. There was even pictures showing a Denmark teacher leaning into children, touching them, saying they need close contact for learning, and modeling how to basically spread infection.... Wonder what those teachers are thinking now.

heres the exact article. Doesn't look so great now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/denmark-schools-covid-19-pandemic-1.5720508

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On the flip side there are things that Denmark did that are helpful. Putting a priority on opening schools vs bars and restos. Kids education should be the priority everywhere. Society exists to raise kids.

They have one assigned bathroom or toilet per class, have classes outside as much as possible, and opened schools up in spring so that they could utilize the warmest time of year to do that. Those were all good plays. School here, in retrospect could have stayed open. Or closed, and then reopened in May, but with the intent to have school all summer and fall. Why not? If we had done that we could stop school in November, and avoid the hard hit flu months of Dec, Jan, Feb, March.

It was kind of silly to stick with normal school years. Should have been staggered differently. but probably teachers here would be less happy about giving up their summers. Teachers in Denmark were happy to serve it seems and do what was necessary. Which means school in Spring, summer, fall, and classrooms outside. This is what we should always be doing in our Canadian climate in anycase.

Never made sense to me going to school in the worst weather, blizzards, snow drifts, only to get sick and sent home.. The September-June school season in Canada does not make sense. School should start in March and end sometime in November or December. If we kept kids out of school during the flu months our whole society and productivity would be so much better off.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
With the wearing of masks, more education and knowledge of the disease, and protection of the elderly,I don't think you'll see the intense lockdown measures of last March.

Yeah, seems unlikely to see one again. The main value of the first lockdown was giving time to try to organize our terribly run care homes. There was no way around it, and it was the same situation all over the country, in the USA, in Sweden even, etc... Care homes were not in a state to allow for the virus to run rampant in the community if you wanted to avoid a lot of deaths and the virus washing it's way through various homes. Quebec delayed their lockdown 2 weeks after us, and they paid the price. Their hospitalizations and ICU numbers perfectly matched AB's worst case scenario (per capita) presented back in March. We avoided it, Quebec lived it.

Now, we know who is most at risk, we have protocols in place if a case enters one of those areas. The lock downs maybe happen for places that the youngins are partying without any regard for safety, but a large scale lockdown, can't see it happening. There will be more classrooms quarantined as well, but with masking spread should be very minimized in the classroom settings. How little outbreaks we've seen in schools with the number of individuals that were present that tested positive is a very good sign for how the safety protocols are working.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With the wearing of masks, more education and knowledge of the disease, and protection of the elderly,I don't think you'll see the intense lockdown measures of last March.

Some other factors. We now have an abundance of masks of almost all types in supply, people have been able to acquire, purchase those for months. We have sanitizer on sale all over, we have disinfecting spray on shelves, we have all kinds of disinfectants on shelves, Gloves, ppd, you name it. We have all the supplies now for a pandemic, that we should have had for a pandemic, that we didn't have any of prior...

So thats a major factor.

Heres a bonus as well if people stick to their guns with hygiene and masks and distancing and isolating. We won't have much of a flu season either and the common cold won't be so common. We could eradicate or limit so much of what chronically ails us if we take health care precaution more responsibly. Maybe it took a pandemic to teach younger cohorts to wash hands, be hygienic, etc. Or for people to simply stay home when they are sick.

Heres some anecdotes last year, pre pandemic. We went out to a Chinese buffet. One large gathering family in the restaurant were all sick. coughing, sneezing, all over the place. In a buffet. This was near Xmas. My immediate thoughts were they were contaging the whole place and lets get out of here as soon as we finish eating. But pre pandemic nobody says anything about this kind of behavior, they were respected repeat customers in the restaurant, and thanked for their patronage. But they filled the establishment with contagion. There needs to be rethinking of this.

Another instance I recall is a grocery store. Family, both parents in store, and brought all their sneezing couching children into the grocery store. Coughing and sneezing all over the bakery, produce, etc. Didn't occur to them I guess that one parent could shop and the other stay out with the kids. Maybe that type of consideration occurs now..

Personally I always thought it was ignorant for people to go to a bar, party, resto, movie, shopping, when they are sick. Stay the f*** home. Now, finally, this seems to be taken a bit more seriously and that coughing and sneezing and spreading plague or pestilence in public is damned ignorant. It always was.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Sounds like another potential outbreak at another care home. I found this...

"I just wanted to share that the there is a significant outbreak happening at this facility (Sheppard's Care Millwoods). The latest numbers I heard were 22 cases on just the 3rd floor, and two deaths so far. Those numbers were a day or two old. It sounds like a couple of care workers may have brought it into the facility (unintentionally I'm sure). I expect Hinshaw will announce it today or soon.

The reason I know this is because my grandfather went from asymptomatic to pneumonia and kidney failure from COVID within a span of about three days. He is dying alone at Leduc hospital palliative care and it is very painful to know he cannot say goodbye or be with loved ones (I hope he is just resting unconscious). Now I am 'praying' that my grandmother who was in close contact with him just prior to infection will not get infected. She also had visited two other relatives of mine who recently had surgery (one from heart attack) so you can see how COVID can spread like wildfire to high risk individuals through a few very basic events. My thoughts are also with the others who have lost or are going to lose people. Please remember that the social distancing and mask wearing you are doing is ultimately helping save lives, even if you feel distant from the effects of COVID."

This will continue to happen as the numbers rise. Family, friends etc of care workers will have a greater chance of carrying the virus as numbers rise and infect them and they bring it into these care homes.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
7vwen2ltijp51.jpg
Police told not to download NHS Covid-19 app

Some officers have also been told they may not need to obey self-isolate alerts generated by the app when downloaded to their personal phones

The BBC contacted the North-West of England force after a source said the advice had been given because of "security reasons".

The source also said officers had been told not to carry their personal phones while on duty if they had activated the app.

Reactions: Dorian2

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just had the worst 2 days of Covid-19 active new infections in the world. India, Brazil continue to be exploding numbers. All of Israel, UK, France, Spain, Ukraine with numbers right out of control and all higher than anything they have seen before. Think about that. several of those countries were overwhelmed before, caskets everywhere. Now its far worse than ever in those countries. This exploding in many other Euro countries as well. Holland now seriously introduced to the virus. Belgium again having problems.

The last week has started to be really bad news re the pandemic. Relaxing restrictions not working, numbers exploding.

To put it into perspective for instance how much Notherlands is suddenly struggling they have more daily cases than Germany, and Germany has 5X the population.

India now within 1M cases as US and will certainly surpass that and with far less testing. This is a bomb going off in India and in a crowded country that can not do anything at all to deal with this pandemic.

Funny how people use to talk about deaths as the accurate measure (and it is), now all I hear is cases. Look at countries getting a second wave. This time deaths are barely following or not at all. The second we flatten the curve, all the alarmist pick a different curve. You were probably going on about how Sweden paid a heavy heavy price a few months ago, now you probably don't mention Sweden. Just a guess.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Funny how people use to talk about deaths as the accurate measure (and it is), now all I hear is cases. Look at countries getting a second wave. This time deaths are barely following or not at all. The second we flatten the curve, all the alarmist pick a different curve. You were probably going on about how Sweden paid a heavy heavy price a few months ago, now you probably don't mention Sweden. Just a guess.

Is it 2022?

Wake me up when it's 2022!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Was talking to a neighbor earlier and asked him how the kids were handling the school thing. He mentioned that one of his kids has a cold, got tested, test came back negative, but the particular school asked them to keep the kid at home for the 2 weeks anyways. Just so there were no issues with catching the cold and spreading it this particular season due to Covid. Dad has to go to the school to pick up the homework which isn't a big deal for him as he's also working from home...like many of us are. I think that's a fairly reasonable approach till something changes with a vaccination or otherwise.....just to keep everyone as healthy as possible without causing unnecessary alarm.

What do you think?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Was talking to a neighbor earlier and asked him how the kids were handling the school thing. He mentioned that one of his kids has a cold, got tested, test came back negative, but the particular school asked them to keep the kid at home for the 2 weeks anyways. Just so there were no issues with catching the cold and spreading it this particular season due to Covid. Dad has to go to the school to pick up the homework which isn't a big deal for him as he's also working from home...like many of us are. I think that's a fairly reasonable approach till something changes with a vaccination or otherwise.....just to keep everyone as healthy as possible without causing unnecessary alarm.

What do you think?

The mandate is simple If you test negative you return to school when your symptoms are gone

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

What do you think?

Good. Should not be out and about when sick anyway. Hope this continues after the pandemic. Not for 2 weeks though obviously (unless the person is actually sick for that long). Also there's the potential for false negatives so it's still no guarantee the kid doesnt have covid.

Unnecessary to spread any virus around at this time (it's cold/flu season starting). It would just cause more chaos and worry.

Reactions: Dorian2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad